GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-14, 09:17 AM
mattorrell
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LFIL
The Thule roof cargo box we had (the biggest they make) hit the antenna on our 2013 GX. Instead of a roof box, we went with a Stowaway2 hitch box http://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-cargo-carrier.aspx. Easier to get stuff in/out, holds more weight, and no wind noise or reduced MPG.

Thanks this is helpful.. Anybody have experience with plywood, surfboard, etc hitting the shark fin antennae when using factory crossbars.?
Old 01-15-15, 08:09 AM
latech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

11GX460,
did you get the cross bars from the dealer or sewell? thanks.
Old 01-17-15, 08:17 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Latech,

I got them from a dealer off of Ebay, it's genuine. Paid a total of $193.95 (including shipping).
Old 01-18-15, 08:18 PM
stubble
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I test fit a Yakima Railgrab system today on my GX460 and it looked like it will fit the rails really well. Didn't purchase at the time but I likely will.

Does anyone else have these and can you comment on it? I have the OEM crossbars on now but I need a longer crossbar to put multiple kayaks up there.
Old 01-19-15, 11:29 PM
stubble
Rookie

FWIW, Inno makes a rack that apparently fits. Not sure I like the look but here's a video of them installing it on a 2014 GX.

Old 01-24-15, 07:05 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone know where i can actually pick up the roof rack (the ones you install the bars on) because mine didn't even come with one
Old 01-24-15, 08:12 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Anyone know where i can actually pick up the roof rack (the ones you install the bars on) because mine didn't even come with one
I think you meant the roof rails??? If so, they will have to come from your Lexus dealer (if it's even offered in Saudi Arabia). It's standard on our (USA) models. There are aftermarket ones as well, but they do not provide that flush look with the GX, though some can withstand a heavier load.

Last edited by 11GX460; 01-24-15 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-26-15, 07:36 AM
stubble
Rookie

Originally Posted by 11GX460
I think you meant the roof rails??? If so, they will have to come from your Lexus dealer (if it's even offered in Saudi Arabia). It's standard on our (USA) models. There are aftermarket ones as well, but they do not provide that flush look with the GX, though some can withstand a heavier load.
If you dont have rails I would go straight for the Rhino rack:

http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/fit-my-vehicle/results/393/lexus-gx-4dr-suv-10-to-15
Old 01-26-15, 09:48 AM
stubble
Rookie

Originally Posted by stubble
I test fit a Yakima Railgrab system today on my GX460 and it looked like it will fit the rails really well. Didn't purchase at the time but I likely will.
Just as an update, I purchased and installed the Railgrabs on my 2011 GX460. They work, and they seem reasonably stable, but I'm not very satisfied with the fit. They don't take advantage of the slot in the rails by locking in with a hook vertically the way the OEMs do, instead they rely on squeezing horizontally around the outside of the rail and a hook in the slot. The outside of the rail is plastic.

Another problem is that they contact the roof ridge when installing them and may scratch the paint. When tight they are NOT in contact, but the gap is less than a MM, so in use as they flex they'll surely contact the roof.

So I ordered a set of Inno racks which attach much like the OEMs do, using a vertical clamp on the solid part of the rails and an actual hook in the slot. They are not as pretty but look like they'll be more secure. I'll post back.
Old 02-02-15, 09:14 PM
stubble
Rookie

Just a minor updateL Still waiting on the Inno rack from orsracksdirect. But in the meantime I've had three kayaks on the Yakima setup at freeway speeds with no budging. Still don't like the setup much though. I can see a couple things that could go wrong and then your stuff is in the road getting someone killed.

Been looking at the Rhino 3-bar rack setup for the Prado 150 and it looks like an easy bolt-on operation after removing the Lexus rails. Looks pretty nice but I'm holding out hope for the Inno rack.

Anyone run the rhino mounts on their GX 460?
Old 02-07-15, 04:56 PM
stubble
Rookie

Got the Inno rack finally. I can confirm that my suspicions are correct:

1. It's FAR more secure on the rails than the Yakima.
2. It's uglier than Yakima.

I'll keep it. I will feel much better about putting my boats up there with the Inno rack because it holds fast to the solid part of the rail, instead of squeezing horizontally. Also, it's about a half-inch higher off the roof which will help with attachment clearance.

Here are some pics comparing the Yakima Railgrab and the Inno rack. The Yakima is going back.

Yakima

Yakima

Inno

Inno

Inno:

Inno v Yakima

Last edited by stubble; 01-29-18 at 07:36 PM. Reason: fixed images
The following users liked this post:
TFD (04-19-19)
Old 02-08-15, 04:10 PM
Rock712
Driver School Candidate

I am considering this rack:

It replaces the factory rails.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...l#.VNf6Wi6-1hI
Old 02-08-15, 05:11 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

A third product consideration in your testing
Thanks for the detailed post
Old 02-23-15, 10:42 AM
Somun
Driver School Candidate

Default Yakima

I went with the Yakima system, since I already have an extensive collection of parts from my previous cars.

I agree that the Yakima Rail Grab system could be a better fit for the GX 460 (If you don't have the cross bar installed, when you tighten the nut down, the Rail Grab will start slipping on the outer curved portion).

My only issue (once the install was complete) was the height issue of the rack. Now, I'm 6' tall and I am having a hard time putting my bike on and taking it off; there is no way my wife could ever use this rack. I am going to be using the tow hitch for another rack, but there are times when I need to haul several bikes, so will be using the roof at times. Guess I need to buy a small ladder...

Old 03-04-15, 08:17 PM
stubble
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Somun
Guess I need to buy a small ladder...
Yeah the GX is not a short car. Still better than my suburban was!

In keeping with the the thread topic here's the Inno rack being employed.

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars