GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Finally Ordering a 2012 GX460

Old 07-28-11, 08:00 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Finally Ordering a 2012 GX460

So after making numerous calls to different dealerships I finally found one that is going to order a 2012 GX460 Premium for a decent price. Since I am going to get the price lower than I was expecting, I am now considering adding on some options that aren't typical with these trucks. Are there any options that current owners wish they had that they didn't get? I am considering adding on the pre collision system/radar cruise control package. Does anyone have this option and if so, do you think it is worth it?
Old 07-28-11, 10:16 AM
mgrant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What dealership did you order from? We are trying to decide between ordering the 2011 or the 2012, depending on what kind of deal we can get. Unfortunately, we live in a state with limited Lexus dealerships and are looking to purchase out of state to get the best price.
Old 07-28-11, 10:47 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrant
What dealership did you order from? We are trying to decide between ordering the 2011 or the 2012, depending on what kind of deal we can get. Unfortunately, we live in a state with limited Lexus dealerships and are looking to purchase out of state to get the best price.
I go off road and special ordered mine to get the "Wide-View Monitoring System" and Crawl Control. When you are on the trail it is really nice to be able to see all around the vehicle.

If you special order now you will probably get a 2012. It takes almost 4 months.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 07-28-11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 11:41 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, VA. The salesman I am dealing with is Thai.
Old 07-28-11, 05:28 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, how much did you get over invoice?
Old 07-28-11, 06:12 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If I had to do it over I would order more of the safety "bells and whistles" such as the pre-collision/radar cruise control, the lane departure warnings and the wide-view monitoring system. The GX460 rides so smoothly and quietly that it is easy to drive faster than surrounding traffic ... before you know what is happening you're on someone's rear bumper, standing on your brakes!

The GX is neither slender nor agile ... anything that helps "keep it between the lines" and off the shoulders and the neighbor's flowers would be an advantage. In particular, threading a parking lot, descending the 'helix' at a parking garage and backing into any parking space would benefit from more visibility.

Whether any of these are available on the base unit is an open question, but if you have decided to order a premium unit you should be able to custom order what you want. Go for it ... the worse that could happen is they will make you "an offer you can't refuse" to settle for less than you ordered, but what they have in stock ... at a good price!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-28-11, 06:25 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Good to know SaniDel, I may consider the PCS/Radar Cruise. I went to the dealership to place my order today but since Lexus hasn't come out with 2012 pricing yet, I can't technically order it. I just gave them my order and credit card and we just agreed to how much I am paying over invoice regardless of what options I am getting. They are estimating a 1.8% increase in pricing but nobody knows until they release pricing.
Old 07-28-11, 09:20 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also still curious to know what cosmetically and issues if any they will fix in the 2012
Old 07-29-11, 05:10 AM
Koz

You can sign a contract (and should). The contract will indicate exactly how much over invoice (regardless of price increases). This locks them into a legal commitment. Without a written contract God knows what can happen. Make sure you carefully look at the contract for add-ons (glass etching, sealants, etc.). I wasted two days at a Stealer and then found over $1K worth of add-ons that I did not want. They lost the sale because they refused to take them off the contract. I ended up getting a special order Premium for invoice at a different Stealer. When I was to take delivery they tried to wack me with an $800 tow hitch install charge. I told them I would pay for the install and I would see them in small claims court for that cost and they would not like the survey feedback I would write. Needless to say (after a half hour of being pissed off), they dropped the install charge. I still made a comment on the survey about how they tried their last minute attempt to hold the vehicle hostage (which I waited 4 months for) to squeeze more money out of a deal. If it weren't for the signed contract I'm sure they would have not dropped the charge.

No matter how well you get along (or know) the sales people, they may try to squeeze you on the day of delivery, knowing you so close to getting your new vehicle.

GET A SIGNED CONTRACT!

Koz
Old 07-29-11, 06:00 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I'm not too worried about the pricing, they will honor it. I told them exactly what I wanted on my special order because of the same issues you had with certain items I didn't really need on a 2011 they may be getting in.

Speaking of options, anyone have a comment on remote start? Is this something people really like/use?
Old 07-29-11, 06:46 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by patgilm
I'm not too worried about the pricing, they will honor it. I told them exactly what I wanted on my special order because of the same issues you had with certain items I didn't really need on a 2011 they may be getting in.

Speaking of options, anyone have a comment on remote start? Is this something people really like/use?
Without a contract I don't see any Stealer special ordering a vehicle for you. They will be looking for one that has what you want (or close) that is on its way to another Stealer.

Good Luck!

Koz
Old 07-29-11, 04:51 PM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm

I wouldn't order the remote start. When you open the door, the engine shuts off. For me, that would be no.
Old 07-29-11, 04:58 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I wouldn't order the remote start. When you open the door, the engine shuts off. For me, that would be no.
What! I agree with you ... what good is that? However, how could remote start work with the GX without our electronic keys in the vehicle? Further, if we left our remote keys in the vehicle we couldn't lock it!

I could see the value of remote starting a locked vehicle to give the A/C a head start, but it should stay locked until the legitimate owner ... the one with the electronic key on their person approached the vehicle, unlocked the door and then drove it.

However, GM advertises their remote starting of presumably locked vehicles using the electronic key. So perhaps another button on our electronic keys?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-29-11, 09:26 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz
Without a contract I don't see any Stealer special ordering a vehicle for you. They will be looking for one that has what you want (or close) that is on its way to another Stealer.

Good Luck!

Koz
If they have the car I want I dont have a problem with not getting a special order because I just want the car asap. However if I decide to get pcs/radar I will have no choice but to special order.

Last edited by patgilm; 07-29-11 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 10:46 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
What! I agree with you ... what good is that? However, how could remote start work with the GX without our electronic keys in the vehicle? Further, if we left our remote keys in the vehicle we couldn't lock it!

I could see the value of remote starting a locked vehicle to give the A/C a head start, but it should stay locked until the legitimate owner ... the one with the electronic key on their person approached the vehicle, unlocked the door and then drove it.

However, GM advertises their remote starting of presumably locked vehicles using the electronic key. So perhaps another button on our electronic keys?
Regards,

SaniDel
You hold down a button on your remote to start the vehicle. I would guess the car would stay locked, but once you open the door, the engine shuts off. That's what my salesman told me, so I didn't have it installed at the port. Dealers can also add this option at the dealership. The port charge for this option was 450.00

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally Ordering a 2012 GX460