GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

gear shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-11, 04:07 PM
erickropp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear shift ****

I am looking at pictures of the inside of the 460 and some gear shift ***** have leather on the front and the wood on the back. Some have wood on the front and leather on the back.

Does anybody know I can turn my **** around? Mine has leather on the front and it would be nicer to have the wood on the front. You cant see the wood when its on the back which doesnt make any sense to me.

Im wondering why some are one way and some the other way. any explanation?

Thanks
Old 11-06-11, 04:43 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I've never looked at the GX's shift **** but they usually are threaded on with some type of locking nut or allen set screw. I would think you could loosen the lock and reset/turn the **** and re-lock it. Also the Stealer should be able to turn it for you for free.

Koz
Old 11-06-11, 04:48 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Our early-production 2010 GX 460 has the leather on the front and the wood on the back. Notice from the attached photographs that the gear shift **** is not symmetrical ... there is a large bulge on the back ... are you sure you would want to grip that?

There's certainly a way to remove and maybe to reverse the ****, but it wasn't obvious from a few minutes of fiddling. Perhaps the chrome ring under the **** and above the leather boot can be turned with the correct tool. Sorry ... I don't do tools! ;-)
Regards

SaniDel

P.S. Apologies for the rotated images. I took them in 'portrait' view with my iPhone, but Club Lexus rotated them to 'landscape'.
Attached Thumbnails gear shift knob-gear-shift-knob.jpg   gear shift knob-gear-shift-know-and-hand.jpg  

Last edited by SaniDel; 11-06-11 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Apologies for rotated images
Old 11-06-11, 04:59 PM
erickropp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
I've never looked at the GX's shift **** but they usually are threaded on with some type of locking nut or allen set screw. I would think you could loosen the lock and reset/turn the **** and re-lock it. Also the Stealer should be able to turn it for you for free.

Koz
thanks for the info. I will give a look then have the dealer do it if I cant.
Old 11-06-11, 05:00 PM
erickropp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Our early-production 2010 GX 460 has the leather on the front and the wood on the back. Notice from the attached photographs that the gear shift **** is not symmetrical ... there is a large bulge on the back ... are you sure you would want to grip that?

There's certainly a way to remove and maybe to reverse the ****, but it wasn't obvious from a few minutes of fiddling. Perhaps the chrome ring under the **** and above the leather boot can be turned with the correct tool. Sorry ... I don't do tools! ;-)
Regards

SaniDel

P.S. Apologies for the rotated images. I took them in 'portrait' view with my iPhone, but Club Lexus rotated them to 'landscape'.
your **** looks to be correct while mine is the other way around. i definitely want to rotate it
Old 11-06-11, 05:06 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by erickropp
your **** looks to be correct while mine is the other way around. i definitely want to rotate it
Would imagine it is more difficult to grasp if rotated so the wood side is forward. The **** is asymmetric and knowing Lexus they intended it to be only one way ... their way!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 11-06-11, 05:12 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Hmmm ... not as asymmetric as I thought as this side view shows. So, It could be reversed, but which side would you rather grip ... wood or leather?
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails gear shift knob-gear-shift-knob-side-view.jpg  
Old 11-06-11, 05:47 PM
erickropp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Hmmm ... not as asymmetric as I thought as this side view shows. So, It could be reversed, but which side would you rather grip ... wood or leather?
Regards,

SaniDel
so I was able to turn the **** by simply turning it clockwise and holding the leather pouch cover in place.

I like the feel of the **** with the wood on the back. The **** feels more natural to the hand like it was meant to be this way.

Though, I like the look of the wood in the front.

so I guess it's easy enough that I can easily change my mind all the time
Old 11-06-11, 08:11 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I thought the same thing when I first started looking at the GX. I though it looks better to have the wood on the front but the way it is contoured it is definitely better to have the wood on the back.

Unfortunately for me the wood on my shift **** has a little piece that is peeling/sticking up where it meets the chrome ring and it almost cut my finger. I called the dealer I purchased it from and hopefully they will take care of it and order me a new one. I took pictures and sent it to them and am just waiting to hear from them. My truck only has 150 miles on it so hopefully they won't say I did it since it would be impossible for someone to actually do something like this to the shift ****.
Old 11-21-11, 10:42 AM
Koz

I changed my IS ****.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails gear shift knob-is-shift-knob.jpg  
Old 11-21-11, 12:42 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This is from the LS 600 and would look great on the GX.

Last edited by jaleels; 11-21-11 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 12:52 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

^^^
Looks like a factory LS600hL shift ****. I would love to have one on mine but I am not willing to pay $300 for a shift ****.

Koz,

Looks like you still have the nice all weather mats in your IS. When I took mine in to the dealer for the pedal recall my friend who is my service adviser forgot to tell me to take out my old all weather mats and they ended up shredding them and replaced them with the new thinner/cheaper floor mats.
Old 11-21-11, 02:43 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by patgilm
^^^
Koz,

Looks like you still have the nice all weather mats in your IS. When I took mine in to the dealer for the pedal recall my friend who is my service adviser forgot to tell me to take out my old all weather mats and they ended up shredding them and replaced them with the new thinner/cheaper floor mats.
The OEM all weather mats lasted less then a year before a hole wore through (old pic). I replaced them with WeatherTech liners (excellent mats). I would never buy Lexus mats again (POS).

Koz