GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Old 08-15-14, 03:13 PM
waiman3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back from a 5k oil change, 5k and 10k oil change/service are both free at my dealer.
Dealer suggested service every 5k, but I will do every 10k after the free oil changes.
Old 08-18-14, 03:41 AM
Ceenit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 5k 'free' service at the dealership includes several "checks' and a tire rotation. The 10k 'free' service at the dealership includes an oil change.

You are then on your own every 10k after that. I plan on doing my own after the free services are up.

I don't recommend changing the initial fill early (before 10k) as the initial fluids typically include a set of 'break in additives'' which are important for the initial break in period of the vehicle.
Old 08-18-14, 10:57 PM
waiman3
Rookie

Just to calcify, there was a free 1k 'checks' w/o oil change.
I just got the free 5k oil change(with receipt showed 0-20 syn oil), 2nd free oil change will be at 10k.
Old 08-25-14, 06:12 AM
sgrol
Driver School Candidate

I change the oil on all of my vehicles. 10,000 miles is a lot to put on the oil. Doesn't matter what Lexus recommends, remember they want to sell cars not make them last forever. If you want to know how your oil is performing take a sample at the oil change or before and send it to a lab. They can analyze the additives, which is what wears out, and tell you how much life is left on the oil. Blackstone lab is who I use and they are great. (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) Another good item to get is an oil change valve (http://www.qwikvalve.com/). Just open and drain, no wrenches and no mess. The GX 460 is the most time consuming vehicle I have changed oil on as you do have to remove skid plate and access door to change filter and drain oil but it is not difficult.
Old 08-25-14, 11:57 AM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you used Blackstone to test your GX460 oil?
Old 08-25-14, 12:01 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sgrol
The GX 460 is the most time consuming vehicle I have changed oil on as you do have to remove skid plate and access door to change filter and drain oil but it is not difficult.
So why would you?

Sorry, but you have convinced me to leave this to Lexus. As the GX 460 is designed for synthetic oil AND Lexus requires changing the oil and filter only once every year or 10,000 miles AND the first oil and filter change is free ... well, there are no technical, economic nor efficiency reasons for doing it ourselves.

In addition, there is a significant liability reason not to do it ourselves ... namely warranty claims. There is no way to prove that you changed the oil and filter if you did it yourself, which is a loophole through which Lexus' lawyers could ... well, they could drive a truck through it!

So, enjoy your hobby, which is what it is, but for anyone other than an avid auto maintenance hobbyist, changing the oil and filter is more trouble than it is worth and it could be disastrous in a warranty claim.
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 08-25-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 12:34 PM
bigsley18
Rookie

i change my own oil for peace of mind. i know what i put in it...i know i took good care of my car while doing so...i know it was 100% completed. for some folks, it's a hassle and they'd rather pay someone else to do it. that's fine; nothing wrong with that. but i've heard more horror stories of "oil changes gone wrong" than "i messed up doing my own oil change". i can also guarantee you that you'll find more horror stories online than dealerships denying warranty claims for changing your own oil on any search engine of your choice.

by the way, from my understanding and research from others, all you need are receipts for the oil and oil filter to "prove" that you changed your own oil as well as a maintenance log. it's just like when the dealership GIVES you a receipt after changing your oil. if, somehow, that fails, the dealership will still have to prove that you are at fault. that's part of the manguson-moss warranty act.

Originally Posted by SaniDel
So why would you?

Sorry, but you have convinced me to leave this to Lexus. As the GX 460 is designed for synthetic oil AND Lexus requires changing the oil and filter only once every year or 10,000 miles AND the first oil and filter change is free ... well, there is no technical, economic nor efficacy reasons for doing it ourselves.

In addition, there is a significant liability reason not to do it ourselves ... namely warranty claims. There is no way to prove that you changed the oil and filter if you did it yourself, which is a loophole through which Lexus' lawyers could ... well, they could drive a truck through it!

So, enjoy your hobby, which is what it is, but for anyone other than an avid auto maintenance hobbyist, changing the oil and filter is more trouble than it is worth and it could be disastrous in a warranty claim.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-25-14, 12:42 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsley18

i change my own oil for peace of mind. i know what i put in it...i know i took good care of my car while doing so...i know it was 100% completed. for some folks, it's a hassle and they'd rather pay someone else to do it. that's fine; nothing wrong with that. but i've heard more horror stories of "oil changes gone wrong" than "i messed up doing my own oil change". i can also guarantee you that you'll find more horror stories online than dealerships denying warranty claims for changing your own oil on any search engine of your choice.

by the way, from my understanding and research from others, all you need are receipts for the oil and oil filter to "prove" that you changed your own oil as well as a maintenance log. it's just like when the dealership GIVES you a receipt after changing your oil. if, somehow, that fails, the dealership will still have to prove that you are at fault. that's part of the manguson-moss warranty act.
EXACTLY!!!!! I change my own oil most of the time and as for receipts, they won't help much as it doesn't prove you did it. The dealer will send out the oil to be analyzed and make a determination on the results. I also agree on more horror stories of dealers and work they and I've never heard of a engine claim being denied as long as the owner did oil changes as recommended in the manual.
Old 08-25-14, 05:52 PM
sgrol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hammer208S
Have you used Blackstone to test your GX460 oil?
Not yet. Will as soon as I change it.
Old 08-25-14, 06:08 PM
sgrol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
So why would you?

Sorry, but you have convinced me to leave this to Lexus. As the GX 460 is designed for synthetic oil AND Lexus requires changing the oil and filter only once every year or 10,000 miles AND the first oil and filter change is free ... well, there are no technical, economic nor efficiency reasons for doing it ourselves.

Regards,

SaniDel
"So why would you?" - because I have the equipment, knowhow, and ability to.

"well, there are no technical, economic nor efficiency reasons for doing it ourselves." - Techncal - changing a bent pushrod is technical, changing the oil, not so much. Economic- I guarantee I can change the oil way cheaper than paying the dealer for the same work, Efficiency - I don't have to drive 50 miles round trip, be without my vehicle, waste the gas going to the dealer, time spent waiting for the work...get the point?

Not a bit worried about changing my own oil and voiding the warranty, that's ridiculous.
Old 08-26-14, 06:14 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgrol
"So why would you?" - because I have the equipment, knowhow, and ability to.

"well, there are no technical, economic nor efficiency reasons for doing it ourselves." - Techncal - changing a bent pushrod is technical, changing the oil, not so much. Economic- I guarantee I can change the oil way cheaper than paying the dealer for the same work, Efficiency - I don't have to drive 50 miles round trip, be without my vehicle, waste the gas going to the dealer, time spent waiting for the work...get the point?

Not a bit worried about changing my own oil and voiding the warranty, that's ridiculous.
Once again, Totally agree.
Old 12-10-14, 03:13 AM
sadanco5
Driver School Candidate

Default 2114 gx460 oil filter

where is the oil filter located on a 2114 gx460 ? any help ? and what type and grade of motor oil do I use ?
Old 12-10-14, 06:16 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sadanco5
where is the oil filter located on a 2114 gx460 ? any help ? and what type and grade of motor oil do I use ?
If you are reading the previous comments on this thread you will see that changing the oil and filter on the GX is not for the faint of heart. If you insist on doing what Lexus should be doing for you, review the pictures posted in previous threads, especially the advice to remove skid plates and other obstructions to access the filter. The GX 460 was designed for synthetic motor oil with long intervals between changing ... 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. First owners of the 2010 GX 460 received letters from Lexus explaining this significant change from previous practice.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 12-10-14, 06:41 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by sadanco5
Changing the oil on a GX is relatively easy if you have some tools. Nothing out of the ordinary. It's easiest to remove the complete skid plate, I think it was 4 bolts if I remember correctly. Lexus sells a special tool for the filter cartridge removal but you can get it off pretty easily with a large pair of channel locks and do no damage. I've done mine 4 times so far, laying on my back in the driveway and I've been done start to finish in 30 minutes. Oil I believe is 0/20 synthetic but check your owners manual to confirm.
Old 02-10-15, 07:31 AM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GX460 Premium 2012 Oil Change

Dose anyone knows exactly how many Quotes of Synthetic motor oil needed for 2012 Gx460 Oil change when changing the filter as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion