GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking at a 2011 GX460

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 07:33 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Looking at a 2011 GX460

I currently have a 2008 GX470 that is approaching the end of the warranty (almost 4 years old and 45k miles right now) and I am considering buying a new 2011 GX460 but wanted some opinions. I originally wanted the premium but I was told that they have slowed/stopped production on the premium and I wouldn't be able to get the color combo I would like at this time unless I got the base model. Here are my questions:

1. I know some of the differences with the premium model with the biggest being the air suspension and I think crawl control but what are the minor differences? I see the side molding is one but are there any other minor differences?

2. Is the air suspension worth it?

3. Considering that it is tough to get a GX right now, they aren't really discounting them too much. Since the discounting wouldn't be significant, would you wait until the 2012's come out to buy one and has anyone heard rumors of any minor changes (i.e. more power outlets, maybe get rid of the ugly lights on the bumper, etc.)?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-11, 08:37 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I currently have a 2008 GX470 that is approaching the end of the warranty (almost 4 years old and 45k miles right now) and I am considering buying a new 2011 GX460 but wanted some opinions. I originally wanted the premium but I was told that they have slowed/stopped production on the premium and I wouldn't be able to get the color combo I would like at this time unless I got the base model. Here are my questions:

1. I know some of the differences with the premium model with the biggest being the air suspension and I think crawl control but what are the minor differences? I see the side molding is one but are there any other minor differences?

2. Is the air suspension worth it?

3. Considering that it is tough to get a GX right now, they aren't really discounting them too much. Since the discounting wouldn't be significant, would you wait until the 2012's come out to buy one and has anyone heard rumors of any minor changes (i.e. more power outlets, maybe get rid of the ugly lights on the bumper, etc.)?

Thanks.
Premium
3 zone climate control
power folding mirrors
semi-aniline leather
wood/leather shift **** w/heated steering wheel
heated second row seats
AFS-HID headlights
headlight washers
tonneau cover
door moldings
AVS + rear airsprings

crawl control is optional on both models

If you are towing the AVS + rear air is a big help.

Koz
Old 07-01-11, 08:58 AM
Chow
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a premium and it is the smoothest ride ever. The air suspension is nothing that special. I used it to lower the truck so that my grandparents could get in easier but I hardly notice the drop.

The heated steering wheel and second row seats is awesome in MN winters!

HID headlights are always a plus.

The headlight washers seem useless to me. tried them when we first got it, but after that forgot we even have them.

I definitely recommend the ML sound system. It is amazing. Had the movie kickass playing for the people in the back and I could hear the bullets zipping around the entire truck. Very cool!

If you are going to be doing a lot of towing then get the premium. If you can wait a few more month you will probably be able to get a great deal on a 2011 when the 2012s arrive.
Old 07-01-11, 09:11 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. The base model I am looking at has the convenience package which includes the power folding mirrors and park assist, has HID adaptive lights, comfort plus which includes semi-analine, wood steering wheel/shift ****, heated rear seats/three zone climate control, as well as ML and rear seat entertainment. It seems like it has all the features that the premium package has except the suspension, molding (I can get that for $600) and headlight washers. I did a search on here and there were posts that said there were more chrome accents but it looks like the base has the same chrome accents. Is there anything truth to the chrome accents and is there anything else I am missing?
Old 07-01-11, 10:23 AM
Koz

Yes, on the Premium the chrome trim on the side windows goes all the way around the rear window.

Beware - The side molding is expensive (so is the tonneau cover).

Koz
Old 07-01-11, 01:09 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Thanks Koz. I did see the side molding is close to $600 with the club discount but it looks so much better with it to me so it is a must have. Most people wouldn't even notice it. If I am going to pay close to retail I may as well wait until October when the 2012's start rolling in.
Old 07-01-11, 06:18 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Koz. I did see the side molding is close to $600 with the club discount but it looks so much better with it to me so it is a must have. Most people wouldn't even notice it. If I am going to pay close to retail I may as well wait until October when the 2012's start rolling in.
I'm waiting for a 2012 also and will probably get the Premium. I'm waiting for Toyota to go full production in September (earthquake issues still), then there will be more selection for the 2012. Hopefully, not glowing parts
Old 07-02-11, 01:13 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. The base model I am looking at has the convenience package which includes the power folding mirrors and park assist, has HID adaptive lights, comfort plus which includes semi-analine, wood steering wheel/shift ****, heated rear seats/three zone climate control, as well as ML and rear seat entertainment. It seems like it has all the features that the premium package has except the suspension, molding (I can get that for $600) and headlight washers. I did a search on here and there were posts that said there were more chrome accents but it looks like the base has the same chrome accents. Is there anything truth to the chrome accents and is there anything else I am missing?
When we considered an early-production 2010 GX 460 and all possible combinations of options it seemed that the ONLY absolute difference between the base and the premium was the air suspension ... everything else could be "added on" although it would be a time-consuming custom order. That may no longer be the case, but it made sense as the air suspension has to be done early in the assembly process before the frame is joined to the body.

So, you may be able to get everything you want ... other than the air suspension ... in a base model, but how long will it take? Custom orders are notoriously slow and especially now that production is hampered. You may consider custom ordering exactly what you want now, be prepared to wait several months and perhaps 'settle' for a 2012 that is "close enough".
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I defer to those who purchased the premium version as we decided early on that we didn't need air suspension as we have no need for towing or transporting heavy loads ... other than us! ;-)
Old 07-02-11, 07:54 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I'm not too worried about the air suspension either and it seems like with the ML and Rear Entertainment package most of the other premium features come with it so hopefully I won't have to special order.
Old 07-03-11, 01:19 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd wait for a 2012 Premium if I were you...

Good luck!
Old 07-03-11, 03:35 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not too worried about the air suspension either and it seems like with the ML and Rear Entertainment package most of the other premium features come with it so hopefully I won't have to special order.

personally, I like to air suspension because my car doesn't looked all "jacked-up"..I've seen a few regular 460's on the road and for some reason, they all looked "jacked-up" and taller than they should be. Still wonder why Lexus made them so tall.
Old 07-03-11, 05:42 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

to me the premy rides better in back. yes its lower also by about an 1inch.
Old 07-05-11, 11:17 AM
Koz

The Premium also has the AVS shocks.

Koz
Old 07-05-11, 12:06 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

You premium guys are killing me. Now I need the premium just because of the difference in looks. I thought it was the side moldings that made the difference to me but maybe it was the moldings and the fact that the back didn't looked "jacked up" that made the difference.

T4, the color combo you have is the exact one I am looking for but with rear entertainment. Hopefully in the next few months I'll have one too.
Old 07-05-11, 12:20 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The sepia (brown) interior is beautiful ... and practical. We have read complaints from those who have the ecru interior that their jeans transfer blue to the seat cushions. The only complaint we have about sepia is the color match of the mats, the panels and the upholstery ... different shades of brown and the mats often look silvery.
Regards,

SaniDel

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2011 GX460