GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 07:25 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
if they overtorqued the wheel, ive read that can warp rotors, but honestly, it sounds like bad tire or balance job.
try putting spare tire on and leave new tire off and see what happens.
My dealer over torqued my lug nuts on my 2010 with 7K and warped my rotors. They turned them and then I asked for new rotors. They had new rotors installed, but I had to make another 220 mile round trip to have it done.
Old 03-13-14, 08:10 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having owned cars for the best part of 40 years, one thing that will bring you endless trouble is to always have things done on a car. Get down and dirty and have a look at simple things like: did the guy at the tyre shop tightened your wheel nuts properly? Are the rotors correctly skimmed? A worn disc lathe or a poorly trained lathe operator can ruin a disc. Did they replace the pads correctly? I've seen pad installations by 'reputable
dealers etc., totally messed up and even brake seizures as a result of the force everything approach. Bottomline: If you're not inclined to do the job yourself, at least check as far as possible after taking delivery of your car from a workshop.
Old 03-13-14, 08:11 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are absolutely right, there are many variables involved when someone else works on your vehicle and a lot can go wrong, so the best thing is to thoroughly check to make sure the job was done right. Thinking about how they installed the new tire, they did it like in 15 minutes so I am sure the balancing wasn't done properly. Anyhow, I'll bring the truck either to the dealer or a local Firestone Service Center to do all 4 wheels road force balance. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-13-14, 08:17 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
My dealer over torqued my lug nuts on my 2010 with 7K and warped my rotors. They turned them and then I asked for new rotors. They had new rotors installed, but I had to make another 220 mile round trip to have it done.
i think i read your older post way back and remembered that
Old 03-14-14, 02:07 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i think i read your older post way back and remembered that
Yes, that happened to me at Lexus of St. Louis.
Old 03-15-14, 12:22 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MickeyS
You are absolutely right, there are many variables involved when someone else works on your vehicle and a lot can go wrong, so the best thing is to thoroughly check to make sure the job was done right. Thinking about how they installed the new tire, they did it like in 15 minutes so I am sure the balancing wasn't done properly. Anyhow, I'll bring the truck either to the dealer or a local Firestone Service Center to do all 4 wheels road force balance. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for all the input.
Hope I didn't sound too much like somebody's dad . Can just write a book about what service shops etc. can do to a car. One I cried the most about was when I fetched my '84 Alfa 6 from a service and most of the threads in the aluminium heads (where the tappet cover bolts fit) were stripped by the guy who set the tappets.
But OK, I think you're following the best option at present.
Old 01-22-15, 05:45 PM
mbtn
Driver School Candidate

I recently bought a 2011 GX 460. The Lexus sales rep. said that the conversation mirror had been disabled by Lexus for safety reasons. Has anyone else experienced this? The compartment looks like it could provide a good place to stash sunglasses. Does anyone know if such a modification is possible/practical?
Old 01-23-15, 07:58 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mbtn
I recently bought a 2011 GX 460. The Lexus sales rep. said that the conversation mirror had been disabled by Lexus for safety reasons. Has anyone else experienced this? The compartment looks like it could provide a good place to stash sunglasses. Does anyone know if such a modification is possible/practical?
Your salesman is wrong as I have it on my 2012.
Old 01-25-15, 05:54 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Conversation Window on 2011 GX

I do not know for sure on the 2011, but on the 2015 when you push the button and the conversation window appears, gently pull down on it again and it will drop lower and there is a storage compartment for the sunglasses. I just found this out yesterday from a fellow member.
Old 01-25-15, 06:41 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I have a 2011 and it is standard on all GX 460s.

mbtn, please post a picture of what you have.
Old 01-26-15, 08:21 AM
mbtn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Does anyone know if the 2011 has the same feature as the 2015 that includes sunglass storage in addition to the useless conversation mirror?
Old 01-29-15, 06:10 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Does anyone know if the 2011 has the same feature as the 2015 that includes sunglass storage in addition to the useless conversation mirror?
It is standard on all GX 460's

Again, please post a picture of what you have.
Old 02-03-15, 08:40 AM
mbtn
Driver School Candidate

tecman, I have tried to post a picture, but am having difficulty. If you want to send an email address, I email you a photo.

I was able to pry the conversation mirror open with a pocket knife blade and was able to close it. Seems that the latch doesn't work like it is supposed to. Checked with Lexus parts at dealership and he informed me that there was no way to purchase a new mechanism or conversation mirror without purchasing the complete overhead console...around $1400....so I think I will pass.

Old 02-03-15, 08:42 AM
mbtn
Driver School Candidate

Oops, the picture did go through.

Another question: The driver and front passenger's bottom seat cover isn't holding up that well...any suggestions for reconditioning or replacing bottom seat covers?
Old 02-03-15, 06:07 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Oops, the picture did go through.

Another question: The driver and front passenger's bottom seat cover isn't holding up that well...any suggestions for reconditioning or replacing bottom seat covers?
Thanks for clarifying your problem. I was visualizing an empty compartment.

Has anyone found a good source for used 460 parts? There must be several in the junkyards by now that were totaled by insurance companies.

To answer your other question.
I have had the bottom seat cover patched with new leather on a few vehicles. The cost is usually $300-$500 per seat depending on what needs to be replaced.
Unfortunately this requires the seat to be removed so you will need to leave the vehicle in the shop.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues