GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Upgrading tires to something larger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 06:07 PM
JsGX460
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading tires to something larger?

I don't have the Michelins, I have the Bridgestone's. They really have been quite fine for me.

I have the PVD chrome wheels en route...

My question is... Anyone put on something larger than a 265/60? What fits/clears on the stock rim?

Not looking for anything crazy, and would still like to preserve the quiet ride. Maybe a 275/65? A little wider, a little taller?

Ideas?
Old 10-25-10, 08:02 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JsGX460
I don't have the Michelins, I have the Bridgestone's. They really have been quite fine for me.

I have the PVD chrome wheels en route...

My question is... Anyone put on something larger than a 265/60? What fits/clears on the stock rim?

Not looking for anything crazy, and would still like to preserve the quiet ride. Maybe a 275/65? A little wider, a little taller?

Ideas?
I wouldn't go with a taller tire. You will have to recalibrate speedometer as it will show wrong speed and millage.
Old 10-26-10, 06:43 PM
JsGX460
Driver

I got the PVD chrome wheels in today. man, they are SWEET!

I also decided to change the tires out... I went with a Toyo Open Country A/T. It's ALOT beefier of a tire. 285/60/18.

It's about an inch taller, and an inch wider. definitely a more aggressive tread.

Clearance isn't an issue. I put the suspension on low, and turned the wheels both directions - had at least 1-2 inches of additional clearance all the way around.

I have 30 days to try them out. I'm going to evaluate any additional road noise as well as mileage change. I drive a fairly normal route every day, and I know what I have been getting.

But - These definitely feel more 'sure footed'. Won't be an issue in the snow, mud, dirt, etc -- where I do actually use the GX 4wd systems.
Old 10-26-10, 06:59 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You should have your wheel alignment checked.

Koz
Old 10-26-10, 07:18 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the PVD chrome wheels in today. man, they are SWEET!

I also decided to change the tires out... I went with a Toyo Open Country A/T. It's ALOT beefier of a tire. 285/60/18.

It's about an inch taller, and an inch wider. definitely a more aggressive tread.
Can you post a pic?
Old 10-26-10, 07:23 PM
JsGX460
Driver

Will post up some pics when it's light out (probably tomorrow sometime.)

No need to adjust alignment. It's tracking appropriately, and the change per tire is actually less than an inch (according to specs of each tire online). I've been doing wheels and tires on my vehicles for 20 years, and with such a small change, an alignment would not help me much. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll risk it.

But, the look has changed significantly. I'm quite pleased as long as I don't get highway howling and a significant drop in gas mileage.
Old 10-26-10, 08:44 PM
Koz

Will post up some pics when it's light out (probably tomorrow sometime.)

No need to adjust alignment. It's tracking appropriately, and the change per tire is actually less than an inch (according to specs of each tire online). I've been doing wheels and tires on my vehicles for 20 years, and with such a small change, an alignment would not help me much. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll risk it.

But, the look has changed significantly. I'm quite pleased as long as I don't get highway howling and a significant drop in gas mileage.
The 285/60/18 Open Country is 13.4 lbs heavier then the OEM. I'd be interested to know if that much more rotating mass affects the gas mileage. I would think the city mileage is going to be impacted.

Koz
Old 10-26-10, 08:55 PM
JsGX460
Driver

so what is your point?

My tires are 13 pounds heavier, so I'm going to lose 30% of my mileage?

I average about 17-18 right now. I'll give back .5 if need be.

Last edited by JsGX460; 10-26-10 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 10:08 PM
Koz

so what is your point?

My tires are 13 pounds heavier, so I'm going to lose 30% of my mileage?

I average about 17-18 right now. I'll give back .5 if need be.

I don't know about you - but it won't break the bank. You don't buy a 65k SUV if you worry about that. c'mon man.

The stock bridgestone's won't handle what I need them to. They'll suck in the snow. They'll be less than great when I am 'off pavement'.

I went bigger because the stockers look small. I get form and function. At a cost of .5 mpg? I'll take it. It won't hurt my wallet that much. if it hurts any of yours, you should go back to the Kia Sportage.
There is no need to get defensive. It's your vehicle and you can put any tire you want on it. I'm just interested in the affects of a tire that is bigger and heavier on this vehicle. I could care less about how a tire looks, I'm only concerned about performance, functionality and longevity.

Koz
Old 10-27-10, 06:44 AM
JsGX460
Driver

Yeah, I thought I took your comment a little too seriously - which is why I edited my response. Thanks for quoting it though.

If it's any consolation - I still feel that if people who buy a 65k car are worried about a .5-1mpg impact in going to a larger wheel for city driving (I expect highway mileage to increase) -- then the Kia Sportage is a great car for the worry wort to consider.
Old 10-27-10, 09:27 AM
Koz

There are only a few A/T tires that are decent in the snow (Revo2 and Wrangler SA). There is not allot of info on the Toyo. They may not be any better than the HPs that you took off. You have to remember the Toyos are a low mileage tire (they do not have a treadwear warranty) and traction will fall off pretty quick (probably last as long as the HPs). I would think you will get 30K useable miles out of them.

Koz
Old 10-27-10, 09:28 AM
JsGX460
Driver

Put 40 miles on during the morning commute. A mix of highway and city driving.

The ride... definitely a bit heavier, but it seems to help that 'surge' feel if you aren't sure footed on the brakes.

Roads were wet, so obviously some added friction there.

There isn't much additional road noise compared to the other tires. A bit, but not enough to worry about.

Gas mileage didn't increase. Slight decrease as expected for the route I took and traffic.

And of course, pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading tires to something larger?-gxwheels.jpg   Upgrading tires to something larger?-gxtiresfront.jpg   Upgrading tires to something larger?-gxtiresmeat.jpg   Upgrading tires to something larger?-gxtiresprofile.jpg  
Old 10-27-10, 09:42 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Justin, the wheels look great!
Old 10-27-10, 10:12 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the look with the new tires. GX suddenly looks tougher.
Old 10-27-10, 01:05 PM
JsGX460
Driver

Here's a better picture that shows the added width and how much this tire fills in the wheel well.

After about 100 miles of driving, I'm showing about 17-17.1 mpg. more city than highway. I feel like I would have gotten about 17.8-18 with the previous tires. So yes, there is an impact.

Good news, I listed the bridgestones on Craigslist for 250 bucks... sold in 12 hours. Did I not ask enough?
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading tires to something larger?-gxtireswidth.jpg  

Quick Reply: Upgrading tires to something larger?