GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Couple of questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 04:58 AM
genedwes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions..

New to the forum. Currently drive 2008 X5. Thinking about going to the GX!

What changes if any on the 2012 are rumored. Can't find any news when searching!

Have seen on this forum some owners say they do not like the transmission downshifting on a grade when driving on the interstate. Hope I have listed this right as it is from memory. I have had vehicles in the past do this and I don't find this as a plus. I am not talking about driving in the mountains, just normal driving.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-04-11, 07:56 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Gene, I got rid of my 2009 X5 twin turbo diesel for the GX 460 premium. I haven't heard about the changes for 2012. They had minor changes for 2011. My GX 460 does downshift when going up hills when the cruise control is on. My X5 didn't do that, but was the biggest POS I think I've ever owned. It was in the shop over ten times in one year. My GX has been pretty much trouble free.

Good luck with your decision...
Old 07-04-11, 08:44 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by genedwes
New to the forum. Currently drive 2008 X5. Thinking about going to the GX!

What changes if any on the 2012 are rumored. Can't find any news when searching!

Have seen on this forum some owners say they do not like the transmission downshifting on a grade when driving on the interstate. Hope I have listed this right as it is from memory. I have had vehicles in the past do this and I don't find this as a plus. I am not talking about driving in the mountains, just normal driving.

Thanks for your help.
Make sure you check if you feel vibrations in steering wheel at highway speeds (65+ MPH). I am no longer the GX owner becuase of that. The rest of the vehicle was great.
Old 07-04-11, 10:47 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2011 Premium (about 8 months now) and so far zero problems (well, besides little rust developing under the vehicle) Just drove it from NY to PA and back and it was a great drive.
Old 07-04-11, 12:24 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded my 2007 X5 for a GX 460 Premium. No problems so far. My X5 had problems from the day it was delivered.
Old 07-04-11, 12:46 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by genedwes
<SNIP>
<SNIP>
You are correct about the GX 460 downshifting and we have discussed this at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ownshifts.html

Bottom line ... the GX 460 can be left in 'Drive' and it will "shift for itself" but you can also force downshifts by tapping the brake pedal ... if conditions are right. In general, that means your foot is off the gas, the vehicle speed is high enough and the vehicle is accelerating, i.e., it is on a downhill run. Presumably, on a steep enough and long enough downhill you can force sequential downshifts, but the most we have gotten is two ... there aren't any good hills in Delaware!

My wife prefers 'Drive' but I prefer 'Sport'. I prefer to force downshifts by pulling back on the shift lever rather than tapping the brake. Also, pulling back on the shift lever always forces a downshift ... unless the engine would exceed redline. There's a practical limit in convenience, smoothness and noise, not to mention wear and tear on the drive train ... at some point it is better and safer to use the brakes!

Needless to say, as any automatic transmission vehicle, downshifts also occur when required due to acceleration, going up hills, etc. However, the GX 460 tries very hard to get into the highest gear, which is how it achieves such impressive highway mileage:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-mileage.html

Although we haven't driven any further west than Michigan and certainly not on the mountainous Interstates of the West, I suspect one could readily drive the GX 460 on any Interstate in 'Drive' although with heavy use of the brakes. It is on secondary roads that are steeper and curvier than the Interstates that driving becomes a problem, but that's where the 'Sport' mode is useful.
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 07-04-11 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Improve readability