GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Bridgestone vs Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 12:05 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bridgestone vs Michelin

This is what is left of my LR Bridgestone tire.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Bridgestone vs Michelin-bridgestone.jpg  
Old 09-07-11, 04:26 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cap, what happened?? I know they are crap but that looks beyond that... Are you ok? How did the GX handle when it exploded?
Old 09-07-11, 06:07 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

over inflated tire and 100 degree weather?
Old 09-07-11, 07:26 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

given the fact that you posted the tire only, hopefully you didnt blow it out on the highway and have a major accident.

that being said, looks like an overinflated tire that bursted.

glad i switched my tires to michelins.
Old 09-07-11, 10:15 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Bridgestone's suck, I had them on my BMW X5. My GX 460 has Michelin's and always will. Hope you're okay and I hope your GX is okay as well...
Old 09-07-11, 10:30 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm amazed that the wheel doesn't show more damage. As the tire bead remained seated on the rim, that little bit of rubber appears to have cushioned the wheel. However, it should be checked carefully before it is re-tired ... with MICHELIN!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-07-11, 10:34 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio

Cap, what happened?? I know they are crap but that looks beyond that... Are you ok? How did the GX handle when it exploded?
Fabio, in all fairness it could have been any tire. As I switch over to a freeway (405) and as soon as I did that I started to hear a rumble. Never occurred to me that it was a tire. I started to check if any windows were open or if the moon roof was partly opened or if the roadway was rough.

I kept concentrating on the road surface, switching to other lanes to see if it made any difference. There was no difference. The truck was tracking perfectly. No sway no nothing. Just the sound of a rumble. When the sound got louder, I decided to pull over to the right as I was in the fastest lane. At that location their are about 6 lanes.

As I checked my rear view mirror, I noticed a cloud of smoke behind me. The traffic behind me slowed down to let me move over. As I was almost completely off the slow lane unto the shoulder the truck suddenly halted, stopped dead in it's tracks. I didn't know what in the hell had happened. I put the truck in park, the pressed on the accelerator and to me surprise the engine was still running. So I shifted to low, and was able to move completely off the highway.

I give all the credit to the truck's Computer System that was controlling everything that was going on.

~ Cap
Old 09-07-11, 11:33 AM
Craig B

Glad to hear you're safe!
Old 09-07-11, 11:46 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A happy ending to a scary ride! It gives us even more confidence in the vehicle we purchased.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-07-11, 01:53 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question, what is the stock tire for GX460 base and premiums? Michelins?
Old 09-07-11, 04:26 PM
Craig B

In 2010, they either came with Michelins or Bridgestones. It's the luck of the draw. Not sure what they're shipped with for 2011... I made Michelins part of my deal, but mine came with Michelins.
Old 09-08-11, 04:29 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you and the GX are safe! Sounds like you were very lucky the GX handled so well. I think I will be checking my tires this evening (I have Michelins on my GX) just to make sure everything is ok with them.
Old 09-08-11, 08:03 AM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a story! My car came with Michelins, so that is a comfort.

Just how did the truck's computer system help you? Did any warning lights come on ? Or did it reduce the speed automatically?
Old 09-08-11, 08:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Any tire can blow out. I've seen just as many Michelin tires blow the same way. It has been getting quite hot in the Socal region. Overinflated tire and too much heat can blow tires easily.

Unfortunately, there has not been a day that goes by on the 405 freeway where I see someone on the side of the road changing out their blown tires.
Old 09-08-11, 04:10 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by GSteg
Any tire can blow out. I've seen just as many Michelin tires blow the same way. It has been getting quite hot in the Socal region. Overinflated tire and too much heat can blow tires easily.

Unfortunately, there has not been a day that goes by on the 405 freeway where I see someone on the side of the road changing out their blown tires.
It's been hot here as well, but I've been driiving on Michelin's a long time and never had a problem. I have had problems with Bridgestone tires. On one of my LS's, I almost slid off the road in the rain and they had plenty of tread. They were Turanza;s and were one of the worst tires I've ever purchased from Tire Rack. I also had Bridgestone tires on my 2009 BMW X5 and in 2" of snow, I was going slow, couldn't make a turn. Bridgestone tires just suck in my opinion. Heat or no heat, they suck!

Quick Reply: Bridgestone vs Michelin