GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Whine or Whining noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 06:02 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Other than a first-year LS 430 that was eerily quiet, our 2010 GX 460 with almost 32,000 miles is the quietest vehicle we have owned. However, the GX is a truck ... trucks sometimes make strange noises and in a quiet truck they are noticeable. None of the noises we have heard 'sound' like the noises you describe, but here's what we've heard and what we've done about them:

• A pronounced 'clunk' at low-speed sharp turns such as maneuvering in a parking lot was the rear door strut, which was replaced under warranty.

• A fluttering sound on smooth roads at moderate to high speeds was a loose rear wheel well liner, which was reattached under warranty.

• A rear seat rattle that occurred at all speeds, but not when the seat was occupied was eliminated by replacing a seat spring under warranty to increase tension.

We still have the original Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires and there is no tire noise that we can discern. The transmission makes a tiny whistling sound when it shifts from first to second ... my wife denies it, but I can hear it when I'm the passenger. We suspect the short length of chain hanging under the spare tire sometimes slaps against the spare wheel, but it happens so infrequently that we don't object ... knowing what is causing the sound is half the battle. Besides, what would be a reasonable solution as all GX 460 have the same chain?

That's it, which isn't much ... but none describe the sounds you are hearing. It seems like your driver's seat track is loose or worn at one position. As we switch drivers every day and our two driving positions are quite different, the driver's seat "gets a lot of exercise". Perhaps running it through all its range of motions would help? If not, how about cleaning the tracks on which it moves?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. On our recent round-trip to Sanibel from Delaware we were cruising for long stretches on I-95 at sustained high speeds that we seldom reach at home so we were alert for any new sounds or vibration. None to report. I mention that because our GX was early-production (November 2009). Neither mileage nor production date has seemed to make any difference in how it performs. If serial number #518 was made this trouble-free in 2009, so could any.
Old 05-09-13, 06:25 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Any kind of whine is NOT normal and the Stealer should make it right. You just need to find the right Stealer or be a PITA!

Koz
Old 06-06-13, 05:56 PM
stuhrw
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GX470 Drivetrain Update

Originally Posted by Koz
Any kind of whine is NOT normal and the Stealer should make it right. You just need to find the right Stealer or be a PITA!

Koz
Well, I just finished my round trip to Pennsylvania with a 5000 pound trailer towed for about 500 miles. Even through the mountains, the GX pulled fairly well. On the steep grades, I needed to shift to 4 to keep from multiple downshifts. I averaged between 13-14 mpg, whereas I typically get about 19 mph highway, unloaded. Overall I was pleased with the towing power.

Now, the drivetrain whine/howl issue is exactly the same. No change. Still whines when as lift off the throttle between 60-65 mph. I did manage to learn that the whine only occurs when the drivetrain is under "neutral load". In other words, if I completely lift off or accelerate, the sound disappears. If I'm going 60-65, and I just crack the throttle barely.....the whine will appear. Someone told me that it could even possibly be a u-joint, based on these symptoms??

The driver's side seat "pop" when cornering is getting worse. So, I'm going to have to pull the seat out and troubleshoot further.
Old 06-06-13, 06:21 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus calls the condition when your whine occurs as 'float' ... that point where the engine isn't loading the drivetrain and the wind drag isn't either, which means the vehicle is slowly decelerating, but without engine braking. Pressing a little more or less on the gas pedal shifts between the two and it is hard to find the "float point". Another way of saying this is when the driveline torque reverses.

We had this problem with an early LX and learned from the service department that they diagnose drivetrain problems depending on the conditions when they occur. If the drive train is under load, e.g., the engine is loading the drivetrain when accelerating or the vehicle is loading the drivetrain when decelerating, the noise disappeared! The problem was a component that wasn't working right when the drivetrain wasn't under load.

The advantage is that situation can be checked when the drivetrain is static. Have them put it on the rack, leave the transmission in neutral and the brakes off, then have them twist the drive shaft so the rear wheels turn. Check for slack, which would make a 'clunking' sound as they twist the drive shaft back and forth.

If there is no slack in the driveshaft, then something is out of balance, which manifests when spinning while under 'float' conditions. Harder to find, but solvable. Keep after them until they do ... even if you have to become a PITA as Koz suggested!
Regards,

SaniDel
The following users liked this post:
RoadDawg (03-06-19)
Old 03-27-14, 07:55 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teddy, any update??

My 2014 does the exact same thing. I think it may be due to the intake/throttle design, something at that speed just happens to produce a certain sound (that higher pitched howling/whistling).

It is a little bit reassuring that others have experienced the same thing. Has it caused any further issue?
Old 03-27-14, 08:02 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuhrw
My 2007 GX470 does the EXACT same thing as what you are describing. I don't think it's tires, although I do have AT's mounted which are a little bit on the noisy side. I would describe the sound as a high pitched drone which happens when lifting off the accelerator (coasting) between 55-70 mph. It is more pronounced when coasting downhill. As soon as I apply power, the sound is instantly gone. Now the funny part is that during the summer (Georgia) I hardly noticed it. Now that it has cooled off, it's definitely more pronounced. I will also say that the truck has done this for over a year, with no change in performance and the sound hasn't gotten any worse or better. Personally, I feel that the drone is normal.....typical of an all-time 4 wheel drive truck. Of course, it is a Lexus so any sound will get the attention of the owner/driver (as referenced on these forums). I have done a little research and found a possible root cause.....differential dynamic dampener. There is a TSB out to perform an inspection and one of two repairs. One is simply replacing the dampener, and the other involves some major teardown. But, this is a drone at highway speeds and under power. Not typical of mine. However, I wonder if it is related to the dampener, and if the newly designed dampener has thicker or a different type of rubber in it. Remember I noted that the sound was louder in cold weather? I wonder if swapping the dampener would help? I don't know.
I have similar whine. It is speed dependent and is only noticeable around 65-80MPH.

It seems to depend also as to whether you are pressing the accelerator or simply holding it in place/cruising. Leads me to believe it is either a driveline/differential thing as you suspected, or noise related to intake and throttle design dependencies at that particular speed range.

It doesn't affect operation and in a weird way I'm glad to see others are experiencing the same thing without any real issues. I guess it's just another GX460 quirk we have to live with.
Old 03-29-14, 05:06 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14
I have similar whine. It is speed dependent and is only noticeable around 65-80MPH.

It seems to depend also as to whether you are pressing the accelerator or simply holding it in place/cruising. Leads me to believe it is either a driveline/differential thing as you suspected, or noise related to intake and throttle design dependencies at that particular speed range.

It doesn't affect operation and in a weird way I'm glad to see others are experiencing the same thing without any real issues. I guess it's just another GX460 quirk we have to live with.
do you have roof crossbars on?
Old 03-29-14, 08:03 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have it too

Originally Posted by T4Fun
do you have roof crossbars on?
I have the "Whine" but no roof crossbars. I assumed everyone did since my Sequoia and 4Runner both had it too. Never caused any preformance problems and I drove the 4Runner for seven years and the Sequoia for 4 years. I just thought it was a "Toyota thing". I only have less than 3K on the GX but I do have the whine. Noticed it today on my way back to WV from the beaches in NC.
Old 03-29-14, 10:36 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Herd72
I have the "Whine" but no roof crossbars. I assumed everyone did since my Sequoia and 4Runner both had it too. Never caused any preformance problems and I drove the 4Runner for seven years and the Sequoia for 4 years. I just thought it was a "Toyota thing". I only have less than 3K on the GX but I do have the whine. Noticed it today on my way back to WV from the beaches in NC.
thats very strange. ive never head this whine before. post an audio clip of it here or on you tube.
Old 03-30-14, 11:31 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

thats very strange. ive never head this whine before. post an audio clip of it here or on you tube.
Not sure the phone would pick it up. It's sort of subtle -like a semi in the distance. I will try though. It's not just a '14 thing though because mine was a left over '13. I only hear it like the guys above when coasting.
Old 03-30-14, 12:24 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Herd72
Not sure the phone would pick it up. It's sort of subtle -like a semi in the distance. I will try though. It's not just a '14 thing though because mine was a left over '13. I only hear it like the guys above when coasting.
I've never heard it on my 2010 or 2014.
Old 04-20-14, 06:23 PM
LDCSteve
Driver School Candidate

Gear whine, they all do it at different speeds. This is my third GX, they are all noisy, my 2014 expedition is quieter at highway speeds and handles better, wont do another GX.

Last edited by LDCSteve; 04-20-14 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-20-14, 06:35 PM
T4Fun
Racer

i am still clueless what you folks are hearing. my gx is very quiet on highway, even at 80 mph
Old 04-20-14, 08:27 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am still clueless what you folks are hearing. my gx is very quiet on highway, even at 80 mph
Same here T4Fun! My GX is also quiet.
Old 04-21-14, 12:36 AM
Kdash106
Pole Position

My 2014 gx is very quite at all speeds, Does 2013 have the wind deflector by the side mirror?

Quick Reply: Whine or Whining noises