GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Map Light Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 10:46 PM
cannysage
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Map Light Disassembly

ugg.. trying to replace the map light and the bulb went in all the way inside. I tried to pop it out but it wouldn't budge.. any ideas?
Old 09-13-10, 11:18 PM
cannysage
Rookie

went at it again.. I've never been so clueless with something that should be so simple. it won't budge at all. i couldn't find screws, so I figured that there would be clipping points in the corner... but nothing.. help!
Old 09-14-10, 07:04 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cannysage
ugg.. trying to replace the map light and the bulb went in all the way inside. I tried to pop it out but it wouldn't budge.. any ideas?
The cover will pop off with a flat screw driver or molding remover. The bulb can then be pulled straight out.
Attached Thumbnails Map Light Disassembly-gx-lights-010.jpg  
Old 09-14-10, 01:53 PM
cannysage
Rookie

yeh.. the bulb isn't as simple. it's got a housing. when I tried to pull it out, the housing unscrewed itself and popped all the way in. I've put quite a bit of pressure, but it wouldn't budget all all.
Old 09-14-10, 02:10 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

The housing should not come out at all.

Are you trying to pull the bulb out with your fingers? If the bulb gets slippery, you may want to try using a thin towel or gloves.

For me, the map bulbs came out easily, but the center dome bulbs were difficult to grab.
Old 09-14-10, 02:18 PM
cannysage
Rookie

passenger side was easy but the driver side was somewhat stuck. I've put an electrical tape around it and put it out with a pair of plyers (I couldn't find a rubber band). One simple mistake is causing me a lot of grief. I was able to get the bulb+housing out from the front panel of the roof, but it can only fit from behind the map light housing. this is some intricate stuff. This should've only taken me 5 min, but it's taking me days, lol.
Old 09-14-10, 02:20 PM
cannysage
Rookie

Originally Posted by antonio98
The cover will pop off with a flat screw driver or molding remover. The bulb can then be pulled straight out.
I'm talking about the entire panel - sunglassess compartment, home link, everything.
Old 09-14-10, 02:42 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

I'm talking about the entire panel - sunglassess compartment, home link, everything.
Oh no. That was not necessary.

Here is a link to the DIY thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...iy-thread.html
Old 09-14-10, 02:56 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this may or may not help you i have an '06 GX470 and i put white LEDs everywhere in it. if your 2nd gen one is set up similar to the 1st gen one it should be no problem for you.
Old 09-20-10, 01:24 AM
cannysage
Rookie

I went to hell and back trying to get the unit off. there are clips in the corners and you have to put insane amount of pressure and have to be really careful not to break it. I may have to remove the unit again when I'm ready to hotwire a Valentine One. FYI - Our Mic for the bluetooth is very sensitive. Mine got moved around and I somehow messed it up somewhat. My voice command isn't as accurate and the other party is hearing road noise (previously it was dead quiet and perfect).

I've installed Oznium LED maplights and they're insanely bright. much more so than the wedge bulb type. If you like to be blinded these are a must. for the cabin, I'll go with the regular 194 and possibly blue for the back.
Old 09-20-10, 06:29 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I went to hell and back trying to get the unit off. there are clips in the corners and you have to put insane amount of pressure and have to be really careful not to break it. I may have to remove the unit again when I'm ready to hotwire a Valentine One. FYI - Our Mic for the bluetooth is very sensitive. Mine got moved around and I somehow messed it up somewhat. My voice command isn't as accurate and the other party is hearing road noise (previously it was dead quiet and perfect).

I've installed Oznium LED maplights and they're insanely bright. much more so than the wedge bulb type. If you like to be blinded these are a must. for the cabin, I'll go with the regular 194 and possibly blue for the back.
You have mentioned hotwiring the Valentine. I have done it already. The easiest and fastest way I found was hotwiring it to cigarette lighter in the middle center console. To route the cable the only place where took 5 minutes of extra work was removing the cover for side pillar where the airbag is. Overall install took 30min + 30min for tint (couldn’t get the right cutout to be just perfect size.

I am using suction caps on the windshield at the top to the right of the mirror. Since we don't have the tint line there like my GS350 has. I have put small piece of darkest tint I could find to cover suction caps. From outside it looks like there is piece of something coming from the roof (like mirror has it). If you don't look closely, you will not see it. Also since I have routed wire to cigarette lighter, I was able to put concealed display under the stereo door (the one going up/down from stereo system). It looks great and an easy access to mute the V1 and see where the threat comes from.
Old 09-20-10, 07:25 PM
cannysage
Rookie

Originally Posted by Luke27617
You have mentioned hotwiring the Valentine. I have done it already. The easiest and fastest way I found was hotwiring it to cigarette lighter in the middle center console. To route the cable the only place where took 5 minutes of extra work was removing the cover for side pillar where the airbag is. Overall install took 30min + 30min for tint (couldn’t get the right cutout to be just perfect size.

I am using suction caps on the windshield at the top to the right of the mirror. Since we don't have the tint line there like my GS350 has. I have put small piece of darkest tint I could find to cover suction caps. From outside it looks like there is piece of something coming from the roof (like mirror has it). If you don't look closely, you will not see it. Also since I have routed wire to cigarette lighter, I was able to put concealed display under the stereo door (the one going up/down from stereo system). It looks great and an easy access to mute the V1 and see where the threat comes from.
mid section isn't a bad idea either. Less wire splicing involved. Not sure about the suctions though. I'm going to mount mine right below the mirror. there are mounts that you can get for the mirror stem.
you got some pics of your setup?
Old 09-20-10, 07:45 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

mid section isn't a bad idea either. Less wire splicing involved. Not sure about the suctions though. I'm going to mount mine right below the mirror. there are mounts that you can get for the mirror stem.
you got some pics of your setup?
Here are some pictures I have just took. I am not a big fan of the mirror setup. I have looked at it as well but just doesn't look right and everyone sees that you have a radar detector (including cops). The tint film worked out perfectly as you don't see suction cups and you have to look very closely to see that I have a radar detector. Also connecting to cigarrete lighter involved only couple wire taps.
Attached Thumbnails Map Light Disassembly-img_4026.jpg   Map Light Disassembly-img_4027.jpg   Map Light Disassembly-img_4029.jpg   Map Light Disassembly-img_4030.jpg  
Old 09-21-10, 12:56 AM
cannysage
Rookie

interesting location. I might just have it etched on my rearview mirror. either that have it underneath the mirror. check this out and drool, lol.

btw, no need to extract power from the lighter. you can plug a wire right behind our mirror.
there's also a functional mute button on the etched version (main unit can be installed on the rear section of the roof as well).

Last edited by cannysage; 09-21-10 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 05:43 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

interesting location. I might just have it etched on my rearview mirror. either that have it underneath the mirror. check this out and drool, lol.

btw, no need to extract power from the lighter. you can plug a wire right behind our mirror.
there's also a functional mute button on the etched version (main unit can be installed on the rear section of the roof as well).
The mirror is cool, but still don't like the V1 hanging from the mirror. Forces you to take it off every time you park somehwere or someone may break in to steal it. Also cops and everyone knows that you have one. Are you going to install a mute button close to a steering wheel? Reaching up to mute V1 could be a pain.

Quick Reply: Map Light Disassembly