GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Premium Suspension Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 11:40 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Premium Suspension Review

After almost 2 years of ownership I feel I can give an objective opinion of the 2nd gen GX’s optional premium suspension systems (auto leveling air springs and adaptive variable suspension – AVS).

Ride & handling – When I first got the GX I felt the ride & handling was super smooth and cushy/soft. I could not feel much of a difference between the ride settings using the AVS system. Now after many miles of city and highway miles, under various conditions, I can say there is a distinct difference in the three settings. I now can actually feel which mode the system is in and find myself setting the system for each type driving condition, for a better ride. When driving around town I use the comfort setting. It allows the suspension to sort of float over poor road surfaces and yet not allow the vehicle to wallow or buck. If the system is set on the sport mode around town the vehicle hits the bumps instead of absorbing them. It also tends to buck. When I change the setting to comfort, the vehicle immediately smoothes out. I also use the comfort setting when towing, even when towing on the highway, at the speed limit. I found that if I use the sport setting when towing, the trailer’s movement is transmitted to the tow vehicle (TV) much more easily. When using the comfort setting the suspension seems to absorb the movement and keeps the TV more stable. When I’m towing at higher speeds (depending on what speed) I use the normal and sport mode to control sway in the turns. I found that the sport mode is most effective when traveling at speeds above 60 mph. If I’m on the highway at speed and the system is in the comfort mode, I find it’s harder to hold the line through the turn (it also leans/plows). When using the sport mode there’s almost no leaning. I find that speed is pretty much the deciding factor in which mode I use. For city (up to 35 mph) I use the comfort mode. For speeds between 35 and 55 mph, I tend to use the normal mode. For spirited and high speed highway driving I use the sport mode.

The main reason I purchased the premium model was because of the auto leveling rear air spring suspension. I tow and travel on easy/moderate off-road trails and RV back road (unpaved). I would not want to be without the air susp when towing. It actually spoils you. It makes everything from hooking up to the trailer to stabilizing and carrying the extra weight MUCH easier. Because the TV is perfectly level with added cargo and the tongue weight of the trailer, every aspect driving is stable and well mannered. Even braking is more controlled. It is so nice to back up to the trailer (with the backup camera) and perfectly line up (in one try) and simply push a button and engage the ball. Also cool is when maneuvering over driveways/dips/moguls you can adjust the height of the tongue and the rear of the trailer with the push of a button. There are many times when several inches clearance is the difference of dragging and not. To raise the rear of trailer you lower the rear of the TV. After clearing the obstacle you can raise the rear so the tongue will clear. This is especially helpful when off the beaten path. The system also helps when off-road without the trailer. The difference between the low and high setting is approx 4 inched and it increases the departure angle. It also helps when loading or washing the vehicle (low setting).

Koz
Old 08-28-12, 11:25 AM
varok
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review Koz. I just got my 2010 Premium last week and still trying to figure out the different suspension settings. Your review should help me decide which ones to choose in different situations.
Old 10-13-13, 03:44 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Capirato
Koz, are you aware of the 2014 GX 460 Trailer Sway Control ??
Continually monitors the yaw rate, acceleration and steering sensors to help prevent or control unwanted trailer movement.

If excessive movement caused by wind, bumpy roads or steering operation is detected, corrective measures are engaged.

To help reduce sway, braking is applied independently to each wheel and the throttle is moderated to help reduce vehicle speed.

If deceleration is required, the brake lights are automatically illuminated.

When Trailer Sway Control is taking corrective measures, the indicator flashes to alert the driver.

~ Cap
Koz doesnt own a 2014 and I dont believe he has plans to.
Old 10-15-13, 04:42 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i could tell the difference right away in my gx.
i can tell you for sure the premium with air suspension rides better than base versions.
i dont know if it has to do with the slightly lower height or the adaptive mechanism, but it does drive very good into the curves. i just wish they had it on the front wheels too. LX has it on all 4.
i dont do towing, yet.
Old 01-14-14, 04:31 PM
muggle
Driver School Candidate

We just towed our 2 horses, with about a 5500 tlr weight 3000 miles from AK to SD, and love the air suspension on the GX, so much nicer than the Sequioa we used 5 years ago. Felt much more stable in sport mode, vs. uncomfortable leaning feeling in normal and comfort mode. Averaged about 11 mpg overall.
Old 08-02-14, 04:49 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

where is KOZ? did something happen to him?
Old 08-04-14, 12:32 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I was wondering the same thing recently. I thought to myself when another thread that he started a while ago got bumped if something happened to him. He used to be one of the first to respond to any questions and then poof, seemed to disappear. Hope he is okay, he was pretty knowledgeable about the GX.
Old 08-23-14, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

quick question guys about which suspension in which packages/years...

on 2014... does the premium package include the air suspension, or only the luxury version?
Old 08-23-14, 12:02 PM
DallasGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
quick question guys about which suspension in which packages/years...

on 2014... does the premium package include the air suspension, or only the luxury version?
air suspension included in the luxury package only.