GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Signing off. Decided not to purchase GX460. Wanted to thank u all!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-13, 09:33 AM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
s4play,

My requirements were I wanted a pretty much fully loaded SUV with third row seats (which makes no sense since I rarely use them) that was good in inclement weather. I came from a 2008 GX470 and loved it. It was reliable (only oil changes, nothing else through 50k miles including original tires and brakes) and good in bad weather (we had a significant amount of snow one year and it tore through it no problem although weather hasn't been an issue since). My limiting factor when shopping for a new SUV was price range since I wanted the truck to be at most $60k. I looked at the BMW X5 and liked it but it's reliability wasn't that great and it really isn't a good SUV in bad weather. I also liked the Mercedes GL but it was way out of my price range when optioned up. I looked at the QX but it was over my budget and although the GX isn't much of a looker, the QX to me was plain awful looking. I looked at the Audi A7 and it just didn't really do it for me on the interior. I really liked the Land Rover RR Sport or LR4 but it consistently ranks low on reliability and I know people that currently own them and they still have some issues, the service experience isn't great, and the maintenance costs are killer (brakes, tires, etc.). As a result of the above, the GX was the only one that met my needs that could be had for under $60k with all of the features I wanted.

I didn't consider any american SUV's for no good reason but if my budget was larger I would have bought a Mercedes GL and if reliability was better the LR4. I will likely try a LR4 next since my wife really likes them but will likely lease it for a short term.
i looked at all of those vehicles also and turned them down for all of the same reasons. GX just made sense all around and now that I own one I absolutely love it, its fine to drive, comfortable and reliable.
Old 02-22-13, 12:01 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
I read the OP's post and although I don't agree with him on the Lexus quality as my experience has always been top notch but I am curious why you guys picked a GX?

The car does have off-road heritage but let's be honest who really takes the car off-roading here?

It's not the prettiest suv nor is it big, the 3rd row seats are a joke!

We just sold our RX and looking to get a large 3-row SUV and apparently Lexus does not have such a vehicle so we're looking at the QX56. V8, 400hp and priced reasonably.

The LX is just way overpriced for such a truck and the GX is not much better in terms of size. I'm just curious why owners here pick this model? I'd love to hear your reasons.

I love Lexus and will always be a brand loyalist (we had the ISF and now a CT200h) but in the big truck segment Lexus is definitely lagging behind

rick
As far as off-roading, there are some who do.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...e-barrens.html

Even though most will not hit the trails the GX's off-road abilities are taken advantage of in bad weather. I would put the GX up against just about ANY vehicle in bad weather. Also the GX makes a GREAT tow vehicle (in its tow rating).

If size is your number one concern yes the QX is a better bang for the buck! But, I would still pay the extra bucks for the LX. I keep vehicles a long time and reliability/durability is the number one concern for me.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 02-22-13 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-22-13, 12:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
If size is your number one concern yes the QX is a better bang for the buck! But, I would still pay the extra bucks for the LX. I keep vehicles a long time and reliability/durability is the number one concern for me.
The difference is a lot of bucks...
Old 02-27-13, 03:42 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm waiting on the refresh that's supposed to come MY 2014. as currently stand i agree with OP, GX is very underwhelming compare to the likes of GL450, Q7, or even Porsche Cayenne which are all in the same price ball park. i wish Lexus drop the 4.7 L, just put that 5.7 in there with an 8 speed auto. one thing i have to disagree with OP is the lack of options for bigger rims for GX. GX isn't your typical premium luxury SUVs, it's based on Toyota 4Runners which has a heritage of being an off road king. wheels bigger than 18'' would just look out of place on GX.
Old 02-28-13, 06:09 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i'm waiting on the refresh that's supposed to come MY 2014. as currently stand i agree with OP, GX is very underwhelming compare to the likes of GL450, Q7, or even Porsche Cayenne which are all in the same price ball park. i wish Lexus drop the 4.7 L, just put that 5.7 in there with an 8 speed auto. one thing i have to disagree with OP is the lack of options for bigger rims for GX. GX isn't your typical premium luxury SUVs, it's based on Toyota 4Runners which has a heritage of being an off road king. wheels bigger than 18'' would just look out of place on GX.
The other SUVs (mentioned above) in the GX class are more pavement based vehicles with performance being a larger concern. The GX sacrifices’ some performance for off-road/bad weather ability. This is why there is a difference in driving dynamics and gas mileage. The 4.6 is the perfect blend of power (just enough) and mileage (class leading). It would be nice if they had an F-Sport model with the 5.7 and an 8 speed but Toyota has a pretty good handle on what sells. Again you have to remember the GX is based off the Toyota Prado and we are lucky enough to be able to get the GX (which is the most refined model of the Prado). I love BIG power and would love to see more in the GX but I have to say the 4.6 GX is not underpowered for what it is and being able to get 20+ MPG (on the highway) with gas being $4 a gal, is nice. Also vehicles like the Porsche Cayenne are a joke off-road. It all depends on what your driving needs are and how long you keep a vehicle. I would not want to own a BMW/Benz/Audi/Porsche without a warranty.

Koz
Old 02-28-13, 07:11 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that GX is also assembled in Japan on one of the most advanced plants in the world.

Lexus is in a huge lead in JD Power reliability study:

Old 02-28-13, 07:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
The other SUVs (mentioned above) in the GX class are more pavement based vehicles with performance being a larger concern. The GX sacrifices’ some performance for off-road/bad weather ability. This is why there is a difference in driving dynamics and gas mileage.
I think this is the issue Lexus needs to, and will address in the new GX. Buyers don't want that anymore, they don't really care about off-road prowess, they want a large, comfortable, good performing vehicle with as good gas mileage as is possible.

You list those differences as positiives, but for 95% of buyers they are negatives.

If you have 10,000 GX's, how many do you think ever leave the road on anything worse than a dirt road headed to a cabin? 2? Does Lexus build a vehicle that sacrifices what the 9,998 people want most for those 2?

Also vehicles like the Porsche Cayenne are a joke off-road.
And nobody cares, thats my point.
Old 02-28-13, 10:22 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
GX is very underwhelming compare to the likes of GL450, Q7, or even Porsche Cayenne which are all in the same price ball park.
It depends what you mean by same ballpark since everyone is different. Besides the Q7, I could not get the GL or the Cayenne in the same ballpark with similar options/features. The GL was around $15k higher and the Cayenne was about $10K higher. To me personally, that was enough to consider it out of my ballpark.
Old 02-28-13, 10:45 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My $.02:

We just bought a GX to replace a Toyota Sequoia that needed a new frame (they would pay, but we didn't want to put more money in for the inevitable parts they wouldn't cover).

Anyway, we are at a point where we didn't really need a huge SUV, but still needed something decent-sized to haul the family across the country and back once a year to our summer house. We still need a third row for short trips where we haul lots of people.

We looked at the 4Runner, but there isn't enough headroom in the second seat, and it also felt cramped elsewhere. We are a tall family.

We would never buy an American or German SUV for reliability reasons (the Mercedes sedan in the garage two slots over from the GX will be the last German car we buy-the car between them is an RX).

We wish the GX had better gas mileage or at least better acceleration, but otherwise it hit pretty much everything on our list. We actually like the styling and it is quiet and comfortable. It will never see much off-road use, just on soft sand when going to the beach.

Enform is a joke, however. Not only does it require many steps to set up, Lexus tells me the GX doesn't have Open Table, Pandora, etc. apps. I can download destinations to the car. Big whoop.

Last edited by LFIL; 02-28-13 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-28-13, 12:39 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I think this is the issue Lexus needs to, and will address in the new GX. Buyers don't want that anymore, they don't really care about off-road prowess, they want a large, comfortable, good performing vehicle with as good gas mileage as is possible.

You list those differences as positiives, but for 95% of buyers they are negatives.

If you have 10,000 GX's, how many do you think ever leave the road on anything worse than a dirt road headed to a cabin? 2? Does Lexus build a vehicle that sacrifices what the 9,998 people want most for those 2?

And nobody cares, thats my point.
The GX is a by-product of the Prado. As long as the rest of the world wants the Prado (which is very popular) the GX will remain a real truck. You also have to remember that the RX is one of the most successful crossovers on the market and sells extremely well. If you need an SUV for 7/8 full sized adults the GX will never be the vehicle of choice, even if they put 500hp and make it uni-body (it just isn’t big enough). There are several advantages the GX has that are very desirable; class leading gas mileage, off-road ability that makes it an excellent bad weather vehicle, reliability and great resale value.

Koz
Old 02-28-13, 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
The GX is a by-product of the Prado. As long as the rest of the world wants the Prado (which is very popular) the GX will remain a real truck.
We'll see...

You also have to remember that the RX is one of the most successful crossovers on the market and sells extremely well.
But the RX is not of the same caliber as the GX. There is a market for a nice, powerful $60k full sized SUV.
Old 03-13-13, 01:54 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I. Buyers don't want that anymore, they don't really care about off-road prowess, they want a large, comfortable, good performing vehicle with as good gas mileage as is possible.
Buyers in your neck of the woods - the east coast - may not care much about off-road prowess or towing capability.

But out West it's a different story; 4WD SUV's and Pickups are popular despite their poor fuel economy because we have mountains and lots of recreational opportunities in those mountains.
Old 03-13-13, 06:53 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Buyers in your neck of the woods - the east coast - may not care much about off-road prowess or towing capability.
You are quite right, Gemigniani. We never take our GX off-road, we don't have a tow hitch and our idea of "roughing it" is driving in the rain. ;-)

What we do appreciate is the comfortable and quiet ride, the surprising agility ... especially the tight turning radius for parking ... and the security and peace-of-mind of four-wheel drive. We also know that if we lose power in a blizzard ... it happens, even in Delaware ... our GX would be our "emergency escape vehicle"! Where we would go is another issue, but we could get there.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. We've even thought through how we would 'escape' ... our garage door opener has a battery backup!
Old 03-13-13, 07:11 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A recent automotive column lamented the decline of "land yachts" ... large, body-on-frame sedans with large V-8 engines, rear-wheel drive and excessive turning radius. They were often driven by old men wearing Sans-a-Belt pants and golf caps who peered through the spokes of the steering wheel as they meandered down the highway ;-)

The point of the article ... besides the humor ... was that those vehicles are gone, but there are still drivers who appreciate the advantages of those vehicles ... and they are now driving SUVs! I admit to being ... or at least getting old, but I still wear a belt and look over the steering wheel ... and I like driving a "... large, comfortable, good performing vehicle ..." as you said. Even better, so does my wife and one GX 460 satisfies both of us.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 03-13-13, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gemigniani

But out West it's a different story; 4WD SUV's and Pickups are popular despite their poor fuel economy because we have mountains and lots of recreational opportunities in those mountains.
That may be true...but we're the ones who buy these vehicles. Without sales to the east and west coasts...there aren't enough sales to sustain the model or the brand.

Originally Posted by SaniDel
A recent automotive column lamented the decline of "land yachts" ... large, body-on-frame sedans with large V-8 engines, rear-wheel drive and excessive turning radius. They were often driven by old men wearing Sans-a-Belt pants and golf caps who peered through the spokes of the steering wheel as they meandered down the highway ;-)
But, there weren't enough people willing to buy those vehicles to sustain the models, even with all the sales to police, government & livery fleets.

The other concern is safety, as safety regulations get more strict, and fuel economy standards as they become more strict. Body on frame vehicles typically have drawbacks in both categories when compared to more modern unibody designs.

My point is...you're seeing less and less full frame SUVs, as you now see no full frame cars.

Quick Reply: Signing off. Decided not to purchase GX460. Wanted to thank u all!