GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 05:04 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb seat cover?

So my ecru seats are getting trashed. I wear jeans all the time and while the leather cleaner gets most of it off, they're slowly turning blue. And the towel I now sit on is pretty ghetto. Anyone know of good, decent looking seat covers? Thoughts appreciated.
Old 08-24-10, 05:14 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If your seat has side air bags you would want to be careful using seat covers.

Koz
Old 08-25-10, 05:26 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
If your seat has side air bags you would want to be careful using seat covers.

Koz
Thanks. I really just need the part I sit on to be covered. I emailed my parts guy at Sewell and he said they have a couple after market options - as you mentioned, they only cover part of the back so as to not interfere with airbags.
Old 08-26-10, 08:08 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

also if you wrap the seats, the heat/cool function may not work.
Old 08-27-10, 05:23 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX
I wear jeans all the time ...
I don't intend this to turn into a discussion of your wardrobe, but there are jeans ... and then there are jeans. Anything you do to your GX to prevent this problem will detract from its utility and possibly your comfort, not to mention your safety. So, is there anything about your jeans that could be making the problem worse?

For example, pre-washed or acid-washed jeans may be less prone to color transfer. Perhaps a thorough washing may remove enough excess dye to prevent this? If not, maybe upgrading to color-safe fabrics in newer jeans?

Ecru leather is a popular choice, especially in warm climates. We had it in almost every Lexus we owned ... indeed, our GX is our only Lexus without ecru. We noticed a slight problem with color transfer in some of our other 'Lexi', but not enough to do anything about it. Unless we learn that the perforated ecru leather used for the GX 460 has a specific problem with color transfer, I suggest that the solution to your problem ... is in your closet. ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. We bought a LS 430 when they were introduced in 2002 (?). It was spec'd for the Florida market ... summer tires, crystal white exterior and perforated leather interior with seat air conditioners. The leather was also called ecru, but it was essentially white ... a better name may have been 'parchment'! We owned the LS for 30 months and didn't notice a problem with color transfer.
Old 08-29-10, 03:40 AM
wannaGX
Driver

They're basic levi's. I hope your suggestion of me changing to acid wash for the sake of my car is a joke. I'm going to see what the aftermarket covers look like bc the towel I now sport is not a good long term solution.

What is really sad is I now drive my 4runner on the weekends and at night bc I'm too worried about messing up my GX inside and out. I sometimes wonder what's the point. I only drive it to and from work and when I have to go out to work functions. What's funny is I got the gx in part so I wouldn't be the only non-mercedes, porche, range rover and lexus in the work lot and now they're starting to up grade from them. I now park next to 2 aston martins. Guess I'll always have the (comparative) hooptie.
The following users liked this post:
wolfeman (11-17-22)
Old 05-27-11, 07:46 AM
stainless1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat covers?

I am a new member here and just recently purchased a 2011 GX for my wife, which she loves. It has an Ecru interior and she is concerned about the seats becoming discolored so we are looking for seat covers but having a hard time finding any. I would like someting that is fitted instead of a universal cover, in a color similar to the original seats? I checked leatherseats.com but they don't have anything for a GX. Anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks
Old 05-27-11, 08:36 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Just remember there are air bags that are built in the seats and they can not be obstructed.

Koz
Old 05-27-11, 11:03 AM
sparsons79
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's GX has the ECRU interior and I just make sure to use leather cleaner/conditioner (I really like Mequiars Cleaner/Conditioner Gel) every few weeks and have done this since new. It still looks great and I'm not a fan of seat covers.
Old 05-30-11, 04:34 AM
wannaGX
Driver

I went through this when I first bought mine. I checked everywhere, lexus, swell, on line, even consulted with the company that does the aftermarket seats for sewell and I still have my ghetto towel down when I wear jeans. My seats are a permanent lovely shade of light blue. The custom guy said when I get too disgusted he can replace the panel of the seat that shows the worst wear.

Has anyone found anything that gets the blue die out? The $20 a bottle stuff they sold me at the dealer does nothing.
Old 05-30-11, 04:57 AM
sparsons79
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks! My salesman told me when I get home to put leather cleaner/ conditioner on and keep it in at all times. My wife wears jeans all the time and we have no problems. Sorry to hear about yours.

Originally Posted by wannaGX
I went through this when I first bought mine. I checked everywhere, lexus, swell, on line, even consulted with the company that does the aftermarket seats for sewell and I still have my ghetto towel down when I wear jeans. My seats are a permanent lovely shade of light blue. The custom guy said when I get too disgusted he can replace the panel of the seat that shows the worst wear.

Has anyone found anything that gets the blue die out? The $20 a bottle stuff they sold me at the dealer does nothing.
Old 06-01-11, 04:01 PM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Like another member mentioned, the side airbags built into the seats are the main reason no supplier has made seat covers for the GX, liability issues. More and more cars now have the airbag built into the seat, I actually prefer it to be on the door instead. Our 04 Mercedes C320 had it on the door and our '11 E350 and GX460 both have it on the seat.

My wife also wears dark blue dyed jeans and the color rubs off but we have the black interior so it is not noticeable until I wipe down the seat with a towel.
Old 06-01-11, 07:55 PM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your only concern is discoloration, I'm assuming the kind from UV rays, tint your windows and ask about UV protection for your windshield.
Old 10-28-15, 09:19 PM
bonginator
Driver School Candidate

Default Quality Source for sheepskin or neoprene seat covers?

I want to cover the seats in my new GX 460 - we frequently do sports where we sit in the car with wet pants. Can you provide some recommendations on sources that make nice quality sheepskin or neoprene seat covers for the 2015/16 GX 460?

Thx.
Old 10-29-15, 07:11 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default Quality sheepskin or neoprene seat covers

Most people go to the GX for the Quality Interior. If you want to cover all that up why get a GX. Get a Chevy/Ford vehicle and get the vinyl seats. A base model GX will get your vinyl seats, but $50,000 is a lot of money to put into a vehicle to do what you are talking about.

Quick Reply: Seat covers