GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fog lights with high beams.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 06:59 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun

ok, i am really lost here. where are you installing this module? inside the drivers compartment under dashboard, at bumper, near battery? this thread is really confusing.
does this mod allow you use the oem turn switch on the stick to control the fogs, or are u adding a new switch? Or is it the oem DRL switch that is now turning on the fogs here

If youre adding a new switch, makes sense, if not, thats where i get lost.

I would like to be able to turn on the fogs independently of ALL the lights on the front with the oem switch.

The modification used on the 4th gen will not work on 5th gen 4runner, so u can be sure it will not work on our gx 460.
The Module can be installed anywhere. I installed mine against the fire wall behind the battery.

The mod allows you to do whatever you can do now, when the Module is turned off, by an independent switch.

The Module will work on any car.

~ Cap
Old 01-25-11, 03:44 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are using a switch you will have to run wires through the firewall so it would be better to mount everything under the dash. You would only have to run two wires to the driver's side fog light (use a nice wire loom and black wire ties). Mounting inside the vehicle will provide less exposure to the elements.

Koz
Old 01-25-11, 05:05 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found it easier (I'm an old man) to mount the Module next to the firewall, next to a grommet and fed two wires through the grommet The Blue wire and the Yellow.

The Module and existing wires are well tucked-in, next to the firewall, out of sight and protected.

~ Cap
Old 12-07-19, 06:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Ancient thread resurrection. Anyone done this mod?... seems simpler than other options I have seen using this DRL-1 module to keep fogs on with highs.

https://webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Old 12-07-19, 07:47 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Just a side note, running high beams with any other lights (including fogs) is a violation of FMVSS 108 and is something you certainly can (and will) get a ticket.

There is actually a rational reason for this prohibition.

In very simple terms, the eye is drawn to the brightest area. Fogs are intended to illuminate the area directly in front of - and to the side - of your vehicle and should only be used at low speeds in bad weather.

High beams are intended to illuminate the area in the distance. If both are on at the same time, then your distance vision is shot AND you're looking at the area directly in front of the car.
Old 12-07-19, 08:57 PM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
something you certainly can (and will) get a ticket.
I'm curious as to what would be the method of observation of the violation would an LEO have to ticket someone for this violation?
Additionally, I wouldn't know about VA, but I near certain in PA that if you put 1000 cops in a room and asked what the FMVSS was only about 10 would know. Then, less than half would know how to ticket the violation.

Old 12-07-19, 11:05 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 982 Likes on 663 Posts

Just a side note, running high beams with any other lights (including fogs) is a violation of FMVSS 108 and is something you certainly can (and will) get a ticket.
One would hope that will all of the problems in this world, the police would have enough to occupy their limited time to notice or even care. Yes, back when all headlights were either round or square "standard issue" GE or Sylvania incandescent sealed beams, any breach in lighting was easy to identify. But today with LED's plastered all over the front of vehicles ... across hundreds of physical designs and configurations ... I really do think that getting busted for running fog lights with the high beams is an extremely low risk proposition, not something I personally would worry about.

Last edited by ASE; 12-08-19 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-08-19, 07:40 AM
John00
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkVII
I'm curious as to what would be the method of observation of the violation would an LEO have to ticket someone for this violation?
Additionally, I wouldn't know about VA, but I near certain in PA that if you put 1000 cops in a room and asked what the FMVSS was only about 10 would know. Then, less than half would know how to ticket the violation.

i wouldnt worry so much about FMVSS as about state laws. FMVSS isnt going to impact you but state law will, and many state laws get guidance from the FMVSS and others.
in many states if you have 6 activated lights for road illumination and youre on the road then you would be in violation. havent seen anyone stopped for this but have seen stops for light bars turned on
Old 12-08-19, 07:41 AM
John00
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Ancient thread resurrection. Anyone done this mod?... seems simpler than other options I have seen using this DRL-1 module to keep fogs on with highs.

https://webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
many tie the fogs to the IGN so they are always on with the car, like drl.
this only takes a jumper wire.
Old 12-08-19, 09:15 AM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by John00
Your Post
Without going too far off the tracks & deeper into the quagmire, most state's vehicle equipment standards mimic the FMVSS and those standards apply to everything & everyone on the highway. As I pointed out, very few LEOs know how to access those regulations because they are usually in statutes other than the run-of-the-mill traffic laws i.e. stop signs, red lights, speeding. Your lightbar example is one of them. In the PA equipment regulations, those lights are categorized as off road lights and not only cannot be ON while on the highway but are required to be covered. So, day or night just the mere presence of a lightbar that's uncovered will get the driver a ticket There's' the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

Now, if I could only find an easy mod (like the 4th gen 4Runner) that didn't require wire/ wire-tapping to have the fog/driving lights to tun ON/OFF with the stalk switch.

YMMV
Old 12-08-19, 09:18 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 982 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
i wouldnt worry so much about FMVSS as about state laws. FMVSS isnt going to impact you but state law will, and many state laws get guidance from the FMVSS and others.
in many states if you have 6 activated lights for road illumination and youre on the road then you would be in violation. havent seen anyone stopped for this but have seen stops for light bars turned on
... makes sense given only an a$$ hole uses a light bar on the road ... great for off-road where blasting uncontrolled lumens all over the place is acceptable, but not on the road. Bling (style) lighting is an exception ... integrated fogs are not going to draw attention.
Old 12-08-19, 12:36 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MarkVII
Without going too far off the tracks & deeper into the quagmire, most state's vehicle equipment standards mimic the FMVSS and those standards apply to everything & everyone on the highway. As I pointed out, very few LEOs know how to access those regulations because they are usually in statutes other than the run-of-the-mill traffic laws i.e. stop signs, red lights, speeding. Your lightbar example is one of them. In the PA equipment regulations, those lights are categorized as off road lights and not only cannot be ON while on the highway but are required to be covered. So, day or night just the mere presence of a lightbar that's uncovered will get the driver a ticket There's' the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

Now, if I could only find an easy mod (like the 4th gen 4Runner) that didn't require wire/ wire-tapping to have the fog/driving lights to tun ON/OFF with the stalk switch.

YMMV
Absolutely correct, but I think you'd be surprised as to how much they know about the regulations. I know, for example, that a few years ago, PA was a stickler for side marker lights both during inspection and enforcement - I'm not sure if they still are. What I do know is that enforcement changes frequently and what the cop ignores today may be what he tickets for tomorrow.

The FMVSS requires that no other lights are on when the high beams are used. That's something that is very obvious and I'd think that every cop knows that requirement - enforcement is, of course, something that nobody can predict.

Any violation of the FMVSS is an offense that, technically, rescinds the registration of a vehicle in every state - but it is up to the state to enforce the FMVSS.

My point, and it appears that it was missed by most, wasn't a technical violation, but that the use of fogs in conjunction with high beams is actually a very bad idea because it messes with YOUR ability to see properly.

Last edited by cb1111; 12-08-19 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 12:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

, PA was a stickler for side marker lights both during inspection and enforcement - I'm not sure if they still are. What I do know is that enforcement changes frequently and what the cop ignores today may be what he tickets for tomorrow.

A little OT but how prevalent are vehicle safety inspections throughout the US? Here in WA state for example the only times I can think of an inspection occurring by state patrol is if I home build a trailer or bring a used car in from out of state. Normal vehicle safety inspections don't exist here to renew license/tab on a vehicle. All emissions tests will sunset at the end of the month for all of WA state. As-is anything 2009 and newer has never required an emission test.
Old 12-08-19, 02:13 PM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Absolutely correct, but I think you'd be surprised as to how much they know about the regulations. I know, for example, that a few years ago, PA was a stickler for side marker lights both during inspection and enforcement - I'm not sure if they still are. What I do know is that enforcement changes frequently and what the cop ignores today may be what he tickets for tomorrow.
Not in my 35 years. PA inspection mechanics do noting more than follow a safety-mechanical check list that's PASS/FAIL; anything further is not in their perview. A prime example of that is window tint. The regs require 70% light transmission, since that requirement is not on an insepection mechanic's PASS/FAIL check-list any car with <70% walks right through. As far as LEOs, very, very, very few, including PSP know where to access the Vehicle Equipment and Inspection Regulations, let alone decipher them for enforcement becuase they are not part of the Vehicle Code (traffic enforcement.) Accident reconstructionists notwithstanding.

My understaning of FMVSS regs violations resulted in civil penalties. Would you please point me in the direction of the reg that allows registrations to be suspended?

Last edited by MarkVII; 12-08-19 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-19, 04:15 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acrad
A little OT but how prevalent are vehicle safety inspections throughout the US? Here in WA state for example the only times I can think of an inspection occurring by state patrol is if I home build a trailer or bring a used car in from out of state. Normal vehicle safety inspections don't exist here to renew license/tab on a vehicle. All emissions tests will sunset at the end of the month for all of WA state. As-is anything 2009 and newer has never required an emission test.
Most states have some sort of safety AND emission testing. VA for example, has annual safety inspections and emission every two years. MD has an inspection whenever the car first brought into state or when it is transferred. MD has a regular (annual ?) emissions test. PA has an annual inspection.

Quick Reply: Fog lights with high beams.