GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Replacing the high beam bulbs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 10:32 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the high beam bulbs!

I don't like the yellowish light of the high beam/DRL 9005 halogen bulb that the GX comes with and was thinking about replacing it with another halogen that can produce something close to the white of the HID. I was looking at the 9005 Putco Nitro Blue Halogen Bulbs. Have anyone used these bulbs before? Do you recommend another bulb that can be close to the color of the HID's? Thanks
Old 01-09-11, 07:46 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I don't like the yellowish light of the high beam/DRL 9005 halogen bulb that the GX comes with and was thinking about replacing it with another halogen that can produce something close to the white of the HID. I was looking at the 9005 Putco Nitro Blue Halogen Bulbs. Have anyone used these bulbs before? Do you recommend another bulb that can be close to the color of the HID's? Thanks
Even if you change to a bulb with a whiter output, you may not achieve much improvement as in DRL mode there is only half of voltage sent. You can move to LED, but you will have to add resistor to send full power. You will get the desired effect, but you will loose high beam option.

I would disable DRL (part of setup in NAV) and maybe go with additional DRL module to be mounted by fog lights (which I have done) or convert Fog lights to DRL and put there nice 5000k LED.
Old 01-09-11, 06:49 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Luke
what led did you put in the HIGH beam or FOGs again?
I discovered that the Fogs turn off when you flash the high beams. I therefore cannot put my hella microxenons in the fogs like I had initially planned.

What DRLS did you use? I still have my philips DRLS in the box
Old 01-09-11, 10:56 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Micky.....

I wired my Fog Lights so they are on whenever the engine is running, day or night.

If I just want to use my fog lights alone at night, I turn my Parking Lights on to have Tail Lights.

~ Cap
Old 01-10-11, 05:51 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Micky.....

I wired my Fog Lights so they are on whenever the engine is running, day or night.

If I just want to use my fog lights alone at night, I turn my Parking Lights on to have Tail Lights.

~ Cap

Could you post the wiring mod, I what to do this.

Thanks
Koz
Old 01-11-11, 06:16 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Even if you change to a bulb with a whiter output, you may not achieve much improvement as in DRL mode there is only half of voltage sent.
As Luke stated above, these is only a little improvement on the GX. The 100w bulbs worked better on my IS but there is an improvement on the GX. The high beams match the HIDs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ts-as-drl.html

Koz
Old 01-11-11, 04:31 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
Luke
what led did you put in the HIGH beam or FOGs again?
I discovered that the Fogs turn off when you flash the high beams. I therefore cannot put my hella microxenons in the fogs like I had initially planned.

What DRLS did you use? I still have my philips DRLS in the box
I have not changed high beams as I don't want to loose high beam option. If you want to use LED bulbs as your DRL in place of current DRL (pure nice white color), this module will correct the voltage differentation issue. You will no longer have high beam option
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...97704-1-2.html

I have change fog lights to 5K LEDs. They match HID lights very well. Here it is the link where to buy them
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...24328-1-2.html

I have not converted them to DRL lights. Above post has the link to the module but I don't think anyone posted how to wire the mod. Nice mod as it preventes fogs from turning off when high beam in use. The reason they turn off is because there is some law that do not allow more than four lights to be on at the same time.

I have installed a seperate DRL module. You cannot buy the exact module I have installed as it is a test version for a company and within a month or so will be updating it with a new pre-release version. Here it is a link to my post with pictures.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...24328-1-2.html

Your Philips should give you the same effect and probable this is the way I would go.

Last edited by Luke27617; 01-12-11 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-11-11, 07:48 PM
T4Fun
Racer

thanks
those leds only have 400 lumens?
i may make my own led fogs out of 4 Cree leds each side, each putting out 430 lumens, so that would be around 1700 lumens. still nowhere near the 3000+ lumen out put of an HID. need to get a good heatsink. I may dissect the PHilips drls i have and put 5 crees on each side. wouldnt that be something.
Old 01-11-11, 07:49 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Has anyone tried swapping to Putco Pure Nitro Blue 6000K or the Nokya Stage 2 Cosmic White 5000k? I would assume the Putco would be slightly blue on bright but might be a clean white DRL.

I am going to try one or the other soon. Anyone had experience with either. The first week I put in the SilverStar Ultra which might barely be whiter but not much. It is annoying.
Old 01-11-11, 08:03 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by gxgonz
Has anyone tried swapping to Putco Pure Nitro Blue 6000K or the Nokya Stage 2 Cosmic White 5000k? I would assume the Putco would be slightly blue on bright but might be a clean white DRL.

I am going to try one or the other soon. Anyone had experience with either. The first week I put in the SilverStar Ultra which might barely be whiter but not much. It is annoying.
silverstars burn out after 2-3 months, not a good or cheap option. Unless you put in leds or pure HIDS, no lite is worth it imho. Halogens are for the dark ages, literally
Old 01-11-11, 08:34 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

I do agree they are for the dark ages. The silverstars are actually very bright for 4300k but yes they have poor longevity. I just want the white color. Not yellow, not blue and not barney purple.

this is also an option I am looking at.

http://www.luminicsusa.com/detail.as...005F&Type=9005
Old 01-12-11, 03:42 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Capirato
Micky.....

~ Cap
I guess this is a secret!

Koz
Old 01-12-11, 05:43 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
thanks
those leds only have 400 lumens?
i may make my own led fogs out of 4 Cree leds each side, each putting out 430 lumens, so that would be around 1700 lumens. still nowhere near the 3000+ lumen out put of an HID. need to get a good heatsink. I may dissect the PHilips drls i have and put 5 crees on each side. wouldnt that be something.
A little more lumens would be nice, but actually you don't want that. Fogs will blind people. Look at people on streets who converted fogs to HID. Also the LED is more an apperance. HID healdlights give enough lights that fogs do not make much difference anyway.
Old 01-13-11, 05:49 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Luke27617
A little more lumens would be nice, but actually you don't want that. Fogs will blind people. Look at people on streets who converted fogs to HID. Also the LED is more an apperance. HID healdlights give enough lights that fogs do not make much difference anyway.
I have the 5K LED H11 (V-LED) fogs and I disconnected the low beams to see exactly how effective they are and they produce the same pattern and coverage (wide angle, low to the ground pattern) as the OEM bulbs but have the HID temperature. They work just like the OEM fogs and are more then just for appearance, you can see the pattern at approx 170 degrees. I would just like to use them independently.

Koz
Old 01-13-11, 03:19 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

I just purchased these http://www.buyheadlightbulbs.com/Lum.../lkt-9005f.htm for the DRL/highbeams.
When I get them installed I will update and post some pics of the color.

Quick Reply: Replacing the high beam bulbs!