GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Signing off. Decided not to purchase GX460. Wanted to thank u all!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 04:43 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
I'm just pointing out there is no need for this forum to be hostile to CR if their findings resulted in making GX safer. Lexus did tighten up the VSC after all.
As we already owned our 2010 GX460 when CR 'condemned' the vehicle for its emergency handling, we were directly and personally involved. In addition to the corporate response, our dealership sequestered any GX in stock until the problem was resolved rather than have to recall them. I am sure there were potential GX buyers discomfited by this as they would rather have their new vehicles and bring them back later for the recall. Undoubtedly, some potential GX 460 buyers walked rather than waited and bought their "second choice", but it was the right thing to do.

For us personally, it was all good. We never noticed, much less were endangered by the original VSC programming, although we would have been at risk in an emergency situation. Our vehicle was recalled on a schedule convenient to us at the invitation of our dealer. We brought our GX to the dealership late in the morning and walked to a nearby restaurant for lunch. By the time we returned from lunch the VSC had been reprogrammed and our vehicle had been washed, the gas tank had been filled ... and a new set of carpet mats had been installed ... all at no cost to us.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 03-27-13, 11:02 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
As far as off-roading, there are some who do.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...e-barrens.html

Even though most will not hit the trails the GX's off-road abilities are taken advantage of in bad weather. I would put the GX up against just about ANY vehicle in bad weather. Also the GX makes a GREAT tow vehicle (in its tow rating).

If size is your number one concern yes the QX is a better bang for the buck! But, I would still pay the extra bucks for the LX. I keep vehicles a long time and reliability/durability is the number one concern for me.

Koz
Hey now, I may be the owner of the first generation GX, but I wanted to set the record straight. There is a rapidly growing number of folks purchasing the GX specifically for offroading in luxury.

see here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-new-post.html

and also on the forum ih8mud.com. There are quite a few folks who are either actively modifying their rigs, or making plans to do so right now.

Just because you choose not to use this vehicle for what it was intended doesnt mean others are not clearing a trail.
Old 04-26-13, 08:53 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know what's funny about the engine power? Toyota sells Prado with 2.7L I4 gas engine overseas. Now imagine driving with THAT considering Prado is very close to GX. Though I guess there are people who are happy driving with 2.7L if Toyota does that... Now here people complain about 4.6L V8 in the same vehicle :-)
Old 04-26-13, 11:41 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
You know what's funny about the engine power? Toyota sells Prado with 2.7L I4 gas engine overseas. Now imagine driving with THAT considering Prado is very close to GX. Though I guess there are people who are happy driving with 2.7L if Toyota does that... Now here people complain about 4.6L V8 in the same vehicle :-)
You have to remember that most who are complaining had driven crossovers with more HP and a car like ride.

Koz
Old 05-05-13, 04:59 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Hi everyone. I'll probably be signing off from these forums. I've been on here for 6+ months gathering info for my GX460 purchase. (I do lots of research before I spend this type of money). In the end, I decided not to purchase a GX460.

Here are my reasons and mind you, some of these are just my opinions and you can disagree if you wish:

- Lexus prestige and reputation seems to have gone down over the last couple of years with all the recalls and perceived problems. Remember, some of this is just perception as all cars have issues. In fact, Toyota just did another major steering issue recall the last day or so. I bought a 2003 4runner when it first came out. At 103k, I had a major engine issue and Toyota refused to honor the 100k extended warranty. Come on, 3k? I still have this vehicle.

- From what a lot of forum members have mentioned, Lexus never really addressed the 50-60mph Steering wheel issue that a lot of you have complained about. Sandiel will say all cars have issues. I understand this, but it seems people didn't have good service and feedback from their dealers on this.

- Something about Toyota and Lexus technology has been stagnant:
Examples:
- Why does this 60k $ vehicle only have 300hp from a V8? If you look at other competitors, they have more. In some cases, from a V6 option. Does this say Toyota isn't really putting money into research?
- Why does this car only have an 18" rim option? Rivals have 18", but have 19 and 20 options. Width of rims are thin also.
- Most vehicles in this same class (eg germans) have LED daytime running lights. Lexus has only come out with this on the IS. why? Audi, Mercedes, and even BMW has those cool round circle daytime running lights. Why can't Lexus do the same?
- Why does the vehicle weigh over 5,000lbs? I mean, this was over 1000lbs heavier than my old SUV. I understand all the electronics, etc, but come on. Newer technology with alluminum here?
- With this weight, vehicle was way way too top heavy and tall.

in the end, it was more of a waivering reputation on Lexus' part that I choose not to purchase a vehicle.

I may get some flame because this is a Lexus forum, but I'm just giving you guys my opinion. I still do like the car, but there are better options for my needs.

I really really appreciate all the information I've gotten from all of you. Anyways, take care all and thanks!
Everyone looks for different values when buying. The Lexus will last many years longer look better as it ages and cost many $$ less to maintain then all the German brands. Now if you don't maintain your Lexus based on recommended schle. Then you will/ could have failures or problems. Bigger engine lower HP means less strange on the engine = lasts longer. Heavier weight means more robust build = designed to last. Lexus uses higher quality steel, paint and their build quality shows. How you can buy a Mercedes or Audi, just trade before the warranty is up and be prepared to spend some major $$ on service.
Old 05-05-13, 05:34 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think this is the issue Lexus needs to, and will address in the new GX. Buyers don't want that anymore, they don't really care about off-road prowess, they want a large, comfortable, good performing vehicle with as good gas mileage as is possible.

You list those differences as positiives, but for 95% of buyers they are negatives.

If you have 10,000 GX's, how many do you think ever leave the road on anything worse than a dirt road headed to a cabin? 2? Does Lexus build a vehicle that sacrifices what the 9,998 people want most for those 2?

And nobody cares, thats my point.
The 4runner/GX like the 100 and 200 series LX/Landcruiser are designed for 3rd world and Miltary duty. The 100's and 200 series were designed for a 25 year service life. Toyota dresses them up and sells some in the USA because they already make them for the world. I think you are confused we are not the center of the off road world. We just benefit from the fact that Toyota builds these robust vehicles for the world market. The stupid thing is to buy one of these "new". Buy a well maintained one out of warranty and then drive it trouble free for the next 10 years or longer.
Old 05-06-13, 06:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
The 4runner/GX like the 100 and 200 series LX/Landcruiser are designed for 3rd world and Miltary duty. The 100's and 200 series were designed for a 25 year service life. Toyota dresses them up and sells some in the USA because they already make them for the world. I think you are confused we are not the center of the off road world. We just benefit from the fact that Toyota builds these robust vehicles for the world market. The stupid thing is to buy one of these "new". Buy a well maintained one out of warranty and then drive it trouble free for the next 10 years or longer.
All of this is well and good, but Lexus needs people to buy these cars new to survive and so you can buy them used. We're talking about new cars, not used cars.

Other companies have more carlike entries for our market and the world market. The Mercedes GL, the Audi Q7 come to mind. Lexus is kind of in this weird place with the GX where it really actually is more similar to something like a Land Rover but they don't market it as such, and that capability clashes with the brand's selling proposition.

Whether or not its a "world vehicle" is meaningless to the point of my point which is what American buyers want.

The Lexus will last many years longer look better as it ages and cost many $$ less to maintain then all the German brands. Now if you don't maintain your Lexus based on recommended schle. Then you will/ could have failures or problems. Bigger engine lower HP means less strange on the engine = lasts longer. Heavier weight means more robust build = designed to last. Lexus uses higher quality steel, paint and their build quality shows. How you can buy a Mercedes or Audi, just trade before the warranty is up and be prepared to spend some major $$ on service.
All of this is arguable. Lexus are very reliable and age well, but they are not inexpensive to maintain when they get older either, and I know plenty of people with BMWs, Mercedes & Audis that have no problems and are happy.

As for heavier weight equaling better build, thats also arguable. There are plenty of new materials and technologies that are out there that manufacturers are using to reduce weight that don't affect build quality. These are things that buyers want, more nimble, better performance, better road ride, more carlike driving experience, better economy.

If you like the old, heavy trucklike SUV thats fine, hence why you own a 10+ year old LX470. You have to realize though that you are not the target buyer for these vehicles when they are $70k and new. Most owners trade out of them within 5 years, or even 3, a lot of drivers are women who use them to drive kids around, and reliability and longevity aren't as important to them as it riding nice, being easy to drive, looking sharp.
Old 05-06-13, 07:04 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
The stupid thing is to buy one of these "new". Buy a well maintained one out of warranty and then drive it trouble free for the next 10 years or longer.
Although I don't feel stupid for buying new, I appreciate that Max707 and others like him create a market by buying used. Without buyers like Max707, the resale value would plummet, which would make buying new ... well, then it would be stupid!

Fortunately, there is a market for both new and used ... and these markets are synergistic. There is a seller and a buyer for every vehicle, new or used ... supply and demand sets the price.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-06-13, 07:42 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Other companies have more carlike entries for our market and the world market. The Mercedes GL, the Audi Q7 come to mind. Lexus is kind of in this weird place with the GX where it really actually is more similar to something like a Land Rover but they don't market it as such, and that capability clashes with the brand's selling proposition.
I agree that the GX market is a strange one and you are right that they don't really market it like a Land Rover. When you think Lexus, most people think plush smooth ride, not an off road capable truck but my wife actually likes the truck-like ride vs. the RX car-like ride which is why she also likes the LR4 and even though I believe it is unibody, it feels more rugged. The pricing of it is kind of strange also, it is much less than a Mercedes GL but is a little above the pricing of a LR4. Based on it's capabilities it should be compared more to the LR4 vs. the X5, Q7, etc.
Old 05-06-13, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree that the GX market is a strange one and you are right that they don't really market it like a Land Rover. When you think Lexus, most people think plush smooth ride, not an off road capable truck but my wife actually likes the truck-like ride vs. the RX car-like ride which is why she also likes the LR4 and even though I believe it is unibody, it feels more rugged. The pricing of it is kind of strange also, it is much less than a Mercedes GL but is a little above the pricing of a LR4. Based on it's capabilities it should be compared more to the LR4 vs. the X5, Q7, etc.
Yeah the Unibody itself isn't the issue, for instance my Jeep is unibody. They can have a unibody structure and dial in a more rugged road feel. If you drive a Mercedes GL or an Audi Q7 they don't feel like an RX, they have a ruggedness and solidity to them as well.

I wouldn't compare it to the X5 because the X5 is only two row seating. The GL is more optioned up, but you can buy one for about what a loaded GX costs, and they have better leases than Lexus so if the customer is leasing the cost difference is not that much.

People don't buy the GX for those capabilities is my point, which is why Lexus doesn't even advertise them. So, when a consumer buys a three row, $65,000 SUV for their family they are dealing with compromises for abilities they don't want, or don't even know the vehicle has with the GX over say a GL, Infinfiti JX or QX, Q7, etc.

When you buy a Land Rover or a Jeep Grand Cherokee you buy it for those capabilities, whether you plan to use them or not, so the compromises make sense. They don't make sense for the GX.
Old 05-06-13, 11:15 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The only way you would want to own a X5, ML, Q7, LR, etc. is it being under a warranty! Very few SUVs are purchased mainly because of their off-road capabilities. The main reason to purchase a GX is RELIABILITY and DURABILITY!

Koz
Old 05-06-13, 12:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know plenty of people with those vehicles that are very happy and have had no problems. Anyways, I'm not going to own the thing for more than 3, maybe 5 years at the longest so what do I care?

I have a client with a 3 year old Land Rover LR4 and we were talking about this yesterday, he had a water pump replaced under warranty...thats it. He's owned Land Rovers for years and for the most part they've been very reliable.
Old 05-06-13, 01:32 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I know plenty of people with those vehicles that are very happy and have had no problems. Anyways, I'm not going to own the thing for more than 3, maybe 5 years at the longest so what do I care?

I have a client with a 3 year old Land Rover LR4 and we were talking about this yesterday, he had a water pump replaced under warranty...thats it. He's owned Land Rovers for years and for the most part they've been very reliable.
My wife really wanted the LR4 but when we talked to the salesperson and when I asked about reliability he said they were getting better. At least he was honest but with an answer like that I just didn't want to deal with any issues. My service advisor at Lexus is a friend of mine and his friend is a service manager at Land Rover and even he laughs at what people will pay for them and how they always seem to have issues. I know two people with RR Sports, one of them had to have the interior/dash taken apart within 3k miles brand new for a radio issue and the other says they are beautiful to look at and you feel like a million bucks driving it but they are not that reliable (his is the supercharged model so not sure if those have more issues).
Old 05-06-13, 03:00 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

If you like the old, heavy trucklike SUV thats fine, hence why you own a 10+ year old LX470. You have to realize though that you are not the target buyer for these vehicles when they are $70k and new. Most owners trade out of them within 5 years, or even 3, a lot of drivers are women who use them to drive kids around, and reliability and longevity aren't as important to them as it riding nice, being easy to drive, looking sharp.
I think it has more to do with knowledge and knowing what the product can do. I buy new. In 2008 I bought a new Mercedes CLS63 AMG with the performance package MSRP $127,000+. Fun car to drive, at around 7k miles it needed a brake job , that only cost $2500. I sold that beauty before the warranty expired. I can't buy a "new" 100 series since they don't make them anymore, which is not a problem since the 100 series is so well built. Lexus's sells every new LX/GX they get and they don't have to go over board discounting them. Plus they hold their resale better then the German brands. I guess there are enough "stupid" buyers who like to drive these clunky, poor handling, ugly SUV's, that Lexus will keep importing them.
Old 05-06-13, 03:16 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^You must be rich!

AMG cars are never to be bought new IMO, buy a low mileage one year model at easily a $20k or greater discount so you must have money to burn. My last ML63 I got for roughly $35k off MSRP with 10k miles

Quick Reply: Signing off. Decided not to purchase GX460. Wanted to thank u all!