GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Door Moldings

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 10:02 AM
zaccor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Door Moldings

A couple weeks ago I ordered the moldings for my base GX. I got them from Sewell Lexus of Dallas like other people on this forum have done. I've talked to one guy who put them on himself but I'm a little apprehensive about just using the tape.

Today I went to the Lexus dealership near me (not where I bought the GX), they quoted me $105 to put them on, but when they realized they were from the factory and there were clips on the moldings that would be attached to the car, they said they couldn't do it. They didn't want to cut off the clips either.

I'd like to know if someone has had the moldings professionally installed at a Lexus dealership. My next step was to try a body shop but I thought I would consult here first to see if anyone had a similar experience. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-15-10, 10:41 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by zaccor
A couple weeks ago I ordered the moldings for my base GX. I got them from Sewell Lexus of Dallas like other people on this forum have done. I've talked to one guy who put them on himself but I'm a little apprehensive about just using the tape.

Today I went to the Lexus dealership near me (not where I bought the GX), they quoted me $105 to put them on, but when they realized they were from the factory and there were clips on the moldings that would be attached to the car, they said they couldn't do it. They didn't want to cut off the clips either.

I'd like to know if someone has had the moldings professionally installed at a Lexus dealership. My next step was to try a body shop but I thought I would consult here first to see if anyone had a similar experience. Thanks for the help!
A dealer could do it, but they wouldn't do it at the dealer, but would use one of the bodyshops. They don't have an ability to do body work which is requered (drilling multiple holes in each door) and for that you need a matrix which they may not have either. My dealer offer to do it, but would use their body shop.

To make sure I am not getting ripped off by the dealer I went to a body shop where I had my cars repaired in the past for a quote and they could do without any problems, but strongly recommended install without drilling holes as beside couple (size of dime) plastic retainers, the rest are just guiding clips and actually do not do any holding. most side moldings on cars are held only by double sided tape and this one have plenty of it to do the job.

Since I didn't want to pay someone to just cut the clips for me and put it on, I did it myself. The whole install takes 15 minutes after you cut off all clips. To make sure I have the right location (front and rear do not have the same distance from the bottom of the door) I have stopped by a local lexus dealer to measure the distance in each corner (bottom of side molding) to bottom of the door. Since the door is angled and I want to make sure the distance is perfect, I have used paper technique by holding sheet of paper against the door and marking a point where the door ends at the bottom.

When you get home, just measure the distance and mark it with a masking tape. With two points, you have a perfect reference and all you have to do is stick it on. Of course clean the surface first. I have used alcohol swaps to remove any dirt or grease. To make sure you align perfect against reference masking tape, I have asked my wife to hold one side, so the sticking I can start on one side and keep moving outward. The install was much easier then I thought.

Last edited by Luke27617; 07-15-10 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-15-10, 12:52 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
A dealer could do it, but they wouldn't do it at the dealer, but would use one of the bodyshops. They don't have an ability to do body work which is requered (drilling multiple holes in each door) and for that you need a matrix which they may not have either. My dealer offer to do it, but would use their body shop.

To make sure I am not getting ripped off by the dealer I went to a body shop where I had my cars repaired in the past for a quote and they could do without any problems, but strongly recommended install without drilling holes as beside couple (size of dime) plastic retainers, the rest are just guiding clips and actually do not do any holding. most side moldings on cars are held only by double sided tape and this one have plenty of it to do the job.

Since I didn't want to pay someone to just cut the clips for me and put it on, I did it myself. The whole install takes 15 minutes after you cut off all clips. To make sure I have the right location (front and rear do not have the same distance from the bottom of the door) I have stopped by a local lexus dealer to measure the distance in each corner (bottom of side molding) to bottom of the door. Since the door is angled and I want to make sure the distance is perfect, I have used paper technique by holding sheet of paper against the door and marking a point where the door ends at the bottom.

When you get home, just measure the distance and mark it with a masking tape. With two points, you have a perfect reference and all you have to do is stick it on. Of course clean the surface first. I have used alcohol swaps to remove any dirt or grease. To make sure you align perfect against reference masking tape, I have asked my wife to hold one side, so the sticking I can start on one side and keep moving outward. The install was much easier then I thought.
That doesn't sound too bad. However, for me it was much easier to use the old check book tool to get a perfect fit on the moldings. I am always in awe of competent do-it-yourselfers.
Old 07-15-10, 02:04 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Zac,

To follow up on our e-mail exchange and to share with all who may want to install side moldings as well, here are the measurements for the install of side moldings. I recommend transferring the measurements to a paper since doors angle and it would be difficult to find a measuring tape which hugs contours of the doors.

To make sure measurement from the bottom is correct the outward measurements were done at 8.5 inches from edge of side moldings. Inward were done almost at door divider line.

I hope this helps to anyone who would like to install themselves. Apologize for my limited artistic abilities.
Attached Thumbnails Door Moldings-side.jpg  

Last edited by Luke27617; 07-15-10 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-20-11, 10:54 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Moldings

Does anybody use door moldings and if you do, can you post some pictures?
Old 06-21-11, 05:44 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2011/2420.html

Koz
Old 06-21-11, 06:47 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

800 bucks? holy crap
Old 06-21-11, 06:07 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
800 bucks? holy crap
The Club Lexus price is $589.22.
Old 08-11-11, 02:00 AM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by antonio98
The Club Lexus price is $589.22.
I would like to order the Door Moldings / Side Moldings. Been looking everywhere for The Club Lexus price of $589.22 and can't find it.
Old 08-11-11, 07:11 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you go to Sewell's site using the CL link you should get the discount when you put it in the cart and go to finalize the purchase.

Koz
Old 08-22-11, 10:09 PM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your diagram Luke27617. So this procedure took less than 20 min? Fantastic! How are the molds holding up? It's been over a year now - any retaping?
Old 08-23-11, 08:55 AM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Luke27617 sold his GX. :-)

I'd love to see a picture of custom-installed moldings. Anyone cares to share??
Old 08-23-11, 07:50 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

this former owner or dealer installed the side moldings. look carefully, this is not a premium...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...item3a6993043a
Old 08-23-11, 08:06 PM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

Default looking carefully

good job on the mould install...where and how do i differentiate b/w base and premium from this pic?
Old 08-24-11, 06:19 AM
jikamil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aqua
good job on the mould install...where and how do i differentiate b/w base and premium from this pic?
This picture gives the most obvious clue (lack of adjustable air suspension):

http://photos.ecarlist.com/R5/Sq/71/.../oa/Rg_800.jpg

Quick Reply: Door Moldings