GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Brake Issues/Problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 02:09 PM
10GS450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Problem With my New 2010 LEXUS GX460 Brakes Problems!

Hey guys,

I purchased My new 2010 LEXUS GX460 Premium 2 weeks ago. Since ive bought it ive noticed at a stoplight that the car slowly moves if i don't put a firm foot on the brake. Yesterday i took it to my local dealer where i bought it from and waited an hour. The Asst Service Manager comes and tells me that their is definitely a problem and he won't know until next week on how to resolve the problem. My car has 800 Miles on it. They Arrange a loaner car for me a 2004 lexus rx330 with (70,000 miles) on it. Im "under the age of 21" so that is all they said they could provide me.
I go outside and look at this loaner and their was peeling paint, ripped leather, smell of smoke inside. He said he can't give me corporate lexus owned vehicles because of insurance. I told the service manager to find me a brand New GX460 to drive if he can't provide a decent loaner. I then go to my salesman and he gives me his demo (2010 Lexus RX350 with 5,500 miles) better, but i still miss my GX!

I can't believe they had the ***** to give me a POS loaner car! They should have found this problem during PDI.

Just checking to see if anyone else has this problem
Old 09-12-10, 02:47 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, I have this same problem and so does everyone else. My dealer says it's normal. Let us know what they come up with. I'm surprised they told you something is wrong. I also think it's not normal, but dealers are telling everyone it's normal. I've never owned a vehicle that's done this before...
Old 09-12-10, 03:14 PM
10GS450h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
Yeah, I have this same problem and so does everyone else. My dealer says it's normal. Let us know what they come up with. I'm surprised they told you something is wrong. I also think it's not normal, but dealers are telling everyone it's normal. I've never owned a vehicle that's done this before...
Im also suprised they said it wasn't normal.....This is really dissapointing that a car that costs $65k has such crappy brakes. They told me that i should be done by next week so i will update you guys as soon as i can.
Old 09-12-10, 06:27 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I've read that 460's brakes have been designed and engineered to have a little more travel for better off-roading performance. They also said because of this you have to hold the brake firmer than normal at a stop.

Koz
Old 09-12-10, 06:41 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

fyi, there is a bit more pedal travel than other suvs, could be do to brake by wire systems, but no problem with mine. pedal doesnt go all the way to floor though, probably 1/3 of way down to hold it at idle.

how far down did the pedal go?
another question, whats a kid like you doing with a gx, let alone all those other lexi on your signature?
Old 09-12-10, 08:25 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2004 and 2006 4runner also moved forward if not pressed firmly the brake. I am pretty sure it is not a problem and something very helpful when you off road. Go to a construction site and try.
Old 09-12-10, 10:25 PM
cannysage
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're 21 and you've bought 65k car? what does your dad do?
Old 09-13-10, 08:08 AM
10GS450h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
fyi, there is a bit more pedal travel than other suvs, could be do to brake by wire systems, but no problem with mine. pedal doesnt go all the way to floor though, probably 1/3 of way down to hold it at idle.

how far down did the pedal go?
another question, whats a kid like you doing with a gx, let alone all those other lexi on your signature?
It slowly creeps up if you don't hold the brake pedal firmly. As for the cars. Yes the '10 GS450h and the '10 GX460 are mine the rest belong to people in my family. I Originally had the intent to buy a IS-F instead of the GX460 but they didn't have any instock.
Old 09-20-10, 01:33 PM
NoNameDFW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 10GS450h
Hey guys,

I purchased My new 2010 LEXUS GX460 Premium 2 weeks ago. Since ive bought it ive noticed at a stoplight that the car slowly moves if i don't put a firm foot on the brake. Yesterday i took it to my local dealer where i bought it from and waited an hour. The Asst Service Manager comes and tells me that their is definitely a problem and he won't know until next week on how to resolve the problem. My car has 800 Miles on it. They Arrange a loaner car for me a 2004 lexus rx330 with (70,000 miles) on it. Im "under the age of 21" so that is all they said they could provide me.
I go outside and look at this loaner and their was peeling paint, ripped leather, smell of smoke inside. He said he can't give me corporate lexus owned vehicles because of insurance. I told the service manager to find me a brand New GX460 to drive if he can't provide a decent loaner. I then go to my salesman and he gives me his demo (2010 Lexus RX350 with 5,500 miles) better, but i still miss my GX!

I can't believe they had the ***** to give me a POS loaner car! They should have found this problem during PDI.

Just checking to see if anyone else has this problem
Mind if I ask which dealership you used? We have had mixed results at best with ours as well.
Old 09-20-10, 07:32 PM
cannysage
Rookie

i've always thought this was normal with automatic cars. Possibly our brake pads are not that soft and it doesn't grip well while stopped. soft pads will wear out very quickly, especially on heavy cars like the gx and ohter suvs, so you don't neccesarily want pads that are too soft.
Old 09-21-10, 07:03 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does EXACTLY the same thing and I hate it. Interestingly, my 2001 4runner does not do it at all. In fact, you can take your foot off the brake at a red light and it does not move forward. I'd be VERY interested in hearing if there's a fix bc I hate the fact that I have to jam my foot on the brake to keep it from rolling. I too would like to know what dealer you went to that agreed it was a problem!
Old 09-24-10, 02:48 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

same problem here with my 2010 gx460.... 1k miles.. driving and realized it was creeping forward.. i was like ohh ****.. had to press on the brakes even harder then i usually do on my rx 330 gs 350
Old 09-24-10, 06:49 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX
Mine does EXACTLY the same thing and I hate it. Interestingly, my 2001 4runner does not do it at all. In fact, you can take your foot off the brake at a red light and it does not move forward. I'd be VERY interested in hearing if there's a fix bc I hate the fact that I have to jam my foot on the brake to keep it from rolling. I too would like to know what dealer you went to that agreed it was a problem!
Personally I don't think there is a problem. Both my 2004 and 2006 4Runner was doing this. It was explained to me that it was especially designed to move forward for off-roading (you don't over power while crowling over terain, etc.). Since most of us will never take the car off-road, find the option less apealing. Maybe I am used to it, or just always press hard on the breaks and it was never an issue for me.
Old 09-25-10, 02:38 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is probably a dumb question but what the heck. .. . what if the idol was lowered? That would mess everything up, right? It just seems like it's not necessarily the brake, but the idol seems high. It wants to GOGOGO. Thoughts?
Old 09-25-10, 08:04 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX
This is probably a dumb question but what the heck. .. . what if the idol was lowered? That would mess everything up, right? It just seems like it's not necessarily the brake, but the idol seems high. It wants to GOGOGO. Thoughts?
dont think you could do that here. entire truck is hooked up to computer in ways none here even realize. What do you think is going on when "CHECKING" shows up when you start the truck? Fiddle with anything, and youre liable to run in trouble

Quick Reply: Brake Issues/Problems/Questions