GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX Vs GL 450

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 06:47 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default GX Vs GL 450

I am totally confused on making the final decision.

The only drawback for the GX is the rear door which opens to the side. I am not able to convince myself to make a decision.

Any advices?
Old 10-21-11, 11:59 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Made the leap to GL 450 1.5 years ago, when the GX 460 came out, and my GX 470 lease was up. I've heard horror stories regarding quality and reliability of the Benz, but so far it's proving more reliable than the GX 470 I used to have.

In the nutshell:

Benz GL-450
Pros: roomier, quieter at highway speeds, lift gate, handles better on road, more power, 4 corner air suspension.
Cons: no off-road capability - period. eats tires like crazy, options can add-up $$$, blind spots (forward - pillars, side and back - small mirrors), gas pedal lag, GPS sucks

Lexus GX 460
Pros: off-road capable, KDSS, great GPS, sits higher for greater visibility (if not handling)
Cons: Loud at highway speeds (comparatively speaking), less room in the back (third row floor raised), barn door, handling, rear air suspension only.

There can be a LOT more to be said, and you will have proponents on both sides (more on the Lexus since this is a Lexus forum). Lexus trucks are build to last. To be perfectly honest, I think I would have stuck to GX truck, even with the not so great experience I had with the GX 470 (had it for 4 years), except for the horrible experience with the local dealers on Long Island, NY. Not sure how Benz will hold up in the coming years, I guess we shall see.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. My 1.5 cents.
Old 10-21-11, 12:05 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you move or recline the 2nd row in GL-450? Just curious.
Old 10-21-11, 12:12 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought the GL 450 drove like a station wagon, very boring...
Old 10-21-11, 12:37 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have come to like the barn door better then a lift gate. It took a couple months of use but I now prefer it. It is just way easier to use.

Koz
Old 10-21-11, 03:42 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I have come to like the barn door better then a lift gate. It took a couple months of use but I now prefer it. It is just way easier to use.

Koz
Agreed. My wife & I were unsure at first, in fact we looked a Sequoias for quite a while before we finally found the killer deal on our 06 GX (back in 09). The barn door was the biggest negative we could find, personally. I wouldn't hesitate to get a 2nd Gen...the past 2 years have been nothing but amazing in our GX.
Old 10-21-11, 05:14 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

I've come to like the barn door too. Most of time I am the only occupant in the car. So coming around the driver side, I only need to open the barn door half way or even less to retrieve my stuff. Kids also find it easier to open and close than a lift gate. There may be a few occasions where the lift gate may fare better, but mos of the time, it is quite convenient.

Thought the trunk space is reduced, the third row is more roomy than 470. If you move the 2nd row forward a little, then even adults can comfortably sit in the third row. Being able to move the 2nd row is a great feature.
Old 10-21-11, 07:31 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

how fast do you drive the ML?

the old gx may have been noisy, but i can assure you the new gx 460 is very quiet at highway speeds above 80 mph. IT handles quite well on the road imho. No way i would buy a german, they dont last
Old 10-21-11, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to me it comes down to space and maybe the rear gate. i am more of a fan of lift gate if i have a choice. and if we talk about space, the gl wins hands down. you actually have space with the 3rd row up. with the gx 3rd row up? you are done

Originally Posted by Craig B
I thought the GL 450 drove like a station wagon, very boring...
well they are all suv after all, can't really talk about "fun". but between the gl and the gx? i think i will have to say the gl is a bit more fun. it's a bit firmer

Originally Posted by T4Fun
how fast do you drive the ML?

the old gx may have been noisy, but i can assure you the new gx 460 is very quiet at highway speeds above 80 mph. IT handles quite well on the road imho. No way i would buy a german, they dont last
i personally think both drive very quiet, comparable. the gl feels heavier though
Old 10-22-11, 03:53 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The barn door was a negative in my mind at first as I was used to the lift gate of my past 4runners but now I prefer it. I wonder how many people still wish it had a lift gate. Seems like most have come to like it.
Old 10-22-11, 08:18 AM
Koz

If I equip a GL450 with almost the same options that I have in my GX, you're looking at approx $80K. Even though the GL is much bigger outside the actual total cargo area behind the front seats in the GX is bigger (91.9 cu.ft. vs 83.3). This is also interesting, considering the GX is far superior off-road yet it actually handles a little better then the GL (0.73 g vs 0.70 g). The GX sacrifices some performance (half a sec in 1/4 mile) for efficiency (30 hp for approx 3 mpg).

Koz
Old 10-22-11, 09:09 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

How is the reliability on the German cars. I have heard and read about the issues on the German cars often.

I know ever car has problems but hopefully Lexus has fewer problems. The problems with Lexus may not keep my family stranded on the side of the freeway waiting for the tow truck.

Again with 2012 i am not sure of MB has fixed the issues they have found in the earlier models. I prefer to buy a car which is in the market for 3-4 years so the manufactures have got a chance to fix all the issues.

Hence i was looking at 2012 GX and the GL.

On more reading the GL seriously lacks the off road capability. Again I do not go rock climbing but there are times I go into the mountains or some places where i need to think will I get out of this one.

This happened to us last year in Tahoe when we got stuck in the snowstorm and we were in a cabin on a beaten path. I needed serious help in getting out of that and we drive a Pilot for now.

I know the GX can get me out of these situations in a heartbeat, I am not sure on the GL though.

Dinar
Old 10-22-11, 11:43 AM
rxgxmdx
Driver

MT has an old review on the GX vs LR4 vs GL:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/05/1...and-rover-lr4/

You want to do something like this?

Old 10-23-11, 10:32 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a lot to be said for both. I think both are relatively reliable. I think, you can always find a lemon in every batch. GL came out in '06 (as '07), so '12 is already a sixth year for GL (one might say, it's already getting old) - most issues have been addressed.

Overall these two trucks are different. In fact Mercedes compares their GL to Lexus's LX. If this is the comparison they go by, then there is NO comparison (LX wins, period).

Yes, there is more room behind the third row in GL 450 (for small shopping, or umbrella stroller), The third row seats are more comfortable for two adults (not three). The second row does recline, does not move. Entry to third row sucks (same as in GX - if you need third row often, get a minivan). Overall, GX does have more room behind first row, due to rounded interior roof of GL. Don't expect GL to get out of Tahoe after a snow storm, anything more than an inch or two of snow and I think you'll be in trouble (no low gear and central locking diff). I haven't even attempted to take it out in the snow after the last years snow storms here in NY, I've waited after they got the streets cleared. More expensive with similar options than GX premium. Handling is similar, although it feels more secure in GL (on-road ONLY). Acceleration is much better, real world economy - very similar for both. It's quieter - 62.6db at 70mph vs GX's 75.5db at 70mph (don't care about the numbers, it IS much quieter, especially wind noise - due to more aerodynamic shape). I have gotten use to barn door on the prior GX, but I do have to say that I do prefer the POWER lift gate, especially in the rain with hands full of shopping bags.

rxgxmdx - I don't think that it would be advisable to try this in the GL
Old 10-23-11, 01:49 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by gsobol
It's quieter - 62.6db at 70mph vs GX's 75.5db at 70mph (don't care about the numbers, it IS much quieter, especially wind noise - due to more aerodynamic shape).
Where did you get this data?

Koz

Quick Reply: GX Vs GL 450