GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LT Tires on GX460

Old 03-17-15, 04:42 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
The suspension would compensate for the smaller tire and I think the GX tranny is capable of handling the imbalance.

I plan on having the smallest tire available put on my spare wheel to fit inside my duel exhaust set up (I just can't seem to get around to it ).

The spare tire is obviously temporary so what is the problem with this type of set up?
You need the spare to be close in size to the other three tires else the traction control will go wild and I believe the differentials will be working harder too as tires spin at different speeds. Messing with tire inflation should get you to the dealer anyway and is my plan if/when my 275 Duratracs get a flat.
Old 03-18-15, 06:19 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jaleels
The ltx tires raises the center of gravity higher on th gx. The vehicle does not need to be any higher. The higher center of gravity does not inspire confidence on the road. The ride on the tires is not that different from the original tires. I should have kept the original spare tire, there was nothing wrong with it. The tires are ok and handle curbs and off roading very well, but the rubbing is annoying.
When I changed my brakes I noticed rubbing on the interior of the wheel well. No one else has mentioned this but it happens.
I disagree with the rubbing issue, I have been running the oversized LTX's for 15k and I've had zero rubbing. I had to remove one bolt from the inner fender well in the front and I have not heard or seen any rubbing at all. Maybe since you have the Air Suspension and I have the base that may be the difference but I would not hesitate on buying these tires again. I have flexed it pretty good on the beach as well with no issues.
Old 03-18-15, 06:25 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
You need the spare to be close in size to the other three tires else the traction control will go wild and I believe the differentials will be working harder too as tires spin at different speeds. Messing with tire inflation should get you to the dealer anyway and is my plan if/when my 275 Duratracs get a flat.
What about all of the AWD vehicles that come with a donut spare? I am not concerned about running a smaller spare to get where I'm going in case of a flat tire. I would not intend on running the spare for any length of time as my spare rim is not the same as my other wheels so it would only be used in an emergency.
Old 03-20-15, 07:28 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
What about all of the AWD vehicles that come with a donut spare? I am not concerned about running a smaller spare to get where I'm going in case of a flat tire. I would not intend on running the spare for any length of time as my spare rim is not the same as my other wheels so it would only be used in an emergency.
Donuts have the same outside diameter as the stock tires, they are just skinny.
Old 03-20-15, 09:51 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
most awd vehicles come with same size tire, donut or no dunut, they are same diameter
what vehicle with awd comes with a donut spare of different size?
and in fact running different tires sizes on awd/4wd will screw up tranny

running 275s on these skinny 7.5 inch rims is unsafe. You need atleast 8 inch wide rims for them to fit properly, otherwise, you risk blowout, early tire failure, suspsension issues, and list goes on

Last edited by T4Fun; 03-20-15 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 06:10 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

Originally Posted by T4Fun
running 275s on these skinny 7.5 inch rims is unsafe. You need atleast 8 inch wide rims for them to fit properly, otherwise, you risk blowout, early tire failure, suspsension issues, and list goes on
What!? 7.5 is in spec for common 275 ATs. Some are a go at 7.
Old 03-23-15, 11:52 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires_10...m_wheel_width/

http://www.etmags.com/pdf_download_d...chart_2010.pdf - check out last page for 18 inch tires

some manufacterers state even rim width should be 8.5-9 inches minumum
point is you CAN do it, whether its safe its your issue

Last edited by T4Fun; 03-23-15 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 11:17 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Originally Posted by T4Fun
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires_10...m_wheel_width/

http://www.etmags.com/pdf_download_d...chart_2010.pdf - check out last page for 18 inch tires

some manufacterers state even rim width should be 8.5-9 inches minumum
point is you CAN do it, whether its safe its your issue
Those are 26" tires, so not even remotely applicable to a GX. Even yokohamas geolander in 275 65 18 is ok with 7.5 rim. Your not helping the board advance its knowledge with these posts.
Old 03-24-15, 12:50 PM
JDSTL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem running a 275 on a 7.5" wheel.

http://m.michelinman.com/tire-selector/tire-download-techspec-pdf.page?

My link doesn't work but it's straight from the Michelin site.
Old 03-27-15, 04:20 PM
hrod79
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

2 issues,
1. I can't believe that the 1/2" to 1" you gain by increasing tire size would make you feel the truck is any different as far as top heavy or even remotely change the center of gravity. (what a stretch)

2. an LT rated tire will have a stiffer sidewall which in fact will reduce body roll compared to a P rated tire that comes on the truck.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this truck, this is a 150 Series Land Cruiser and is an extremely capable vehicle on and off the road. You bought a luxurious truck with roots in over landing and 4wheel drive.
Old 03-28-15, 06:44 AM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

To begin with you had three issues not two issues. This message board is not a place to criticize anyone's opinion. You don't have the tires on your vehicle so you cannot make any statements about how the vehicle feels.
Old 03-28-15, 10:31 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

To begin with you had three issues not two issues. This message board is not a place to criticize anyone's opinion. You don't have the tires on your vehicle so you cannot make any statements about how the vehicle feels.
I can, and it feels a lot more stable at highway speeds, stiffer sidewalls make it handle a lot better and I have zero rubbing issues. I agree with what others have posted, all positive about changing the tires to the larger size LTX. I have put over 10k on them and I'm very pleased with the upgrade over stock.
Old 03-30-15, 09:12 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
This is one of the reasons why cars come with the switch to turn off the VSC and TRAC. If you have to run a smaller tire for a short distance to get you home, then disable the electronic traction controls for that time period if the systems try to overcompensate.
Old 05-07-15, 01:35 PM
hrod79
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

@jaleels I apologize for the previous post felt like an attack and it was 2 issues and a comment.

I don't have the Michelin tires on my GX but have had several LT sets on other vehicles and all LT tires give you the same results as I stated. From looking at your pictures you are having rubbing. That is clear. But your problem is not the tires. It is in the suspension itself. I don't have an air ride suspension in the rear as you do and with my larger LT tires I have about2.5" to 3" from tire to frame. Your axle is floating which will result in exactly the feeling that you are experiencing. I don't know if it is a result of the air ride vs standard suspension but your axle is clearly shifting left to right 2-3" which is bad. I suggest you get that looked at by the dealer or mechanic.
Old 06-22-17, 11:25 AM
7h3Stig
Driver School Candidate

I realize this is an old thread, but I am curious if anyone here can definitively confirm that a 275/65/18 will fit with no rub on stock suspension. I have a 2015 Premier with the F-Sport 18x7.5 wheels. Any intel would be greatly appreciated. I am considering the Defender LTX M/S as a top contender right now. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT Tires on GX460