GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vehicle Moving at Stop Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 01:53 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MWalker
Both my 470 and my new 4Runner do this, must be a Toyota thing...
Doesn't happen on my GX470. Maybe your foot is falling a sleep.
Old 10-15-11, 08:06 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually think there are 2 things going on here. And I do not know anything about cars so I will botch the terminology. The first thing is that the vehicle will not stop without brakes while in drive. It wants to just keep on going. Almost as if the engine was idling too high. when you take your food off the brake it just starts to go and keeps on going (I've driven across my neighborhood to see how long it will go without me pressing the gas and I only stopped due to a red light). My prior 4runner when it comes to a stop will sit there when in drive even with nothing on the brake. It just sits there ready for you to touch the gas.

The second thing is that it takes much more physical force on the brake pedal to engage it. Again, in my 4runner I literally only have to rest my foot on the brake pedal for it to be engaged. Just the weight of my foot does the trick. On the gx you have to physically push down to engage the brake. It's active, not passive and frankly, it's annoying to have to remember to press down.

So the throwing in neutral only solves the problem if you're on a level surface bc it allows it to stop revving forward without the brake. However, when on an incline, even in neutral you still need to jam your foot on the brake to stop it from rolling.

I understand, well I don't actually understand, but have heard there's an explanation for why it wants to keep going, something about being off road blah blah. But why is the brake pedal so unresponsive?