GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Love my new GX but...

Old 02-01-12, 12:25 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Love my new GX but...

I have had my new GX for three months to the day now and while I love the truck, there are some minor annoyances that I have with the truck which are as follows:

1. The truck seems to get dirtier than my old GX470 for some reason. I don't know if it is the aerodynamics of the truck but the rear fenders and rear window/gate seems to get dirty very fast.

2. The rear windshield wiper is a joke. It doesn't cover a lot of area and given the fact that the window seems to get very dirty, it is annoying. I realize that since the glass now lifts from from the rear door, it was the only solution.

3. Can Lexus just be consistent with the location of the homelink buttons? My old IS had the homelink buttons on the rear view mirror and my old GX470 had them in the upper roof console. Now with the LS and the GX460, they switched. The GX has them on the rear view mirror and the LS has them in the upper roof console. Since we each drive both a lot, it gets annoying.

4. To unlock the doors from the outside with the handle sensors, you have to touch the driver or passenger doors since there are no sensors on the back doors. Annoying to me since the back doors are the one's I use first with kids. The LS (and maybe the IS) has the sensors on the back doors and at the GX price point, I think it should have them as well.

5. The doors require more force than normal to close compared to most vehicles I have owned. I constantly have to open and close the doors because they don't shut all the way the first time.

6. The brake pedal requires much more effort to push when stopping and when sitting at lights than I'm used to.

7. Rear seat entertainment - I actually liked the old screen in the roof system since it can be seen from the third row seats and my kids can't reach them with their greasy little fingers or kick them. Plus, you can't just flip the screen up anymore to turn it off, you have to turn if off with the remote each time you use it or it will come on when you get back in. I read the manual and cannot figure out how to turn off/on the rear screens without the remote so every time we want to use it we have to pull out the remote and point it towards the back. Can someone tell me if it is possible to turn on/off the screens from the radio controls?

8. Side mirrors don't automatically fold when put in park but it is probably there just so you can get through a standard garage door with more clearance since it is kind of tight with them extended.

9. It would have been nice for the truck to come with the crossbars on the roof at this price point.

10. Little LED lights in the headlight would be nice considering Kia's have them now.

Wow, seems like a lot of things but all in all, we love the truck. There are so many more pluses to the truck but I was just wondering if there were any things that annoyed you about the truck.

Last edited by patgilm; 02-01-12 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 12:43 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you covered just about all of them!

Koz
Old 02-01-12, 03:47 PM
rdr7600
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my new GX460, but cannot believe the back door does not have a sensor!!! That's the first door I typically need to open with packages, etc., so it's pretty big inconvenience not having a sensor there!
Old 02-01-12, 05:00 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rdr7600
I love my new GX460, but cannot believe the back door does not have a sensor!!! That's the first door I typically need to open with packages, etc., so it's pretty big inconvenience not having a sensor there!
The GX 460 has lock/unlock buttons on the rear door that work with the electronic key, i.e., you can lock or unlock the vehicle from the rear door if you have the 'fob' on your person, but you have to push the correct button. Further, the 'logic' of those buttons is opposite of what Americans at least would expect, i.e., the upper button locks and the lower button unlocks. Even worse, if you push the wrong button you must step away from the truck, then re-approach the door and push the correct button. It would be nice if simply grasping the outside handle would unlock the vehicle as it does when you grasp either front door handle.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I assume you are not recommending the back door have a power opener ... consider the problems of door dings, fender benders, street lights and pedestrian injury of a large side-swinging rear door opening under power! Has there ever been a vehicle with side-swinging doors that open under power?
Old 02-01-12, 07:31 PM
rdr7600
Driver School Candidate

SaniDel, no I don't mind that the back door has no power...I would just like it to have a touch sensor. The thing I love the most about my new truck is NOT having to rummage around for my keys...such a luxury. I just think Lexus messed up by not having a touch sensor for the back of the truck, too.
Old 02-02-12, 04:28 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
7. Rear seat entertainment - I actually liked the old screen in the roof system since it can be seen from the third row seats and my kids can't reach them with their greasy little fingers or kick them. Plus, you can't just flip the screen up anymore to turn it off, you have to turn if off with the remote each time you use it or it will come on when you get back in. I read the manual and cannot figure out how to turn off/on the rear screens without the remote so every time we want to use it we have to pull out the remote and point it towards the back. Can someone tell me if it is possible to turn on/off the screens from the radio controls?
Yes you can - You can go into the display options on the main screen and from there turn off the rear screens.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-02-12, 07:34 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Yes you can - You can go into the display options on the main screen and from there turn off the rear screens.

Hope that helps.
Yes that helps! Thanks I will give it a try.

One other thing that could have been included is a tire pressure display that shows tire pressure for each tire and it wouldn't have to be in any specific order similar to the LS. I have heard that other less expensive cars have this ability now.
Old 02-02-12, 07:35 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I have had my new GX for three months to the day now and while I love the truck, there are some minor annoyances that I have with the truck which are as follows:

1. The truck seems to get dirtier than my old GX470 for some reason. I don't know if it is the aerodynamics of the truck but the rear fenders and rear window/gate seems to get dirty very fast.

2. The rear windshield wiper is a joke. It doesn't cover a lot of area and given the fact that the window seems to get very dirty, it is annoying. I realize that since the glass now lifts from from the rear door, it was the only solution.

3. Can Lexus just be consistent with the location of the homelink buttons? My old IS had the homelink buttons on the rear view mirror and my old GX470 had them in the upper roof console. Now with the LS and the GX460, they switched. The GX has them on the rear view mirror and the LS has them in the upper roof console. Since we each drive both a lot, it gets annoying.

4. To unlock the doors from the outside with the handle sensors, you have to touch the driver or passenger doors since there are no sensors on the back doors. Annoying to me since the back doors are the one's I use first with kids. The LS (and maybe the IS) has the sensors on the back doors and at the GX price point, I think it should have them as well.

5. The doors require more force than normal to close compared to most vehicles I have owned. I constantly have to open and close the doors because they don't shut all the way the first time.

6. The brake pedal requires much more effort to push when stopping and when sitting at lights than I'm used to.

8. Side mirrors don't automatically fold when put in park but it is probably there just so you can get through a standard garage door with more clearance since it is kind of tight with them extended.

9. It would have been nice for the truck to come with the crossbars on the roof at this price point.

10. Little LED lights in the headlight would be nice considering Kia's have them now.

Wow, seems like a lot of things but all in all, we love the truck. There are so many more pluses to the truck but I was just wondering if there were any things that annoyed you about the truck.
I use Rain-X on my back window and it helps a lot. Before, when it rains or snows, it made it hard to see out of the back window.
Old 02-02-12, 03:03 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

SaniDel, no I don't mind that the back door has no power...I would just like it to have a touch sensor. The thing I love the most about my new truck is NOT having to rummage around for my keys...such a luxury. I just think Lexus messed up by not having a touch sensor for the back of the truck, too.
We are not communicating clearly. The appended diagram shows how this works on the GX 460. I think this meets your definition of a "touch sensor" for the back of the truck.
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Love my new GX but...-open-rear-door.jpg  
Old 02-02-12, 03:53 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

There are two small rubber enclosed switches - one to open and one to close on the back door next to the door handle. You need to look for them as they blend into the surrounding black plastic. You need to press them though to open or lock the door.
Old 02-02-12, 06:22 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think what he wants is to touch the rear hatch door handle and it will then unlock just like the driver's door handle, for example.
Old 02-03-12, 04:56 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You covered many. two others I have though. For the 2010, the outside temp display is only visible when you go to the climate screen. I think that's been remedied with the newer models in that you can toggle to it on the steering wheel. I also hate that there's no quick button to raise or lower the blower on the ac/heater. You can raise or lower the temp directly but have to access the climate screen to change the blower. The rx has a separate blower button so it's no that they don''t do it on other vehicles.
Old 02-03-12, 11:32 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Also, the on/off for the audio sys should be relocated.

Koz
Old 02-03-12, 02:50 PM
rdr7600
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
There are two small rubber enclosed switches - one to open and one to close on the back door next to the door handle. You need to look for them as they blend into the surrounding black plastic. You need to press them though to open or lock the door.
YOU just made my day!!! Thank you so much! It's still sensor operated, so that works for me I haven't had my new 460 for very long and I had never even noticed those two little buttons! This makes me one happy camper, that was pretty much my only complaint! Guess I need to get the manual out and read it, huh? ha Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Now you have me wondering what else it does that I don't know about! lol
Old 02-03-12, 03:01 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Now you have me wondering what else it does that I don't know about! lol
That's what this forum is about ... learning from each other so we don't have to learn the hard way.

The GX 460 is like many modern vehicles ... excessively complicated, poorly documented and in some respects a "work in progress". We have had numerous discussions about how best to understand our purchases and some issues are still unresolved. We have had three years with an essentially unchanged vehicle that is produced in small quantities and is all but invisible to the automotive media. If it were not for this forum, we would be on our own!

Please contribute what you learn about your GX for the rest of us ... thanks.
Regards,

SaniDel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Love my new GX but...