GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Finally Found One Negative

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 12:24 PM
kellkat3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
May we know what they are? The benefit of discussion on this forum is that other owners may have found "a way around" perceived problems. Certainly, no one has found a way to display outside temperature without pressing a button, but presumably that is not your only complaint.
Regards,

SaniDel
Ok here are my little nitch's so far...The temp outside not displayed ( as mentioned already), how the dvd operates ( since my truck was found without them dealership put them in & I can only operate through a remote pointing at the screens in back), the headlights at night I find not bright at all & I have great vision, they seem to point down more than forward but when I brought it in they said it passed all tests and that bc they are the 'new lights' they are very bright and cannot point directly in other drivers back windows... Not in love with the rims on truck nor the button for radio.. My radio sounds ok not the best, I did not get the Mark Levinson. Also, I think this trucks too much like the 4runner, it has totally lost the lexus look, that rich look. I knew these things going into it but go the truck anyway. It was one of the luxury trucks I knew would have the room I needed for the kids for now. I do love the drive on truck but I am not overly impressed. The range rover or even Mercedes looks like a much richer truck. Thats just my opinion. The truck is also growing on me, I guess I have to get used to it. I also hate how the map keeps popping up but I know I can fix that after reading a few posts on here.
I also love how the sensor on the door locks all doors as well as unlocks doors when car sense's keys.

Last edited by kellkat3; 04-10-11 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 01:08 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing with us. I'll take a stab at one of your nitch's ... the headlights. The high beams are extremely bright ... I feel sorry for oncoming drivers if I forget to dim the lights. Because they are so bright, the GX 460 high beams have a very sharp "cut-off" ... the shape of the pattern the lights make on the road.

As a result, on a level, straight road the high beams don't shine "all the way" down the road! There is a distinct edge to the high beams, beyond which the road appears dark. I'm guessing that is to keep from blinding oncoming drivers before dimming the lights, i.e., switching to low beams.

There is a big difference between the GX 460 high beams and low beams. The former is "long and narrow with an edge" and the latter is "wide and low" but a lot dimmer. Our "work around" is to keep the fog light switch in the on position so we get that additional illumination, but only on low beams. That makes the difference even greater and we do a lot of switching between high and low beams, but there is always plenty of light.

How do the pivoting head lights work for you? We find they are a great advantage on low beams when maneuvering in the suburbs at night as the beams light up the road in the direction we are turning. It is deliberately asymmetrical ... they pivot more in one direction than in the other. We had this on our 2006 RX 400h, which we traded for our 2010 GX 460 ... we are glad that feature "made the trade"!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Too bad the GX 460 doesn't have pop-up headlight washers like the RX did. It makes a big difference to the illumination if your headlights are dirty and it would be nice to be able to clean them while driving.
Old 04-10-11, 04:43 PM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
P.S. Too bad the GX 460 doesn't have pop-up headlight washers like the RX did. It makes a big difference to the illumination if your headlights are dirty and it would be nice to be able to clean them while driving.
The premium has the pop-up headlight cleaners.
Old 04-11-11, 04:53 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sudhs
Correct me if there already exists one but one of the most basic feature that I find missing is that there's no direct button on the front control panel to change the speed of the blower fan. There's one to turn the blower fan off but nothing to change the speed of the fan. Once has to go to the Climate menu of the ML/NV system and then adjust the speed even though it is one of the most basic functions. Instead of the FAN OFF, they could've made it a left press decrease and right press increase kinda button.
Yes, this is extremely annoying to me. The only way to change the blower without getting into the climate screen is to turn off or hit auto and lower the temp SO IT WILL BLOW YOUR FACE OFF. No in between.

Also I think the nav is extremely unintuitive. My Garmin is much more efficiently designed. Say I find an address and want to save it. With Garmin, it prompts you to add the name when you save. Done. With Lexus, you have to save. THEN go BACK and find the entry to add the name. But no, you don't pick the entry and edit the name, you have to say address book, THEN EDIT, THEN FIND THE NAME. So I keep picking the entry and then realize, duh, I have to go back and click edit. Completely unintuitive. And say I want to find something in my address book that starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet, I have to scroll . . . down. .. . the . . . .address book. . . till. . . the. . . . end. No way to search address book, just sort by date or name.

Who designs these things????

Finally, my dh ordered weather tech liners for me AT CHRISTMAS and I still don't have them.
Old 04-11-11, 05:00 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
Second negitive, On/off button for audio system!

Koz
Are you saying there isn't one? You just tap the big round volume button and it goes off and on. Sorry if someone mentioned this, I haven't read all the comments yet . . .
Old 04-11-11, 09:00 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by closenough
The premium has the pop-up headlight cleaners.
+1, my premium does have the pop up washers...
Old 04-11-11, 01:38 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
KOZ
there are no side cameras in rear. it is one camera with a wide view. what the heck are you talking about?
I have the wide-view monitoring system (option) which has cameras mounted in the side mirror and front grill. It can be turned on with a steering wheel mounted switch or can be set to go on automatically when the vehicle is moving at 10 mph or less.

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/featu...e_monitor.html

Koz
Old 04-11-11, 01:55 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by wannaGX
Are you saying there isn't one? You just tap the big round volume button and it goes off and on. Sorry if someone mentioned this, I haven't read all the comments yet . . .
I can't tell you how many times I hit the (BIG) on/off button with my knee. This has to be the stupidest place you could EVER put an on/off switch.

If you're out there listening Lexus, how could you do this, this is STUPID! This is also a problem with many Lexus.

Koz
Old 04-11-11, 02:04 PM
Koz

Yes, this is extremely annoying to me. The only way to change the blower without getting into the climate screen is to turn off or hit auto and lower the temp SO IT WILL BLOW YOUR FACE OFF. No in between.

Also I think the nav is extremely unintuitive. My Garmin is much more efficiently designed. Say I find an address and want to save it. With Garmin, it prompts you to add the name when you save. Done. With Lexus, you have to save. THEN go BACK and find the entry to add the name. But no, you don't pick the entry and edit the name, you have to say address book, THEN EDIT, THEN FIND THE NAME. So I keep picking the entry and then realize, duh, I have to go back and click edit. Completely unintuitive. And say I want to find something in my address book that starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet, I have to scroll . . . down. .. . the . . . .address book. . . till. . . the. . . . end. No way to search address book, just sort by date or name.

Who designs these things????

Finally, my dh ordered weather tech liners for me AT CHRISTMAS and I still don't have them.
There is a manual fan speed button on the nav screen and you can also use the voice command.

Once you get used to the climate control system there is no need to change the fan speed. It will change automatically when the system determines it is needed.

Koz
Old 04-11-11, 10:06 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
There is a manual fan speed button on the nav screen and you can also use the voice command.

Once you get used to the climate control system there is no need to change the fan speed. It will change automatically when the system determines it is needed.

Koz
I know how to make it work, I just completely agree that it should be an easy access button. I like being in control instantly.

My knee has never hit the radio button. hmmm.
Old 04-12-11, 04:44 AM
Koz

My knee has never hit the radio button. hmmm.
I'm 6'1" and sit high and somewhat close to the steering wheel. How tall are you?

Koz
Old 04-12-11, 05:03 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
I'm 6'1" and sit high and somewhat close to the steering wheel. How tall are you?

Koz
5'6' and I sit pretty far back. mmmm just meant I didn't realize that might cause problems for some.

Actually, my biggest negative on this car is I can't wear jeans or it will turn my ecru seats blue. And nothing gets it out, not even the $20 a bottle stuff from the dealer. And you can't find seat covers that work (I checked both lexus and aftermarket). I have to lay a towel on my seat when I wear certain pairs. How ghettol
Old 04-12-11, 07:00 AM
Koz

5'6' and I sit pretty far back. mmmm just meant I didn't realize that might cause problems for some.

Actually, my biggest negative on this car is I can't wear jeans or it will turn my ecru seats blue. And nothing gets it out, not even the $20 a bottle stuff from the dealer. And you can't find seat covers that work (I checked both lexus and aftermarket). I have to lay a towel on my seat when I wear certain pairs. How ghettol
I learned long time ago to get a black interior when available!

Koz
Old 04-12-11, 08:23 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer refused to order Ecru, because he said any type of colored clothing would stain the leather!
Old 04-12-11, 09:26 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I learned long time ago to get a black interior when available!

Koz
Same here, I only order a black interior...

Quick Reply: Finally Found One Negative