GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Signing off. Decided not to purchase GX460. Wanted to thank u all!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 07:31 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thankyou SaniDel,
I will keep You guys posted.
Thankyou.
Old 12-05-11, 11:08 AM
cannysage
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My other 2 options were the x5 and an 85k Benz suv (out of my budget, similar to 460). I'm happy with my purchase. 16k miles and I have zero issues.
Old 01-19-13, 08:49 AM
Max4Speed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring up the old thread but wondering what the OP purchased
Old 01-29-13, 07:55 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Max4Speed
You talking about me?
Old 01-30-13, 05:52 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
You talking about me?
The "OP" would be you.
Old 01-30-13, 02:28 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Max4Speed

I purchased a Porsche Cayenne. Although, I'm still lingering here since I may be getting a second SUV
Old 01-30-13, 04:03 PM
khiroshima
Rookie

Originally Posted by frank69m
I purchased a Porsche Cayenne. Although, I'm still lingering here since I may be getting a second SUV
Thanks for the update, always curious . . . That was a consideration for me as well, but the third row turned out to be a requirement for me, so I'm just going to have to eventually settle with the 997 TT, oh well-- KH
Old 01-30-13, 05:14 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by khiroshima
Thanks for the update, always curious . . . That was a consideration for me as well, but the third row turned out to be a requirement for me, so I'm just going to have to eventually settle with the 997 TT, oh well-- KH
Best of both worlds, GX460 and a 997 TT...haha.. 2 vehicles at opposite ends...Although, the newer 991's are sweet.
Old 01-30-13, 11:12 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

I have read this thread with interest. It appears that I am on the other end of the spectrum, I have owned two Porsche Cayennes, 2011 and 2012 model, but the third generation model lost some of the off roading capabilities that the second generation had. The vehicle is now really built for speed and performance more in light off road traveling.

I looked at the true alternatives and opted for the Lexus. I took the leap for the LX as it had the real off road capabilities. At the present time, there is no real alternative to the Lexus, other than the Land Rover and land Cruiser IMHO.

For speed and performance, I would take a spin in my Porsche 911 (991) S.
Old 02-02-13, 08:51 AM
LexusVet
Pole Position

I was in a similar boat I looked at all SUV's in the GX class and nothing compares. I have 4000 miles on mine now and I have not felt any vibrations or any issues I absolutely love the truck, I had a 2010 RX prior and had no issues with that either I just needed more room. I also just special ordered a gs350, I will never own another brand every time I stray I also come back to Lexus. There is no other SUV that compares to the GX in its price range in my opinion on the market right now.
Old 02-21-13, 10:15 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read the OP's post and although I don't agree with him on the Lexus quality as my experience has always been top notch but I am curious why you guys picked a GX?

The car does have off-road heritage but let's be honest who really takes the car off-roading here?

It's not the prettiest suv nor is it big, the 3rd row seats are a joke!

We just sold our RX and looking to get a large 3-row SUV and apparently Lexus does not have such a vehicle so we're looking at the QX56. V8, 400hp and priced reasonably.

The LX is just way overpriced for such a truck and the GX is not much better in terms of size. I'm just curious why owners here pick this model? I'd love to hear your reasons.

I love Lexus and will always be a brand loyalist (we had the ISF and now a CT200h) but in the big truck segment Lexus is definitely lagging behind

rick
Old 02-21-13, 11:03 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dochusar
I have read this thread with interest. It appears that I am on the other end of the spectrum, I have owned two Porsche Cayennes, 2011 and 2012 model, but the third generation model lost some of the off roading capabilities that the second generation had. The vehicle is now really built for speed and performance more in light off road traveling.

I looked at the true alternatives and opted for the Lexus. I took the leap for the LX as it had the real off road capabilities. At the present time, there is no real alternative to the Lexus, other than the Land Rover and land Cruiser IMHO.

For speed and performance, I would take a spin in my Porsche 911 (991) S.
I believe you meant the Cayenne Second generation .. as the third generation is not out yet. IMHO, the GX will give the LX a solid run for the money they're both real off-road capable.
Old 02-21-13, 08:02 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s4play
I read the OP's post and although I don't agree with him on the Lexus quality as my experience has always been top notch but I am curious why you guys picked a GX?

The car does have off-road heritage but let's be honest who really takes the car off-roading here?

It's not the prettiest suv nor is it big, the 3rd row seats are a joke!

We just sold our RX and looking to get a large 3-row SUV and apparently Lexus does not have such a vehicle so we're looking at the QX56. V8, 400hp and priced reasonably.

The LX is just way overpriced for such a truck and the GX is not much better in terms of size. I'm just curious why owners here pick this model? I'd love to hear your reasons.

I love Lexus and will always be a brand loyalist (we had the ISF and now a CT200h) but in the big truck segment Lexus is definitely lagging behind rick
its a matter of preference, I looked at all the competition and nothing compared to the GX, I think it is the nicest looking suv in its class and will look even nicer when the change the grille and add LED's, The QX isnt a terrible looking truck , I felt like the ride was horrible really bumpy and floated all over the road, its more expensive if you load it fully, and why would anyone need 400+ horsepower in a truck who's racing this thing? its a waste of money good luck with 9mpg that its going to end up getting. Its not a practical vehicle. I guess im just a true blue Lexus enthusiast But I really felt like I looked at and studied all of the competition.

ps I have never stepped on the gas pedal of my GX and wished it had more power, I think its adequate for what it is.
Old 02-21-13, 08:29 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusVet
its a matter of preference, I looked at all the competition and nothing compared to the GX, I think it is the nicest looking suv in its class and will look even nicer when the change the grille and add LED's, The QX isnt a terrible looking truck , I felt like the ride was horrible really bumpy and floated all over the road, its more expensive if you load it fully, and why would anyone need 400+ horsepower in a truck who's racing this thing? its a waste of money good luck with 9mpg that its going to end up getting. Its not a practical vehicle. I guess im just a true blue Lexus enthusiast But I really felt like I looked at and studied all of the competition.

ps I have never stepped on the gas pedal of my GX and wished it had more power, I think its adequate for what it is.
No disrespect but it's pretty obvious you like your GX which is just fine but there are a lot of nicer "SUV's out there IMO. But I asked so thank you for your response.

For true 3 row seating for adults there are few SUV's out there and Lexus simply does not have such a vehicle. Anyone can use more HP

P.S. the QX56 gets 16 mpg combined
Old 02-22-13, 06:35 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

s4play,

My requirements were I wanted a pretty much fully loaded SUV with third row seats (which makes no sense since I rarely use them) that was good in inclement weather. I came from a 2008 GX470 and loved it. It was reliable (only oil changes, nothing else through 50k miles including original tires and brakes) and good in bad weather (we had a significant amount of snow one year and it tore through it no problem although weather hasn't been an issue since). My limiting factor when shopping for a new SUV was price range since I wanted the truck to be at most $60k. I looked at the BMW X5 and liked it but it's reliability wasn't that great and it really isn't a good SUV in bad weather. I also liked the Mercedes GL but it was way out of my price range when optioned up. I looked at the QX but it was over my budget and although the GX isn't much of a looker, the QX to me was plain awful looking. I looked at the Audi A7 and it just didn't really do it for me on the interior. I really liked the Land Rover RR Sport or LR4 but it consistently ranks low on reliability and I know people that currently own them and they still have some issues, the service experience isn't great, and the maintenance costs are killer (brakes, tires, etc.). As a result of the above, the GX was the only one that met my needs that could be had for under $60k with all of the features I wanted.

I didn't consider any american SUV's for no good reason but if my budget was larger I would have bought a Mercedes GL and if reliability was better the LR4. I will likely try a LR4 next since my wife really likes them but will likely lease it for a short term.

Last edited by patgilm; 02-22-13 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Signing off. Decided not to purchase GX460. Wanted to thank u all!