Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Problem With my New 2010 LEXUS GX460 Brakes Problems!

Old 03-23-11, 07:55 AM   #31
bababooey9
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
The GX will idle at 550 rpm (when it is at operating temp) and you don't need very much pressure to keep it stopped. When moving the brakes work perfectly! The problem is when the engine is first started and is running at fast idle (a little over 1000rpm). This is normal. The other issue with starting on a hill is also normal, after owning the vehicle for some time you will not even notice it. If the hill start bothers people so much, all they have to do is hold the brake with their left foot and donít let the vehicle roll back. Trust me when I say, the hill start assist could save you and your vehicle under the right conditions (slippery surface on a hill, on or off road). Remember when ABS first came out, so many people said something is wrong and it is dangerous. Then it was VSC, Oh My God the system cut the engine OFF! These systems could SAVE your life!

Koz
im not going to dispute what you are saying Koz. but I am dealing with a 2010 GX, bought it first month out. I recently test drove a 2011 GX and the brakes are alot better. I think this is an issue that has been resolved in the newer GX's. Its my fault for buying a new model vehicle out of the gate.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
bababooey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:27 AM   #32
akfd
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey9 View Post
im not going to dispute what you are saying Koz. but I am dealing with a 2010 GX, bought it first month out. I recently test drove a 2011 GX and the brakes are alot better. I think this is an issue that has been resolved in the newer GX's. Its my fault for buying a new model vehicle out of the gate.
Don't worry about the brakes, they are more than powerful for real emergency situations, as I've encountered a while back; the truck will stop on a dime!
akfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 11:21 AM   #33
Koz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey9 View Post
The brake over-ride system was added in 2011 but I don't think that would make a difference. The brakes seem to work just like my 05 Limited T4R.

Koz
Old 03-28-11, 07:48 AM   #34
structural
Driver School Candidate

I got my GX back and they able to reduce the play in the brakes a bit, but they still need a good amount of pressure to keep the truck stationary at a light. I will wait to see how the brakes are on the 2012 model and consider upgrading. The dealer offered to put me in a new 2011 model, but when I test drove it still had the same brake issue, maybe 2012 will have it fixed.

I am curious how many of you actually take you SUV off roading? I have owned 2 GX470's, an 04' and 07' and never been off roading.

Also I have to say I miss my GX470, it had no issues with the brakes and the acceleration/transmission was much better than the GX460.

I am part of the Lexus Advisory Board and have express these issues with the new GX. I hope it will make a difference in the 2012 model.
structural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 08:59 AM   #35
structural
Driver School Candidate

I do notice that if I pump the brakes a few time, it improve the braking and holding power at a stop
Old 03-28-11, 03:32 PM   #36
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by structural View Post
I got my GX back and they able to reduce the play in the brakes a bit, but they still need a good amount of pressure to keep the truck stationary at a light. I will wait to see how the brakes are on the 2012 model and consider upgrading. The dealer offered to put me in a new 2011 model, but when I test drove it still had the same brake issue, maybe 2012 will have it fixed.

I am curious how many of you actually take you SUV off roading? I have owned 2 GX470's, an 04' and 07' and never been off roading.

Also I have to say I miss my GX470, it had no issues with the brakes and the acceleration/transmission was much better than the GX460.

I am part of the Lexus Advisory Board and have express these issues with the new GX. I hope it will make a difference in the 2012 model.
i think you picked the wrong car... GX has longer pedal travel so you can dose pedal application better... If that bothers you, maybe get RX, it has a lot more sensitive brakes.
Old 03-28-11, 03:34 PM   #37
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic

get a hybrid and definitely no creep :-)
Old 04-04-11, 07:50 AM   #38
structural
Driver School Candidate

Sir,

We have had 2 GX470 without any issues. The brakes were just fine, the transmission was just fine.
Old 04-04-11, 11:01 AM   #39
Koz

Now there is a transmission problem, please.

Koz
Old 08-17-13, 01:28 PM   #40
DShanks
Driver School Candidate

Angry Lexus GX460 Break problems

I purchased my 2012 GX2012 in Nov 2012 and immediately noticed that the brakes were different than any other Lexus I owned (since 1990). I have to push much farther on the brake pedal before the car even begins to stop which gives us cause for some anxiety at each stop, especially a quick stop. The car also creeps forward after it is stopped. I did some tests on the creeping and found that if the AC compressor is not running and you stop the car the idle speed reading is 600 rpm. If while stopped the compressor starts the idle speed increases to about 850 rpm after which the car begins to creep (sometimes rapidly). On the other had if the compressor is running at the time you stop the car (idle speed 850 rpm) it will not creep when the compressor stops (idle speed reduces to 600 rpm) and then increases again when the compressor starts. This may be due to the need for increased foot pressure to stop the car when the compressor is running. Not sure. The fact is I believe this is a dangerous condition that needs to be repaired before someone unknowingly creeps into the car in front of them. I also believe that that extended pedal travel is dangerous in that it takes longer to stop the car than it should thus creating a possible accident scenario. I have complained about this to our Dealer (Lexus of Naperville) but they say it is normal. Having nearly had 3 accidents because of the brakes on this car and having had other Lexus SUV’s in the past for comparison, I don’t agree with "normal". Who do I contact to get this info to someone at Lexus who cares?

Last edited by DShanks; 08-19-13 at 04:32 PM..
DShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-13, 05:24 PM   #41
Craig B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShanks View Post
I purchased my 2012 GX2012 in Nov 2012 and immediately noticed that the breaks were different than any other Lexus I owned (since 1990). I have to push much farther on the break pedal before the car even begins to stop which gives us cause for some anxiety at each stop, especially a quick stop. The car also creeps forward after it is stopped. I did some tests on the creeping and found that if the AC compressor is not running and you stop the car the idle speed reading is 600 rpm. If while stopped the compressor starts the idle speed increases to about 850 rpm after which the car begins to creep (sometimes rapidly). On the other had if the compressor is running at the time you stop the car (idle speed 850 rpm) it will not creep when the compressor stops (idle speed reduces to 600 rpm) and then increases again when the compressor starts. This may be due to the need for increased foot pressure to stop the car when the compressor is running. Not sure. The fact is I believe this is a dangerous condition that needs to be repaired before someone unknowingly creeps into the car in front of them. I also believe that that extended pedal travel is dangerous in that it takes longer to stop the car than it should thus creating a possible accident scenario. I have complained about this to our Dealer (Lexus of Naperville) but they say it is normal. Having nearly had 3 accidents because of the breaks on this car and having had other Lexus SUVís in the past for comparison, I donít agree with "normal". Who do I contact to get this info to someone at Lexus who cares?
You could ask for a Lexus district service manager to inspect your vehicle. You can also call 1-800-25-Lexus and ask them to send someone to inspect your vehicle. It would be great if you could make an appt. and be there when it's inspected.

2007 LS 460
2014 GX 460 Luxury
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-13, 07:10 PM   #42
SaniDel
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
You could ask for a Lexus district service manager to inspect your vehicle. You can also call 1-800-25-Lexus and ask them to send someone to inspect your vehicle. It would be great if you could make an appt. and be there when it's inspected.
I agree with Craig's advice about how to deal with a problem, but I don't believe that there is a problem.

This is another "beat a dead horse" thread that we have discussed since 2010 and the consensus, although not unanimous ... is "get used to it" as that is how the GX 460 was designed. We've all experienced that uneasy feeling at a stop that our vehicle is creeping, but it's simple to ... well, stop ... stand on the brake pedal! One of our forum members reported what happens if you put a GX 460 in gear and take your foot off the brake on level ground ... if I recall right it accelerated, upshifted and eventually reached about 20MPH!

If that is unacceptable to you, then you bought the wrong vehicle, but as it isn't a defect there is no reason why you should feel stuck with your choice. Our dealership is pleading for GX 460s to have on their lot for the winter and will offer 120% of "blue book value".
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. If you have any doubt of the GX's ability to stop quickly, stand on the brakes while it is moving ...
SaniDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-13, 09:15 PM   #43
patgilm
Lead Lap

While it may not be a defect it is definitely a nuisance and since it is my wife's truck and she is all of a buck ten, it is hard for her at lights and in traffic every day. We definitely bought the right truck for us and our 08 GX470 did not have this issue so not sure why the GX460 has to be this way. We have been looking at other SUVs because of this but none offer what the GX does in spite of the brake issue. If the '14 does not have this issue we will trade ours in in a heartbeat.

With all that said, we just went on vacation today and drove three hours and the GX was so smooth and quiet, it was great.
2013 GTR Premium White/Black
1997 Viper GTS Blue/White Stripes (sold)
patgilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 04:16 PM   #44
DShanks
Driver School Candidate

Default GX460 break problem

I am convinced we bought the wrong vehicle and I have told my dealer just that. My problem is we bought the vehicle based on owning a 2005 GX470 that was probably the best car I have ever owned. Since it did not have the brake problem and the dealer never mentioned that the GX460 did, we trusted that an upgrade to the Lexus GX series would be just that, an upgrade. I have nothing bad to say about the GX460 other than the brakes. It rides well, is quiet, the features are great, etc but the brakes in my mind, after owning it for 8000 miles, are dangerous. I have had the car in 3 times for this problem and as you say the dealer says it is normal. I made sure that Lexus has this documented. I see now that I am not the only one that is concerned over this "normal" problem. Lexus had a good thing going with the GX470 not sure what the reason was for messing it up. If Lexus would offer me a full rebate less 8000 miles for the car I would take it in a shot. Since they won't I am stuck with it for a while. I am a victim of buyer beware on this one. Live and learn. At least now when I go to another dealer for my next car I will know to test the brakes before I buy.

Last edited by DShanks; 08-19-13 at 04:34 PM..
DShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 04:46 PM   #45
patgilm
Lead Lap

I have test driven some others SUVs recently and I do make sure the brakes don't have the same issue and none of the ones i drove did. The problem is once you start adding the pluses and minuses of each SUV in the GX's price range, nothing beats the GX all around for $60k IMO. You may have bought the wrong vehicle if you loved your old GX but other than that what would the right vehicle be?
2013 GTR Premium White/Black
1997 Viper GTS Blue/White Stripes (sold)
patgilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 04:46 PM