GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Love my new GX but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 03:19 PM
rdr7600
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
That's what this forum is about ... learning from each other so we don't have to learn the hard way.

The GX 460 is like many modern vehicles ... excessively complicated, poorly documented and in some respects a "work in progress". We have had numerous discussions about how best to understand our purchases and some issues are still unresolved. We have had three years with an essentially unchanged vehicle that is produced in small quantities and is all but invisible to the automotive media. If it were not for this forum, we would be on our own!

Please contribute what you learn about your GX for the rest of us ... thanks.
Regards,

SaniDel
You are so right! I found this forum when we purchased my first 2003 GX470! I drove it for 9 years and loved it. It never gave me a minutes trouble in nine years! It was hard to trade it in, but I am so glad we did, the 460 is AWESOME!!! I got my GX460 in mid December, had to wait about 6 weeks for it to come in, but it was worth the wait
Old 02-03-12, 06:24 PM
DLS
Driver School Candidate

Default Dual Air Button

Does anyone know how to toggle the passenger/dual air mode. According to the manual, there is supposed to be a "dual" button (both hard and soft on the climate screen), but not on my 2012 GX.
Old 02-03-12, 07:30 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by DLS
Does anyone know how to toggle the passenger/dual air mode. According to the manual, there is supposed to be a "dual" button (both hard and soft on the climate screen), but not on my 2012 GX.
On my premium model when you push the hard climate button on the left side of the nav screen a soft button pops up above the soft climate control buttons called "three zone". If you push that button it toggles the modes. The easiest way to change to three zone is to just push one of the passenger temp buttons up or down and it switches automatically.
Old 02-04-12, 04:00 AM
DLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patgilm
On my premium model when you push the hard climate button on the left side of the nav screen a soft button pops up above the soft climate control buttons called "three zone". If you push that button it toggles the modes. The easiest way to change to three zone is to just push one of the passenger temp buttons up or down and it switches automatically.
Thank you. This definitely helps. But I am looking for an easy way to get it back to single control (driver's control) from "dual" after a passenger has left the vehicle.
Old 02-04-12, 01:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Yes you can - You can go into the display options on the main screen and from there turn off the rear screens.

Hope that helps.
I tried it and the soft button turns off the screens but when I use it to turn on the screens it only shows a blank screen while the nav screen shows the movie being played. From there I have to pull out the remote and hit the DVD button for the movie to play on the back screens. Any idea how to turn on a movie from the nav screen?
Old 02-06-12, 04:46 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I tried it and the soft button turns off the screens but when I use it to turn on the screens it only shows a blank screen while the nav screen shows the movie being played. From there I have to pull out the remote and hit the DVD button for the movie to play on the back screens. Any idea how to turn on a movie from the nav screen?
Sorry but I do not know. I have not played with it very much since we do not have kids. This option came on the GX as it was the only one the dealer could get that had everything else I wanted, even though I did not want or need the rear entertainment system. My wife keeps wanting to try it out just to see how it works. Have you tried putting the car in gear and see if it switches to the rear screens? I believe once the car is in gear it will not play a movie on the front screen due to safety. Just a thought...
Old 02-07-12, 12:30 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Just found out one other thing I don't care for, the parking brake. I am probably one of the only ones that doesn't like it but I prefer the old hand parking brake versus the foot parking brake.
Old 02-07-12, 03:34 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You're not the only one. The advantage of a hand brake is you can control how much to apply or release whereas the foot brake is essentially all or nothing ... if you push too hard or not hard enough, another push releases the brake and you must start over. We use the parking brake a lot, not only whenever we park, but also whenever either of us gets out of the vehicle. We use it so much that every year or so we must have the parking brake cable tightened as it stretches!

Perhaps only a foot operated parking brake can produce enough tension to securely hold the GX, especially on a hill. We expect the parking brake to hold the vehicle before we shift into Park. It requires a fair amount of upper body strength to set a hand brake ... perhaps more than owners of the GX would expect. Maybe Lexus needs to engineer a power-assisted hand brake :-0
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 02-08-12, 08:00 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What's funny is when you go on other vehicle forums you see REAL problems. Even with all these annoying problems the GX has, it's been a pleasure to own. I have made 4 long trips (towing a travel trailer) last year and all I can say is "What a comfortable pleasure is has been".

Koz
Old 02-08-12, 09:51 AM
rdr7600
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
What's funny is when you go on other vehicle forums you see REAL problems. Even with all these annoying problems the GX has, it's been a pleasure to own. I have made 4 long trips (towing a travel trailer) last year and all I can say is "What a comfortable pleasure is has been".

Koz
I couldn't agree with you more, Koz! I love my GX460 more and more every time I drive it
Old 02-08-12, 10:29 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
I agree as well which is why I bought the GX over a Range Rover Sport. I just want to be able to drive my car to the dealer only for oil changes, not problems where I have to leave it over night for several days. My post would be too long if I were to list all of the positive things!
Old 02-08-12, 11:53 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
Amen to that, Koz! Other than the front-end vibration some members have experienced, most of what we discuss are quirks ... and some may consider them 'features'.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 02-23-12, 08:30 PM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

I've got a light issue that I haven't been able to solve. I haven't looked for the solution yet (didn't check in manual yet) but maybe someone could tell me here.

When I listen to the radio/XM Satellite, if there is information available about song name or artist, it does not scroll the words - but instead just the first few words of it. I wish it would scroll the entire name of the song, scroll the names of the artists or featured artists.

THAT gets to me.
Old 02-24-12, 09:51 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aqua
I've got a light issue that I haven't been able to solve. I haven't looked for the solution yet (didn't check in manual yet) but maybe someone could tell me here.

When I listen to the radio/XM Satellite, if there is information available about song name or artist, it does not scroll the words - but instead just the first few words of it. I wish it would scroll the entire name of the song, scroll the names of the artists or featured artists.

THAT gets to me.
Funny, I noticed the same thing and tried to figure out how to make it scroll but I couldn't figure it out in either of my cars.