GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cross-shopping

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 06:16 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightbulb question for GX460 owners, have you crossed shopped with Acura MDX?

i know they're two difference class of vehicles, but the similarities are there. what made you decided on the GX?
Old 06-10-12, 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I didn't purchase either but I did drive them and look at them. I personally think the MDX is better looking, I think the GX is a little bulbous looking in a few areas where the MDX is sharp, angular, proportional, and attractive at pretty much every angle.

Thats where the benefits of it over the GX stop though. The GX has a much better interior, better room, better features and content, rides better, quieter, would be better in poor weather or offroad.

The GX is considerably more expensive than the MDX though. Starts $10k more and with comparable options that gap widens even more. The GX is really a class above the MDX.
Old 06-10-12, 12:47 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot to mention that everyone...especially in Southern California where you are at near Los Angeles has an MDX. I see 10-15 on the road everytime I drive. I shopped both. Haven't bought either. To me, the MDX was kinda odd looking and will be harder to park because it is quite wide especially if you are going to park in the Monterey Park and Los Angeles areas.

GX is a slower, heavier and more lux vehicle. Depends on what you are really looking for. I'm not looking for the sportiness of the MDX as I already have a sports car so the GX suits me better. Just waiting for the right time.
Old 06-10-12, 09:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Thats true, you do see a lot of MDX's around here too. You see a lot of GX's too though.
Old 06-14-12, 02:40 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an 08 MDX which is nearly similar with the current model minus 1 gear. Been a big fan of Acuras in the past... NSX and Integra GSR we're two of the best vehicles I've ever owned, MDX not so much. Currently driving a 11 GX and have to say I don't think you can compare the two. Different kinds of vehicles that ride completely differently and have different capabilities. About the only similarity is the fact they have 6 speed transmissions and 3rd row seating. Lexus is far nicer on the interior and IMO better looking.
Old 06-14-12, 04:55 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going thru exactly this comparison right now. Here is our take

Wife is on shorter side, MDX seating is a problem for her. It does not raise up enough to give her agood position

She feels her vision is obstructed on the MDX compared to the GX because of the way the instrument panel is designed.

Both liked the fit and finish of the GX better, my wife really likes the wood steering and it is an option even on the most expensive trim of the MDX. with the wood gear **** it costs around $1000 more MSRP

MDX does not come with a keyless start. Something that surprised us. Sales person told us that it might be coming next year or later

MDX is priced better and Acura is running an aggressive interest rate promotion and competitive capture cash back right now

MDX ride quality is more like a car, the GX is more like a truck, although the cabin is very quiet.

Still in the process of making the decision.
Old 06-14-12, 05:54 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For folks who are going to use the SUV in deep snow (over 2ft), the GX is a better choice because it's a real SUV. My friend has an MDX, and he got stuck pretty badly in a rare snowstorm. If fuel economy is a concern, then the MDX should - and this is purely my guess - give a better mpg figure.
Old 06-15-12, 05:50 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

mdx and gx are almost same on fuel economy.

the gx is better looking in general, although some angles just plain hideous.

the mdx is flat out ugly. too many people have them as well. also made in canada. Gx is better in quality and built in state of the art plant in japan
Old 06-15-12, 07:41 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
mdx and gx are almost same on fuel economy.

the gx is better looking in general, although some angles just plain hideous.

the mdx is flat out ugly. too many people have them as well. also made in canada. Gx is better in quality and built in state of the art plant in japan

There is a reason why they give low APR on MDXs. Ya. They sell, but they more of a mass selling vehicle for Acura. Just like the RX and IS for Lexus. And ya, like I said, I looked at both and like T4Fun said, MDX looks and feels freakin weird too me as I test drove it.

I also agree in terms of Gas mileage. Ya, GX has a V8, but high performance v6's where you try to push every little HP out can get bad gas mileage. It's kinda like the new BMW 328 4 cylinder turbo. It says something like 30 or more on the highway, but if you look at the Motor Trend Magazine test, they got something like 16mpg LOL ...Yes they must have driven crazy, but 16mpg come on.
Old 06-16-12, 10:09 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Just purchased a GX. Looked at every comparable vehicle including mdx. Bottom line is there is not a vehicle in the market right now that gives you the space, luxury and off road capability as the gx. The other vehicles were either bigger/bulkier and more expensive or smaller and less options and features like MDX. Another big sell for me is the way I've always been treated with lexus no one else compares. I have a TL now and I swore it would be my last Acura love the car absolutly hate the company always nothing but trouble.
Old 06-17-12, 04:26 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusVet
Another big sell for me is the way I've always been treated with lexus no one else compares. I have a TL now and I swore it would be my last Acura love the car absolutly hate the company always nothing but trouble.
Yes. That's exactly where it ends for me: I had an Acura before my first Lexus, and that was my last. Besides the service, my particular car was also a POS, but the real issue was how they handled it (or failed to do so). The contrast between that experience and what I just went through with my LS460L is stark: Lexus does stand behind its product.

And I also do happen to think the MDX is very ugly and of inferior quality.
Old 06-17-12, 07:24 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Yes. That's exactly where it ends for me: I had an Acura before my first Lexus, and that was my last. Besides the service, my particular car was also a POS, but the real issue was how they handled it (or failed to do so). The contrast between that experience and what I just went through with my LS460L is stark: Lexus does stand behind its product.
That's where we are. We owned two Acura Legends and thought they were great ... keeping them for almost a decade before buying our first Lexus as a third car. That's all it took ... we traded the Acuras for our 2nd Lexus and we've been Lexus-only since 1996. Our 2010 GX 460 is our 10th Lexus.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-19-12, 08:07 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

honda is a good company, but not as good as toyota for sure. I think even nissan is better than honda at this point, but not better than lexus. Heck their corolla and camry are nice and i am thinking of getting rid of my 2000 corolla and getting the new s version corolla! its a top safety pick if you can believe it!
Old 07-10-12, 04:42 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frankly I think the GX is in an entirely different class than the MDX - above of course. IMO there is no comparison. I wanted an upgrade from my 4runner and MDX doesn't seem like an upgrade.
Old 07-10-12, 06:19 AM
Gdog
Driver School Candidate

I'm doing the same cross-shopping. Yes, different cars, but different price points. One is more fun to drive, one is a bit more functional. It looks like buying a new MDX might hold its value more than buying a new GX Premium, so if I'm thinking of "trying" one for 2 years, MDX might be smarter. But there sure are a ton of them around, and I don't see as many GX 460's in Boston. Strangely I see a ton of GX470's still, but not a lot of 460's.

I do occasionally need a bike rack on a hitch, and roof racks for a Thule carrier, and IMO they look out of place on the MDX and more "at home" on the GX.

I've been telling myself to wait for the 2013's to hit on both models, knowing that there is no change to either one.

I'm guessing I can get the GX Premium with Levinson for just shy of $60K, and the MDX Advance for $47, and as I stated I think that the MDX will hold more value over 2-3 years. The Lexus dealership is 5 miles away and Acura is 20miles away. That shouldn't matter to me, but somehow I find the Acura dealer les convenient.

I'm still on the fence, obviously.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping