Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Problem With my New 2010 LEXUS GX460 Brakes Problems!

Old 08-18-13, 06:25 PM   #46
akfd
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

The brakes are more than powerful for the GX; I nearly got T-boned by a delivery truck a few weeks ago, and the GX stopped quicker than my old ES300!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
akfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 07:08 PM   #47
Eppieguy
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfd View Post
The brakes are more than powerful for the GX; I nearly got T-boned by a delivery truck a few weeks ago, and the GX stopped quicker than my old ES300!
The pedal goes down too far and needs too much pressure to hold at a stop. Brakes do work well once you get used to them.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 08:26 PM   #48
SaniDel
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShanks View Post
I am convinced we bought the wrong vehicle and I have told my dealer just that.

If Lexus would offer me a full rebate less 8000 miles for the car I would take it in a shot.
Would you accept full credit for your purchase less 8,000 miles for a trade on a new GX? No dealership will write you a check because you bought the wrong vehicle, but a Lexus dealership will try very hard to keep you as a customer, especially if in the process they address your concern.

However, if you are convinced that the GX is the wrong vehicle for you and you could not be satisfied with another GX ... well, then you own the problem as there is nothing Lexus can do to satisfy you.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Our local Lexus dealership is offering 120% of "blue book value" for used GX so they have inventory this winter when demand picks up.
SaniDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 07:12 AM   #49
Koz

As most have stated, the GX's brakes need a little time to get used to. The problem is, if you regularly drive a different car, it will be harder to get used to. In time, it will not be an issue. What can help is installing HP rotors and different pads. Here is my set-up and it has improved the brake feel. I would recommend also replacing the rubber OEM brake lines (to the calipers) with stainless steel or Kevlar reinforced lines.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/7610048-post83.html

Koz
Old 08-19-13, 08:09 AM   #50
SaniDel
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
As most have stated, the GX's brakes need a little time to get used to. The problem is, if you regularly drive a different car, it will be harder to get used to. In time, it will not be an issue.
Good point, Koz. As our 2010 GX 460 is our only vehicle and we have driven no other vehicle for almost four years, my wife and I are thoroughly adapted. Much the way that dog owners don't hear the barking and cigarette smokers don't smell the stench, we don't see a problem. ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I predict that when we eventually drive a different vehicle, we will "stand it on its nose" until we learn NOT to press so hard on the brake pedal.
SaniDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 09:02 AM   #51
DShanks
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus GX460 break problem

I have never questioned the ability of the GX460 to stop when the brakes are applied, especially in an emergeny stop. The ABS works just fine. My dealer was researching this problem from that point also. I told him it is not the ability to stop, it is the pedal travel and creeping at idle that is the problem. We have a 2002 Lexus SC430 and a 2007 Chevy truck neither of which has this problem. We drive all 3 vehicles regularily so to say we must get used to the GX460 brakes by only driving it is not an option. The breaks on the GX are just not as progressive during the pedal travel as any other vehickle we have owned. While we can probably get used to this (although we have not in the last 8000 mi) the idle creeping is going to cause an accident. The idea of replacing the rotors, pads, and break lines is a good idea. I will bring this up to my dealer. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by DShanks; 08-19-13 at 04:38 PM..
DShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 09:28 AM   #52
Koz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShanks View Post
I have never questioned the ability of the GX460 to stop when the breaks are applied, especially in an emergeny stop. The ABS works just fine. My dealer was researching this problem from that point also. I told him it is not the ability to stop, it is the pedal travel and creeping at idle that is the problem. We have a 2002 Lexus SC430 and a 2007 Chevy truck neither of which has this problem. We drive all 3 vehicles regularily so to say we must get used to the GX460 breaks by only driving it is not an option. The breaks on the GX are just not as progressive during the pedal travel as any other vehickle we have owned. While we can probably get used to this (although we have not in the last 8000 mi) the idle creeping is going to cause an accident. The idea of replacing the rotors, pads, and break lines is a good idea. I will bring this up to my dealer. Thanks for the input.
I did not change the brakes and rotors because of the brake pedal feel. I changed these parts because I overheated the system when I was towed a travel trailer with the brake controller set to low. With that said, the changes did create a better pedal feel. Again, if you give the OEM brakes some time, you forget about this issue. This really is just a matter of compensating for the difference in the brake pedal feel. When I drive my IS (after driving the GX for a period) I tend to put too much braking in the initial bite when I first hit the brakes. Does that mean the brakes are too sensitive? Give it more time and you will not notice the brake feel.

Koz
Old 08-19-13, 11:04 AM   #53
Eppieguy
Lead Lap

My Tahoe and my C6 Corvette have much less travel on the brake pedal than the GX does, but again you'll get used to it, it's the way they all are and if there was really an issue there would be a safety recall on them.
Old 08-19-13, 12:35 PM   #54
patgilm
Lead Lap

I wouldn't expect a safety recall but a TSIB would be nice.
2013 GTR Premium White/Black
1997 Viper GTS Blue/White Stripes (sold)

Last edited by patgilm; 08-19-13 at 09:07 PM..
patgilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 12:39 PM   #55
Koz

This is the way Toyota designed the brakes. I had the same brake feel in my 05 Limited 4Runner.

Koz
Old 08-19-13, 04:51 PM   #56
DShanks
Driver School Candidate

Default GX460 Brake problem

I can agree that Toyota may have designed it this way and I can also agree that if this is the case it will take us more time to get used to the lack of progressive braking (especially since we probably drive the Chevy truck the most) BUT I cnnot believe that Toyota designed the GX460 (and apparanlty others) to creep at idle after a stop. While the pedal travel probably does not require a saftey recall the fact that the car creeps at idle does. As a result of testing I believe the creeping is a result of increased idle caused by the AC compressor. The speed of the creep is a function of both how much foot pressure it took to stop the car initially and the incline or decline it may be on. The worst scenario is the very slow creep because the driver does not realize it until the car is too close to the car in front. Several other people have driven our GX460 and they all complain about the same thing. How do I get this fixed if it is "normal".
DShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 07:42 PM   #57
Eppieguy
Lead Lap

We have 2 company GS350's , 2007 and 2010, both creep while at a stop if you're not careful. I've just started putting the GX in neutral at traffic lights, it's a habit now. I always wondered why the people who drove the GS cars at my office put them in natural at traffic lights, now I know why.
Old 04-13-14, 08:28 AM   #58
dstock
Driver School Candidate

I would suggest you have the dealer check the brake booster. If it's slightly leaking it would lead to increased 'force' required by you to stop but it doesn't necessarily mean that the car would take longer to stop. Like power steering. Without it it is harder to steer but the car can still make all the same turns with or with out it.
dstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 12:28 PM   #59
structural
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
I've read that 460's brakes have been designed and engineered to have a little more travel for better off-roading performance. They also said because of this you have to hold the brake firmer than normal at a stop.

Koz
That Lexus trying to coverup an underdesigned brake system. I am the originator of this thread. I just turned in that 2010 GX for a 2014 GX had what a diference. The Calipers are twice the size of the 2010 and it stops on a dime! It also dosen't creep at lights anymore.

DO BELEIVE THE HYPE...
structural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:16 PM   #60
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by structural View Post
That Lexus trying to coverup an underdesigned brake system. I am the originator of this thread. I just turned in that 2010 GX for a 2014 GX had what a diference. The Calipers are twice the size of the 2010 and it stops on a dime! It also dosen't creep at lights anymore.

DO BELEIVE THE HYPE...
thats totally bogus.
your front pistons and calipers are the same size going from a 2010 to 2014 and is shared among other toyota vehicles including 4runner. I didnt check the rears but that doesnt provide the major stopping power.
They may have a different brake booster or master cylinder system installed that would improve braking dynamics.

heres a diagram of front brakes. same parts for 2010-2014
Attached Images

2014 GX 460 Luxury - Starfire Pearl - Sepia - Driver support.

Last edited by T4Fun; 04-16-14 at 09:19 PM..
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:16 PM