GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Before and after pics of HID fog and low beam upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 03:36 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Before and after pics of HID fog and low beam upgrade.

I ordered and just received from Top Speed Performance:

1x HID Replacement D4S 6000K bulbs @ $40

1x Model 2 HID H11 6000K Regular Ballast Kit @ $49.99

The parts appear to have arrived undamaged and of good quality. The kit came complete with mounting brackets for the ballasts however there were no installation instructions. I made a quick call to see if the lack of install instructions was just an oversight or if the instructions were available on there website. I was told the written instructions were confusing so they stopped sending them however installation is simple "plug-n-play".

I'm looking forward to installing them Friday and will take some before and after pics for those who may be interested in purchasing them.

One thing to note is that they were kind enough to ship these items via USPS Priority Mail in a flat rate box for $10 and for me that is commendable because shipping items here can become costly.

Top pic is stock 4300k HID Low Beams and stock fogs.
Lower left is also stock low beams and stock fogs.
Lower right is 6000k Low Beam and stock fog.
Bottom pis is 6000k Low Beams and 6000k HID fog.

Installation was fast and straight forward (< 1 hr) because it is easy to access the fogs from under the bumper. I opted to use heavy duty zip ties to hold ballast rather than the brackets and hardware provided.
Attached Thumbnails Before and after pics of HID fog and low beam upgrade.-stock-4500k-low-beam-and-stock-fog.jpg   Before and after pics of HID fog and low beam upgrade.-stock-low-beam-and-stock-fog.jpg   Before and after pics of HID fog and low beam upgrade.-6k-low-beam-stock-fog.jpg   Before and after pics of HID fog and low beam upgrade.-after-6k-low-beam-and-6k-fog.jpg  

Last edited by rs/ss; 10-31-11 at 04:23 PM. Reason: text edit.
Old 10-31-11, 04:26 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

looks nice, but i wouldnt of put hids on the fogs. the ballasts dont light up the fogs quickly enough as the fogs must turn on/off instantly with the high beam function. it will also lead to early failure of your hids.

leds are the better option as they are providing more and more lumens each year.
Old 11-01-11, 11:50 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun
looks nice, but i wouldnt of put hids on the fogs. the ballasts dont light up the fogs quickly enough as the fogs must turn on/off instantly with the high beam function. it will also lead to early failure of your hids.

leds are the better option as they are providing more and more lumens each year.
You make a good point however I can't remember the last time I used my high beams. To few roads and to many cars here i guess. I do like the leds though and plan on replaceing DDL and other verious lights with them. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-01-11, 12:02 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

LEDs = http://www.v-leds.com/

Koz
Old 11-01-11, 04:42 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
I've had great luck with V-Leds. They are great club vendors.

Last edited by rs/ss; 11-01-11 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-11, 08:42 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

for the handy people here, heres a led option

fit one of these luxeon round assemblies into the fog housing with a good heat seat and led driver, and youre set...

http://www.luxeonstar.com/Cool-White...lies-s/235.htm
Old 11-02-11, 11:33 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun
for the handy people here, heres a led option

fit one of these luxeon round assemblies into the fog housing with a good heat seat and led driver, and youre set...

http://www.luxeonstar.com/Cool-White...lies-s/235.htm
That looks very interesting. Have you done this? If so please post pics and or DIY.
Old 11-03-11, 07:50 AM
Koz

I have these and they work/look great! The 5K matches the OEM HIDs perfectly and they are plug n play (direct replacement). They also come in 6K.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...24328-1-2.html

Koz
Old 11-04-11, 10:00 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Hey Koz, I was prob going to V-Leds for my replacement DRLs. Have you replaced yours and if so what did you go with? Mahalo.
Old 11-05-11, 07:01 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by rs/ss
Hey Koz, I was prob going to V-Leds for my replacement DRLs. Have you replaced yours and if so what did you go with? Mahalo.
I just replaced my DRLs in my IS with this kit;

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Da...d_sku45_r4.htm

They work perfect but the temp of the bulbs were supposed to match the OEM HIDs, they didn't. The OEM HIDs are approx 4350K this kit was approx 6000K, more blue. Being that the DRL are on alone (with no other lights) it looks good, but I don't like them that blue. I love the color of 5000K temp bulbs, it is the perfect bright white with no blue. The reason I didn't get the vleds kit was because it was not available. I will be replacing the bulbs (just the bulbs) with the vleds 5000K bulbs as soon as I get the next discount code.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...22474-1-2.html

You changed your HIDs and fog/driving lights to 6000K bulbs and the bulbs I'm going to replace would match your setup perfectly. If you are interested in these bulbs let me know, I'll let them go for half the cost.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 11-05-11 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-05-11, 07:22 AM
Koz

To answer your question, I have these in my GX;

http://www.amazon.com/MTEC-4X-Super-.../dp/B004N32ZZI

These are the same bulbs I had in my IS until they died (lasted 3 years). As soon as they die I will replace them with the 5000K vleds.

Koz
Old 11-06-11, 12:57 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
To answer your question, I have these in my GX;

http://www.amazon.com/MTEC-4X-Super-.../dp/B004N32ZZI

These are the same bulbs I had in my IS until they died (lasted 3 years). As soon as they die I will replace them with the 5000K vleds.

Koz
Wow $18 bulbs vs $50 LEDs? Sounds like you're defiantly getting your monies worth out of those bulbs With value those bulbs offer would you change it up? Don't get me wrong V-LEDs is a great company with a great product, just wondering.

I also used theV-LEDs IS 250/350 DRL kit on my IS and was very pleased with the results.
Old 11-06-11, 07:01 AM
Koz

Wow $18 bulbs vs $50 LEDs? Sounds like you're defiantly getting your monies worth out of those bulbs With value those bulbs offer would you change it up? Don't get me wrong V-LEDs is a great company with a great product, just wondering.

I also used theV-LEDs IS 250/350 DRL kit on my IS and was very pleased with the results.
The problem I have with the hi-power halogen bulbs is they only last several (2 to 3) years and always die at the worst time. It's a shame because the high beams are killer, where you lose that extra lumens with LEDS. It turns out there is still high beams with the LEDs because there is a curtain (cut-off shield) on the low beam HIDs that lifts when high beams are used. This allows the HID low beams to be fully exposed with no cut-off. I also do not like the warm color (temp) of the DRLs, even though they are cooler (whiter) then the OEM (9005s).

PS - These LEDs are by far the best bulbs to use in the running boards. They amazingly light the ground and running boards like no other bulbs. They make the GX look GREAT at night when you walk up to it. They also are the best bulbs for the domes inside the vehicle. It's like day light! They also come in 6000K (temp).

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...57621-1-2.html

Koz