GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2011 GX 460 wireless headphone keep cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 11:14 AM
wchapin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 GX 460 wireless headphone keep cutting out

This issue has irritated me from day one of getting my GX460. The wireless headphones that come with the factory rear entertainment system are junk. They catch a lot of interference so the sound quality is bad, and then if my kid is wearing them and they turn their head slightly the damn sound goes out. I paid thousands extra for the RES, and I'm disappointed.

Anyway, anyone else having this issue with the wireless headphones cutting out? I have gone to the dealer once already and gotten replacement headphones of the same kind. They worked OK for a few days then started cutting out again.

I believe the problem is poor design of the swivel part of the headphones which are meant to make them more compact, but are totally unnecessary and just cause performance problems.

I can't tell you how maddening it is to have spent $65,000 (including sales tax) on this SUV, and to find it is has junky headphones (not to mention a RES that can only show DVD's with the remote control (god help me if I lose the remote). When the sound cuts out my kid starts whimpering and I get mad at the truck all over again.

Anyone know of any third party replacement headphones? Also, does anyone also know of any software updates to the RES that made it so that driver or front passenger can control the DVD player from the front instead of relying on that stupid remote control?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-11, 06:37 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wchapin
This issue has irritated me from day one of getting my GX460. The wireless headphones that come with the factory rear entertainment system are junk. They catch a lot of interference so the sound quality is bad, and then if my kid is wearing them and they turn their head slightly the damn sound goes out. I paid thousands extra for the RES, and I'm disappointed.

Anyway, anyone else having this issue with the wireless headphones cutting out? I have gone to the dealer once already and gotten replacement headphones of the same kind. They worked OK for a few days then started cutting out again.

I believe the problem is poor design of the swivel part of the headphones which are meant to make them more compact, but are totally unnecessary and just cause performance problems.

I can't tell you how maddening it is to have spent $65,000 (including sales tax) on this SUV, and to find it is has junky headphones (not to mention a RES that can only show DVD's with the remote control (god help me if I lose the remote). When the sound cuts out my kid starts whimpering and I get mad at the truck all over again.

Anyone know of any third party replacement headphones? Also, does anyone also know of any software updates to the RES that made it so that driver or front passenger can control the DVD player from the front instead of relying on that stupid remote control?

Thanks!
Nope. Email mark templin, the gm of Lexus us. mark_templin@toyota.com

I did. Think the gx missed the mark, lol no pun intended, on a bunch of things.
Old 05-16-11, 12:25 PM
TrinCap
Rookie

I thought you had control over the DVD when in Park and with the emergency brake on, No? And aren't there controls for the DVD on the screen but you can't watch it? I know in the Highlander there are.
Old 06-13-11, 06:33 AM
wchapin
Driver School Candidate

OK, I FINALLY figured it out!!! The Lexus was just fine, although there was no damn documentation about it, nor was the Lexus dealer knowledgeable about the situation to easily explain it to me. I scoured the Internet, but nobody had any postings on it. So frustrating. Anyway...maybe EVERYONE in the world knew how this worked, but I sure didn't.

For those those that have Lexus GX 460 with Rear Entertainment..first the headphones are not wireless, they are infrared. The system uses infrared light to beam the signal to the headphones. So your child needs to be directly in in front of their respective monitor AND ...big AND here....their headphones have to be set to the "channel" (or really seat position) so they are getting the best signal. Lastly, you need to know that that rear passenger-driver side, is channel 1, and rear passenger-passenger side is channel 2. So child in rear passenger-driver side should set their headphones to channel 1, and child in rear passenger-passenger side should set their headphone to channel 2. Do this and it works PERFECTLY. Crystal clear sound that doesn't cut out and no screaming/whining kids pouting because the stupid headphones keep cutting out.

Each time I get the kids in the car now, I make sure they are set to the right channel and I never have problems.

Just an FYI, for those that have iPhones, I recommend loading your kids moving to your iPhone and connecting your iPhone to the video RCA jacks in the rear passenger console and skip dealing with the DVD's altogether.

I hope that helps someone. I have faith in Lexus again, though I am annoyed that I had to totally figure this out on my own after 2 trips to Lexus, a replacement set of set of headphones (they provided for free), several hours combing through the manuals and Internet, and 6 months of bad feelings about the expensive SUV I just bought.
Old 06-13-11, 11:44 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Thanks for the information i have not even used my headphones in the rear of my GX460 yet but did just take a trip in the back of a GX470. They are completely different and yes the Iphone RCA thing was great. I even watched some netfix stuff with a few pauses and low quality but it was great to have that ability.