GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Chrome Door Molding Set - Group Buy for Base Models

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 06:01 PM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Door Molding Set - Group Buy for Base Models

Who's interested because I sure am. I don't know if we can get a discount greater than the one we already get with http://lexus.sewellparts.com/ but i guess it's worth a try.

In addition to the Chrome Door Molding Set, I would also like to get:

Aluminum Valve Stem Caps (to replace my missing one)

Cell Cup holder

Neoprene Key Cover
Old 08-19-11, 06:49 AM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I messaged a dealer about this. They said they don't carry it but an aftermarket company can supply the parts and install them for $395. I will find out more.
Old 08-19-11, 09:54 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by rxgxmdx
I messaged a dealer about this. They said they don't carry it but an aftermarket company can supply the parts and install them for $395. I will find out more.
What do you mean the dealer doesn't carry it? You can always order factory moldings from Sewell here with your ClubLexus discount (although still more expensive than you quoted):

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2011/2420.html

Also, in the modification sticky thread there are pics with the exact measurements of where the factory moldings are placed and it seems you could use that to place these on your base model pretty easily.
Old 08-19-11, 12:56 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Originally Posted by patgilm
What do you mean the dealer doesn't carry it?
I am aware of the Sewell site. The dealer I contacted said "Lexus does not offer the moldings as an available accessory for the GX460 owners" so they don't stock them or install them in house.

He could be right. Maybe Lexus does not make it a "dealer" option. But the parts must still be available somewhere, say, for body shop kind of work.

The $395 he quoted me includes both labor and the aftermarket parts (not OEM). I have requested some pictures.

Before anyone asks -- if the aftermarket parts are not identical to the Lexus parts, I won't be interested.
Old 08-20-11, 07:53 AM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

From my understanding, the Premium Model Doors come equipped with slots and holes that support the chrome moulds. Unfortunately the Base Model Doors do not have these slots and holes so many DIYers are just applying double sided tape which i'm not a fan of. Dealer quoted me astronomical prices for the chrome mould set. Dealer does not perform this type of install - but many repair and collision shops would. The $395 that was quoted was probably for the labour and the parts needed to install the moulds. If someone quoted me that price here in my area, I'd jump all over it!
Old 08-20-11, 08:59 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Originally Posted by aqua
Unfortunately the Base Model Doors do not have these slots and holes so many DIYers are just applying double sided tape which i'm not a fan of. Dealer quoted me astronomical prices for the chrome mould set. Dealer does not perform this type of install - but many repair and collision shops would. The $395 that was quoted was probably for the labour and the parts needed to install the moulds. If someone quoted me that price here in my area, I'd jump all over it!
So how do you plan to install the moldings? Would you have holes drilled in the doors? For me I'd rather go with the double sided tape. If they become loose, I guess you can re-apply the tapes. With the holes if the installer makes a slight mis-calculation, the damage is irreversible.

I suspect the $395 quoted package is not Lexus OEM. I will post the pics when I receive them from the dealer.

Here is another idea: I am going to ask the dealer if I can trade in my 2011 for a similarly equipped 2012 model. I just bought my car, still using the deal-provided first tank of gas . If the extra cash is small, then I will get my moldings on a new model year.
Old 08-22-11, 01:21 PM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

I have no idea on what to do, but I see your point and I'd probably do the same. Use two-sided tape - maybe some glue (from what I heard from dealer)

Still contemplating on ordering the parts from sewell but i just contacted my local dealer and they will definitely not perform this service and advises against it. (meh)

I'd really like the added mouldings. I'm interested as to what the extra cash we'd have to dish out is. I'm guessing fairly substantial as the truck is year old.

Question is, is it really worth it?

probably not.
Old 08-22-11, 02:42 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Originally Posted by aqua
... i just contacted my local dealer and they will definitely not perform this service and advises against it. (meh)

Question is, is it really worth it?
Did your dealer tell you the reasons?

That is a good question. If you enjoy it, yes it is worth it. You know, some people will tell you a GX is not worth it .
Old 08-22-11, 09:33 PM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

The Main reasons were that there are holes in the moulds that allow it to easily clip on the doors of the premium model doors and because the dealer doesn't perform that job, there could easily be a mistake in terms of fitment. I would hate to have the moulds look uneven, bent or asymmetrical. Even if they were on perfect as a few others have shown in terms of diagrams, i would also hate to have a rattling noise coming from my doors. *sigh* I am leaning on keeping my $60 grand doors not look like $70 grand doors.

I will however put the rock guard on tomorrow.
Dealer quoted me $599. Includes rock guard, and labour.

Last edited by aqua; 08-23-11 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 11:19 AM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Did you put on the rock guards? What do they look like?
Old 08-25-11, 07:17 PM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

It's a thin, clear polyurethane film that covers half a foot of the front part of the trunk and the front part of the side panels. Looks the same until you go up real close and see that there is something there. It protects the paint from stones and other debris that may chip it.
Old 08-26-11, 08:16 AM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Not sure I would spend money on this. I guess it depends on how long you plan to keep your car.
Old 08-26-11, 02:43 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Front part of trunk or hood? I had an independent install 3M film on the hood, 6 inches of roof above windshield, A pillars, front of fenders, mirrors, and rear in front/behind wheels. It was a kit that was precut for the GX 460 Premium. About $600.
Old 08-26-11, 10:09 PM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

That's a much better deal.
Old 08-27-11, 07:08 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgot to add the whole front bumper was also wrapped. I called 3 installers in my area and the price was roughly the same for the same work. Dealer was only going to do the hood for the same price.

Quick Reply: Chrome Door Molding Set - Group Buy for Base Models