GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Higher profile tires on stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 03:51 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Higher profile tires on stock rims

I'm wondering if it will majorly affect the trucks handling if I put on 265/65 tires on the stock rims? I know the fuel economy will go down due to a heavier rotating mass, but will the brakes handle the larger wheels? How about the ride height? Thanks for your time folks!
Old 01-07-11, 11:12 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Why would you want 65s? Are you changing the wheels? They are a little over an inch larger in overall diameter. That's about a half inch in vehicle height. Depending which tire you buy, there may not see a big difference in weight (if any).

Koz
Old 01-07-11, 03:22 PM
JsGX460
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ride height change is negligible. Larger tires do fill up the wheel wells nicely.

I went to a larger (taller and wider) toyo open country. I've been very happy with them. stock wheels.

I maybe lost .5mpg. nothing to worry about.

I am one of the few who take the GX off pavement - I needed more meat on the tires.
Old 01-07-11, 03:37 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking of putting BF Goodrich All-Terrains on the stocks rims, but they only come in 265/65, and the larger tires do fit the wheel wells better, just what JsGX460 has mentioned. If it doesn't affect the car negatively then it would be a nice option.
Old 01-07-11, 08:01 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you may not be able to fit that size tire in the spare wheel well, and you dont want to have 3 wheels different from the 4th on this 4wd suv.

i suggest u go to the older 1st gen 17 inch rim if you want a 265/65 tire.

the rims imho could be better (i personally like the 4th gen 4R rims Limited).
Old 01-07-11, 08:16 PM
JsGX460
Driver

[QUOTE=T4Fun;6048023]you may not be able to fit that size tire in the spare wheel well, and you dont want to have 3 wheels different from the 4th on this 4wd suv.

QUOTE]

As much as I appreciate the logic on this... for over a decade you've seen yukon's, tahoes, escalades 'rollin' on 22's, 24's, 26's, etc. Something tells me they didn't run an equivalent setup in the spare.

You can run the odd size spare - just limp along and don't travel across the country like that.

Go for the larger tire. Don't worry about the .00000001% case. If you are worried, have it towed.
Old 01-08-11, 07:05 PM
Koz

I recommend staying with the OEM size (overall diameter 30.5") tire. The OEM has engineered every aspect of the ride based on that diameter. The only advantage of a taller tire is ground clearance. You will trade ride/handling on-road.

Koz
Old 01-09-11, 07:11 AM
gxgonz
Rookie

As soon as these tires are worn I am bumping up the size. 285/60. I want the higher ride height and ground clearance. If there was a 1.5 inch lift I would put it on the front as well. The wider tire will give you more foot print on and off the road. JsGX460, have you experienced any difference in handling?

As for the spare. Does anyone remember the days of "donut" spares. They were tiny and a whole lot smaller than just an inch smaller.
Old 01-09-11, 07:13 AM
JsGX460
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
I recommend staying with the OEM size (overall diameter 30.5") tire. The OEM has engineered every aspect of the ride based on that diameter. The only advantage of a taller tire is ground clearance. You will trade ride/handling on-road.

Koz
trade for the better maybe... that's a very subjective statement.

I personally like the handling and ride more. The GX feels a bit more sure footed and 'tight' in the turns.

Run the right PSI for the suspension setting and the ride is very comfortable.

Road noise on the A/T is a bit more - but nothing to be worried about.

I personally see ZERO negative impact to going up one small size in tire. IMHO, it looks a hell of alot better, handles better on AND off road (or in snow), and the ride is still very nice considering it's on a frame still.

You make it sound like the GX is a sports car.
Old 01-09-11, 01:33 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Thanks JsGX460. Having a wider tire only makes sense to have better grip in cornering and feel more sure footed. When the time comes I will pick the exact tire but definitely more aggressive. Maybe Toyo or Nitto.
Old 01-09-11, 06:36 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JsGX460

I personally like the handling and ride more. The GX feels a bit more sure footed and 'tight' in the turns.

I personally see ZERO negative impact to going up one small size in tire. IMHO, it looks a hell of alot better, handles better on AND off road (or in snow), and the ride is still very nice considering it's on a frame still.

on the contrary

the wider the tire, the LESS it will cut thru snow and water and it will be more apt to hydroplane and skid. Now if youre talking about dry pavement, yeah, thats where a wider tire helps. Totally different ball game when snow and water come into play.

here is some arguments
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/...388/Tire-width

IMHO the tire size on the gx is more than adequate. They should of probably put 20 x 8.5 inch rims though like on the LC and LX

Last edited by T4Fun; 01-09-11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 06:06 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by JsGX460

I totally disagree, it has been my experience (and other) that you will sacrifice ride and handling when changing to a non-OEM size. Depending on how drastic you change the size. One size will only make a small difference but it is a negative difference. Also A/T tires (without a doubt) are not as good as M&S highway tires on road or bad weather. As a matter of fact they SUCK! The only two that are half way decent are the Silent Armors and Revo2.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 01-10-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 09:30 AM
gxgonz
Rookie

Looks like everyone is a tire expert. I have only heard from JsGx460 who actually drives around with bigger tires on a GX460, and he likes the ride. I live in the south. Today will be the only snow I see for 12 months. The narrow tire does better in snow? Do narrow snow shoes work better than wider ones? If you are driving ON snow, wider will be better. If you are driving through the snow and making contact with the pavement the narrow might be better for that situation. Wider taller A/T tires are going on my GX for off road grip and clearance, not to mention bigger beefier tires look way better. This is not a ML63 AMG. This is one of the last remaining body on frame SUVs with off road spirit and capabilities.

This is basically a GX460 and this is what a snow expert has done to it.

http://www.arctictrucks.com/Pages/4670 Prado with 33"
http://www.arctictrucks.com/Pages/4671 Prado with 35"
Old 01-10-11, 03:57 PM
Koz

Good read!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...res/index.html

Koz