GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2013 Lexus GX 460

Old 06-20-12, 07:04 AM
KebCam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Lexus GX 460

I have been able to reserve a 2013 GX 460 on it's way from Japan scheduled to arrive in Long Beach by the end of the month. I should be able to take delivery mid to late July. This will be my first Lexus, as I am trading up from an Acura MDX.

Lexus website has been updated with 2013 GX info. Looks to be the same vehicle as the 2012 with a $200 price increase. Anyone notice any differences between the 2012 & 2013 that I am missing?
Old 06-20-12, 02:01 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't someone here say it was going to have LEDs in the front? Everything looks the same.
Old 06-20-12, 04:00 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks the same to me as well. I also thought they were going to change the grill and have LED running lights.
Old 06-20-12, 04:41 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
Looks the same to me as well. I also thought they were going to change the grill and have LED running lights.
i think they save that for MMC, which is couple years away since this generation was brand new last year.
Old 06-21-12, 10:46 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i think they save that for MMC, which is couple years away since this generation was brand new last year.
The current GX 460 was new for 2010...
Old 06-21-12, 01:01 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 GX 460 are for all intents and purposes identical ... only careful reading of specifications and first-hand observation of vehicles will reveal their 'vintage'. That's good for those like me who bought an early-production (November 2009) vehicle ... it appears identical to what KebCam is expecting to arrive later this month, which may preserve resale value, but I'm not selling!

How and when Lexus will revise the GX 460 are not purposeful questions ... we will know the answers when they are announced, although tantalizing tidbits may be disclosed through 'spy' shots and other rumor mongers. Lexus operates much like Apple and other luxury product manufacturers ... we will know about new products when Lexus announces them, but they will not be announced until they are ready. Otherwise, sales of current products are cannibalized in anticipation of future products.

What we may expect is that the 2014 may be revised and the 2015 will certainly be revised ... five model years is about the limit that Lexus will allow their models to "go stale". Those who owned the GX470 may recall how it remained unchanged for five model years, then received a minor update for the last few years before it was superseded by the GX460. If Lexus follows true to course, the update for the GX460 in 2014 or 2015 is the "beginning of the end" ... we are closer to the end of the model's life than to the beginning and something is planned to replace it.

However, there is the possibility that the GX will go the way of the SC! The next update may be the last, and in a few more years Lexus will cease production of the GX as they did the SC after nine years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_SC

My wish for KebCam is that he enjoys his GX as much as we have enjoyed ours. In the long run, the only difference is that we will have had more years of enjoyment. Perhaps we may have the opportunity for an updated GX, but even if this is the last GX we are enjoying it immensely.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-21-12, 02:11 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by SaniDel
The 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 GX 460 are for all intents and purposes identical ... only careful reading of specifications and first-hand observation of vehicles will reveal their 'vintage'. That's good for those like me who bought an early-production (November 2009) vehicle ... it appears identical to what KebCam is expecting to arrive later this month, which may preserve resale value, but I'm not selling!

How and when Lexus will revise the GX 460 are not purposeful questions ... we will know the answers when they are announced, although tantalizing tidbits may be disclosed through 'spy' shots and other rumor mongers. Lexus operates much like Apple and other luxury product manufacturers ... we will know about new products when Lexus announces them, but they will not be announced until they are ready. Otherwise, sales of current products are cannibalized in anticipation of future products.

What we may expect is that the 2014 may be revised and the 2015 will certainly be revised ... five model years is about the limit that Lexus will allow their models to "go stale". Those who owned the GX470 may recall how it remained unchanged for five model years, then received a minor update for the last few years before it was superseded by the GX460. If Lexus follows true to course, the update for the GX460 in 2014 or 2015 is the "beginning of the end" ... we are closer to the end of the model's life than to the beginning and something is planned to replace it.

However, there is the possibility that the GX will go the way of the SC! The next update may be the last, and in a few more years Lexus will cease production of the GX as they did the SC after nine years:

My wish for KebCam is that he enjoys his GX as much as we have enjoyed ours. In the long run, the only difference is that we will have had more years of enjoyment. Perhaps we may have the opportunity for an updated GX, but even if this is the last GX we are enjoying it immensely.
Regards,

SaniDel
They already have specs and pictures of the 2013 GX 460 http://www.lexus.com
Old 06-22-12, 01:07 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Anyone know the differences between the 2012 and the 2013? Usually there are a couple small differences each year.
Old 06-23-12, 07:34 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Although the sales figures have not been updated beyond 2010, it appears the handwriting may be on the wall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_GX

Sales of the 460 in its first year were less than half of the 470. Imagine the predicament Lexus/Toyota is facing ... the more they spend on revisions or new models, the less they sell! I hope the 460 is not the last GX, but I would not be surprised it it were.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-23-12, 09:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Regards,

SaniDel
Actually the GX received an substantial upgrade in 2005, a sport model, voice activated climate and nav, KDSS (2004 or 2005), and most important was a significant upgrade in HP.
Old 06-23-12, 03:02 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Actually the GX received an substantial upgrade in 2005, a sport model, voice activated climate and nav, KDSS (2004 or 2005), and most important was a significant upgrade in HP.
Correct, which indicates the GX is due for an upgrade as it has gone through four model years (2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013) with imperceptible changes. Its fifth (2014) or no later than its sixth (2015) model years are about as long as Lexus would allow a vehicle to "go stale". Either that or the GX will go the way of the SC ...
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-23-12, 05:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Correct, which indicates the GX is due for an upgrade as it has gone through four model years (2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013) with imperceptible changes. Its fifth (2014) or no later than its sixth (2015) model years are about as long as Lexus would allow a vehicle to "go stale". Either that or the GX will go the way of the SC ...
Regards,

SaniDel
You said the GX470 did not receive any changes for 5 model years which is not the case as Lexus updated the GX470 after just two years.
Old 06-23-12, 05:54 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You said the GX470 did not receive any changes for 5 model years which is not the case as Lexus updated the GX470 after just two years.
You are correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GX470

So, what does that say about the GX460, which is into its fourth model year with no significant upgrades? Upgrades are long overdue ... or there may be none!

I'm hoping that the 460 will last as long as the 470 (eight model years) and it would seem unlikely that Lexus/Toyota would end production prematurely. However, as with the SC 430, they may end production at some point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_sc

With each passing model year with no changes, the odds of the former decrease and the odds of the latter increase, especially if the sales numbers trail off as they did for the SC.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-23-12, 11:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You are correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GX470

So, what does that say about the GX460, which is into its fourth model year with no significant upgrades? Upgrades are long overdue ... or there may be none!

I'm hoping that the 460 will last as long as the 470 (eight model years) and it would seem unlikely that Lexus/Toyota would end production prematurely. However, as with the SC 430, they may end production at some point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_sc

With each passing model year with no changes, the odds of the former decrease and the odds of the latter increase, especially if the sales numbers trail off as they did for the SC.
Regards,

SaniDel
Its very tough to predict what will happen to the GX. The problem is not that it is a bad vehicle, the problem is that it is a very limited vehicle with a high starting MSRP.

Having only the V8, side hinged door, full axle in the rear can polarize the buyer who is shopping it against other models.

Do you think it will be canned?

I don't think it will, I think we will see a F-Sport model, a new spindle front end, and a long shot, we might see remote touch added.

The 4.6 is so new that we won't likely see any changes, but the GX did not get the same nav/app updates as the 13' LX so we might be seeing something, these are all my predictions for the 2014 model.

What do yo think will happen?
Old 06-24-12, 07:35 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I think we will see the new front-end, new wheels, revised interior, new tail lamps, and may be increased horsepower.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus GX 460