GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Buzzing noise from left rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 02:06 PM
dlowe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing noise from left rear wheel

Has anyone else experienced a buzzing noise from their left rear wheel well. I have noticed it a couple of times after the car has been parked in the garage and sitting for awhile. The dealer said it is normal and the auto suspension readjusting. However, it will continue for a long time but will turn off if I start it up. I am concerned this normal leveling will burn out the motor in do time. We have a 2010 premium. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-11, 03:48 PM
SharpSpurs
Driver School Candidate

I belive it is the fuel pump doing some emmisions thing. It is normal and in the owners manuel somewhere.

Mike
Old 12-11-11, 06:20 PM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a premium, but I had a faint buzz or tone from a rear seat not being all the way down.
Old 12-12-11, 07:55 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I had it happen once. I pushed up and down on the rear bumper and it stopped. The dealer said it was normal, but it was running too long to be considered normal in my opinion.
Old 12-12-11, 07:56 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawShank
I don't have a premium, but I had a faint buzz or tone from a rear seat not being all the way down.
He is getting the noise when the vehicle is turned off and it goes away when it is running. What it may be is the rear air susp (it does run with the engine off). When you hear the noise go inside and turn off the rear air.

Koz
Old 12-12-11, 08:18 AM
dlowe
Driver School Candidate

Default Glad to hear I am not alone on this

It is definatley not the rear seats and the dealer told us it was probably the ride adjustment. But I still have a hard time believing that it running that long is normal. It only takes a couple of seconds for the ride height to adjust not minutes. It almost seems like it gets stuck on. My concern is that I have no idea how often this happens. I have caught it doing this several times now by going out to my garage for another reason.
Old 12-12-11, 08:22 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpSpurs
I belive it is the fuel pump doing some emmisions thing. It is normal and in the owners manuel somewhere.

Mike
I think that was mentioned somewhere in the manual. I know that GX470 used to do the same thing and it had something to do with emissions, fuel pump and vapors?

EDIT: I was able to find this in the manual:

"Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming
from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation
leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction."

Main Owner's manual, page 20.

Last edited by gsobol; 12-12-11 at 08:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cancruiser (04-13-22)
Old 12-12-11, 09:25 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

What "Koz" mentioned was absolutely and it is the Rear Suspension Height Control System. When the truck is shut off, the ECM sends signal to the Solenoid Assy to shut off the valve and the bleed the excess air. This noise is from the Solenoid assy which work to do that job. Now while the ignition is set to "on" then the Pump from Pneumatic Cylinder which is located on the LH side start working to pump the fluid into the Height Control Reservoir and balance the Air and once you crank it up the compressor work with the electrical energy gained. The Sound which you hear is just he solenoid. Dont get worked up, it is perfect that you hear it and the system is up and working.
Old 01-26-12, 04:10 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Confirming Fuel Evaporation Leakage Check Noise

Originally Posted by gsobol
I think that was mentioned somewhere in the manual. I know that GX470 used to do the same thing and it had something to do with emissions, fuel pump and vapors?

EDIT: I was able to find this in the manual:

"Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming
from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation
leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction."

Main Owner's manual, page 20.
Approximately seven hours after parking our 2010 base version GX 460 I happened to be in the garage and heard this sound. It didn't last long and it was so quiet as to be unnoticeable if the vehicle had been parked outside, but a one-car garage with the door closed magnified the sound.

Note at the top of Page 20 of the Owner's Manual that it applies to all models so we may all expect this, regardless of version.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. It would be quite an exercise in patience to wait for hours in a quiet garage for a sound that lasts only a minute or so ... take our word for it as we all have better things to do with our time! ;-)
Attached Thumbnails Buzzing noise from left rear wheel-owner-s-manual-page-20.jpg  
mfeferman (01-25-21)
Old 01-29-12, 10:49 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Approximately seven hours after parking our 2010 base version GX 460 I happened to be in the garage and heard this sound. It didn't last long and it was so quiet as to be unnoticeable if the vehicle had been parked outside, but a one-car garage with the door closed magnified the sound.

Note at the top of Page 20 of the Owner's Manual that it applies to all models so we may all expect this, regardless of version.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. It would be quite an exercise in patience to wait for hours in a quiet garage for a sound that lasts only a minute or so ... take our word for it as we all have better things to do with our time! ;-)
Good find!

Koz
Old 09-19-20, 05:04 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I know this is an old thread but this came up searching from my phone. I walked into the garage this morning to this buzzing sound from the rear of the vehicle. Seems wrong that this buzzing would still be going on the next morning and is the first time I have ever had this issue
Old 09-19-20, 05:22 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

How many hours since vehicle was powered off?

Not sure if this can occur longer after power off under certain conditions.

Last edited by Acrad; 03-19-24 at 11:13 AM.
cancruiser (04-13-22)
Old 09-19-20, 06:35 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
How many hours since vehicle was powered off?

Not sure if this can occur longer after power off under certain conditions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-5-hours.html
Thanks for the link, in my case it had been about 8.5 hours since I last drove it. First time I had every come across this so I hope it was just what was mention in the link.
Old 03-18-24, 05:51 PM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Buzzing/humming around rear left wheel

Last night I went in the garage and heard a Buzzing/humming around rear left wheel, a google search says this is normal after 5 hours standing still, as it is some sort of evap check? Funny this is the first time I have heard this, and I have owned the car for 6 years?
Old 03-18-24, 07:49 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
Last night I went in the garage and heard a Buzzing/humming around rear left wheel, a google search says this is normal after 5 hours standing still, as it is some sort of evap check? Funny this is the first time I have heard this, and I have owned the car for 6 years?
Is this a GX460 Luxury? If so I suspect it is the air compressor for the rear air suspension. It is running to maintain the set height even with the vehicle off. Might be a sign that the rear air springs are leaking.

Last edited by mike202; 03-18-24 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Buzzing noise from left rear wheel