GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Purchasing a GX - few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 12:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Purchasing a GX - few questions

After months of looking at everything under the sun (CPO LXs, GX 470s, 4Runners, Highlanders, Land Cruisers, XC90s, etc) I think we have finally agreed that a new GX will be joining the ranks soon.

A few snags...she wants Peridot Mica with black interior, which IMO, is a slightly odd color combo and there don't seem to be many around either. She saw a GX equipped as such while getting the ES serviced and it has been lust at first sight ever since. I might prefer the Sepia interior with that dark green paint, but need to take a better look in person.

We've also built a few of them on Lexus.com and it seems like the only way to get the ML system is on the Premium model - it's not an option on the base truck. Is this true?

What discounts have you guys been getting off MSRP, if any?

What are the big advantages of the premium model over the base?

More to come, I am sure.

Thanks!

Michael
Old 10-29-10, 12:24 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

ML is optional on both models.

I have a Premium on special order for $1500 over invoice.

The Premium has 3 zone climate control, power folding side mirrors, illuminated frond door sills, body side molding, cargo cover, semi-aniline leather, heated wood and leather steering wheel, heated/ventilated front seats, heated middle row seats, rear A/C, HID/adaptive/auto leveling headlights with washers, more chrome trim on rear quarter glass, AVS (adaptive variable susp) and EMRAS (auto leveling rear air susp).

The Premium weighs 35lbs more and is approx 1/2" shorter in height.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 11-01-10 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 12:27 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^ Thank you!
Old 10-31-10, 11:47 PM
cannysage
Rookie

Originally Posted by Koz
ML is optional on both models.

I have a Premium on special order for $1500 over invoice.

The Premium has 3 zone climate control, power folding side mirrors, illuminated frond door sills, body side molding, cargo cover, semi-aniline leather, heated wood and leather steering wheel, heated/ventilated front seats, heated middle row seats, rear A/C, HID/adaptive/auto leveling headlights with washers, more chrome trim on rear quarter glass, AVS (adaptive variable susp) and EMRAS (auto leveling rear ais susp).

The Premium weighs 35lbs more and is approx 1/2" shorter in height.

Koz
base model also have the 3 zone climate control, power folding mirrorns, heated/cooling seats and the same lighting as well. I do wished I had the premium for the adjustable suspension.
Old 11-01-10, 03:47 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by cannysage
base model also have the 3 zone climate control, power folding mirrorns, heated/cooling seats and the same lighting as well. I do wished I had the premium for the adjustable suspension.
Three zone climate control (w/rear air) power folding mirrors, rear heated seats and the HID adaptive headlighs are optional on the base model. There is an optional packages that wiil provide them.

Koz
Old 11-08-10, 10:21 PM
Gx470Rx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The premium is quieter and is defiantly worth it. And the dark red exterior with the sepia brown leather looks amazing in person. The entire dealership was looking at it when it came in. They couldn't believe how good it looked. It's the only one in Spokane Washington. If you get one defiantly get that color combo
Old 11-08-10, 10:24 PM
Gx470Rx300
Driver School Candidate

Also the Volvo xc90 is not reliable and has many problems
Old 11-09-10, 05:26 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gx470Rx300
The premium is quieter and is defiantly worth it. And the dark red exterior with the sepia brown leather looks amazing in person. The entire dealership was looking at it when it came in. They couldn't believe how good it looked. It's the only one in Spokane Washington. If you get one defiantly get that color combo
Premium is quieter?
Old 11-09-10, 06:59 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The premium is quieter ...
Why?

Regards,

SaniDel
Old 11-09-10, 09:47 AM
Koz

At the time I ordered my (red) GX I did not have the opportunity to see a green one in person and I assumed it would have looked crappy. I have never seen a green vehicle that look appealing. I had to go to the Stealer to pick up some parts for my IS and sure enough there is a green GX on the showroom floor. I have to admit it is a very nice color and I may have choose that color if I had seen one in person (then again the wife hates green).

As far as interior colors, I’ve come to the conclusion that black leather holds up the best and is the easiest to take care of. Also all the other interior parts/trim blends better (like seat belts).

Koz
Old 11-09-10, 01:50 PM
Gx470Rx300
Driver School Candidate

when i went to test drive the GX460 they only had a base in stock, and when we came back for a second time they had a premium in stock and i was quieter, and the salesman said something about they used extra dampening material to make it quieter. maybe he was lying but i noticed a difference.
Old 11-09-10, 03:14 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

when i went to test drive the GX460 they only had a base in stock, and when we came back for a second time they had a premium in stock and i was quieter, and the salesman said something about they used extra dampening material to make it quieter. maybe he was lying but i noticed a difference.
Very interesting. You would think that Lexus would make that claim in their advertising and likely in their brochure, but I haven't found it here:

http://ebrochures.lexus.com/publicat...29#/1e148029/1

It is certainly a reasonable claim, i.e., that the premium version includes extra dampening material to make it quieter although our GX 460 is quieter than any other Lexus model we have owned other than the LS, which was so quiet as to be disconcerting as there was little audible evidence ... we could only tell if the engine was running by looking at the tachometer. No such problem with the GX 460, eh? ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 11-09-10, 06:59 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

thats a bunch of garbage period. I never believe any salesman whenever they speak of the car I am looking at. I once had a dealer tell me the 4runner is based off the highlander and "drives" better. LOL. Most consumers in the market know a heck of lot more about the vehicle than the salesman
Old 11-12-10, 06:33 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Salesman is clueless - can you help?

Just had the WORST car buying experience ever - sales guy knew nothing about the features of the GX. Simply awful. Now I am more confused about reality than before - hopefully someone here knows the truth.

Getting ready to order a fully loaded premium - trying to understand if I need the Rear seat entertainment option in order to watch DVD on the front Navi screen (while parked etc...). I don't have kids so don't need anything in the rear...but I do spend a fair amount of time waiting in my car so like to watch DVD while parked.

B-T-W - offering me about $5500 below MSRP - sounds decent but not as good as what others here seem to be getting....thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 11-12-10, 06:53 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Knicksfan
Just had the WORST car buying experience ever - sales guy knew nothing about the features of the GX. Simply awful. Now I am more confused about reality than before - hopefully someone here knows the truth.

Getting ready to order a fully loaded premium - trying to understand if I need the Rear seat entertainment option in order to watch DVD on the front Navi screen (while parked etc...). I don't have kids so don't need anything in the rear...but I do spend a fair amount of time waiting in my car so like to watch DVD while parked.

B-T-W - offering me about $5500 below MSRP - sounds decent but not as good as what others here seem to be getting....thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob
Don't know about the DVD. Quick suggestion. Never talk with dealer about $$$ off MSRP. Always talk from Invoice. Even though 5500 of MSRP may sound like a good deal, you may be paying $2-3k over invoice as every option is heavily marked up. Go to edmunds.com and price it up with all options which are on the truck and then you will know if you are getting a good deal.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a GX - few questions