Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Problem With my New 2010 LEXUS GX460 Brakes Problems!

Old 09-26-10, 09:47 AM   #16
Koz
Trader Score: (0)

The idle can not be adjusted.

I don't have my truck yet but I would think this is the same way my T4R's worked. It takes a little getting used to, but in time, you will not even be thinking about it.

Koz
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 10-10-10, 02:01 PM   #17
wannaGX
Driver

Default "Brake Problem" question

I was going to post on the "brake problem" thread to ask the OP what his dealer said about the brake issue (that you have to have a heavy foot on the brake to prevent it from rolling forward from a stop) and it said the thread was closed?!? Why is the thread closed and what did the dealer say??
wannaGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 11:37 AM   #18
structural
Driver School Candidate

I have same issue with my brakes on my 2010 GX460, I can't believe how must worst the brake are then my old 2007 GX470. I also have to really appy a lot of pressure to maintian a stationary position.

What happened to the thread I started last week?
structural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 07:01 PM   #19
Capirato
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to Capirato

It's just a matter of time when I will hit the car in front of me. Wonder what can be done with the creeping of the GX.

~ Cap
'06 MINI S | Pepper White
Capirato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 07:28 PM   #20
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver

is pedal being depressed 1/3rd of way, 1/2 of way, 2/3 of way, all the way to hold your gx?
mine i figure is probably 1/3-1/2 way. but not worried, it will stop when u need to . Ive had to slam the brakes a few times and trust me it stops

2014 GX 460 Luxury - Starfire Pearl - Sepia - Driver support.
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 08:33 PM   #21
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)

I don't mind that truck moves forward. I have been told that I drive with a left foot, so looks like I break too. It behaves exactly the same way as 2006 4Runner I had. Also driving position may make a difference. If you have leg straight when pressing the break, moving seat forward to have an angle may help (less effort to press).
I have done light off roading last weekend when we went to ATV park and the moving forward was very helpful since I don't have Premium with crawl control.
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 09:34 PM   #22
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Trader Score: (2)

profile.php?id=100001050339562 @DaveGS4 DaveGS4 The Real DaveGS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaGX View Post
I was going to post on the "brake problem" thread to ask the OP what his dealer said about the brake issue (that you have to have a heavy foot on the brake to prevent it from rolling forward from a stop) and it said the thread was closed?!? Why is the thread closed and what did the dealer say??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaGX View Post
I've re-opened and merged your thread.

The OP will not be responding due to some serious issues outside of this discussion (which is why the thread was closed, nothing to do with the topic), but I've fixed it so others may respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by structural View Post
What happened to the thread I started last week?
It's right where you left it . Just click on your username or use search to find your own threads.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-s...abs-fails.html

*** Click image for team info! ***

LS430 Ultra * PCS * ML * Rear Fridge * Massaging and Reclining Rear Seats * Vaistech SL-I * Coastal Lockpick

Tundra SR5 5.7 and BMW E36 M3/4 track car (wife's)

** Want to put your PC to good use every night?** Click here to join the Club Lexus Folding Team and help find a cure for cancer and other diseases. May the force be with you.
DaveGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 12:23 PM   #23
structural
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone been in a emergency braking situation and felt that the ABS kick in to soon? and when you lifted your foot off the brake there was a 1 sec or so delay in the brakes disengaging?
I also noticed my car creeps forward unless I am standing on the brake. My 2010 GX460 is in the shop now, I am having the brakes looked for the above reason, and for the huge play in the brake pedal, you have to push a good 1" to 2" before you get any braking. They gave me a 10' RX350 and when I left the dealership I almost had an accident because the brake engage right away and I stop short, lucky no one was behind me.

I can't believe that the brakes are right, having that much play in them. I have never driven a car with brakes like that. There isn't any other Lexus model with those kind of brakes.

How can you say that the brake play is for off-road use?
structural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 01:25 PM   #24
bababooey9
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by structural View Post
Has anyone been in a emergency braking situation and felt that the ABS kick in to soon? and when you lifted your foot off the brake there was a 1 sec or so delay in the brakes disengaging?
I also noticed my car creeps forward unless I am standing on the brake. My 2010 GX460 is in the shop now, I am having the brakes looked for the above reason, and for the huge play in the brake pedal, you have to push a good 1" to 2" before you get any braking. They gave me a 10' RX350 and when I left the dealership I almost had an accident because the brake engage right away and I stop short, lucky no one was behind me.

I can't believe that the brakes are right, having that much play in them. I have never driven a car with brakes like that. There isn't any other Lexus model with those kind of brakes.

How can you say that the brake play is for off-road use?
I had the same problem as you with the brakes. Im my opinion, there is a problem with the brakes and is a very serious safety hazard. to make a long story short..I had my Lexus checked out by corporate. They said the brakes were working fine and there is nothing they can do to fix them. When I picked the car up after a couple weeks in the shop....the brakes were fixed! they definitely feel different. im not exactly sure what they did...maybe raised the brake pedal higher slightly and/or fixed the high idle. push your dealer to contact corporate to have them check out the car. They know about the brake problem, there have been many complaints to lexus about this. let me know how it goes. good luck!
bababooey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 02:39 PM   #25
Koz

The brakes work just like the T4R and stop perfectly. They are designed to avoid grabbing when off road.

Koz
Old 03-21-11, 04:04 PM   #26
akfd
Pole Position

I've had to do an emergency braking a while back, a bunch of teenager had cut me off while doing 50mph on a bridge. I stomped on the brake pedal HARD, and the ABS had kicked in. No problem at all, the truck was rock solid, and no skidding whatsoever. My friend thought it was going to be a catastrophe, because our GX was really big compared to the little Civic hatchback the teenager was driving; had I rear-ended the Civic, probably my friend and I wouldn't be hurt that badly, but the guy in front would be quite badly injured. Gotta thank the GX for the great protection its giving!
akfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 07:26 AM   #27
bababooey9
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
The brakes work just like the T4R and stop perfectly. They are designed to avoid grabbing when off road.

Koz
That might be your opinion..but in my opinion the brakes are weak at best. Lets assume your off road comment is correct..the brakes were designed for that use...tell me honestly, how many buyers of a Lexus are using it for off road use?? Im going to take a guess not too many. That is not the target audience of a Lexus. My wife drives the truck with my 2 kids in the back. I want to make sure the brakes are tight (not spongy) and stopping the truck properly. i.e. not having to put all your body weight on the brakes to keep it stopped at a red light..and sometimes when you lift your foot off the brake slightly the truck lunges forward. having said all that, my brakes were "fixed". they are alot better now, although not as precise as i'd like them to be. tonight i drop the vehicle off for service. 1) the ABS failure light problem that is highlighted on this board and 2) the clicking noise that occurs when accelerating from a stopped position on a hill.
Old 03-22-11, 08:43 AM   #28
gs400jon
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey9 View Post
That might be your opinion..but in my opinion the brakes are weak at best. Lets assume your off road comment is correct..the brakes were designed for that use...tell me honestly, how many buyers of a Lexus are using it for off road use?? Im going to take a guess not too many. That is not the target audience of a Lexus. My wife drives the truck with my 2 kids in the back. I want to make sure the brakes are tight (not spongy) and stopping the truck properly. i.e. not having to put all your body weight on the brakes to keep it stopped at a red light..and sometimes when you lift your foot off the brake slightly the truck lunges forward. having said all that, my brakes were "fixed". they are alot better now, although not as precise as i'd like them to be. tonight i drop the vehicle off for service. 1) the ABS failure light problem that is highlighted on this board and 2) the clicking noise that occurs when accelerating from a stopped position on a hill.
What was the "fix" that improved the braking? I was hoping the brakes would have been improved between my previous 2004 and 2010 but they feel the same. A friend's X5's brakes are great but the ride is so harsh/jarring.
gs400jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 10:10 AM   #29
bababooey9
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs400jon View Post
What was the "fix" that improved the braking? I was hoping the brakes would have been improved between my previous 2004 and 2010 but they feel the same. A friend's X5's brakes are great but the ride is so harsh/jarring.
I do not know what the fix was. The dealer and company claims nothing was done to the brakes. but i can tell you the car was at the dealership for over 2 weeks being looked at. when i got it back, the brakes felt different and better. tell your dealership you want corporate to look at the car. good luck!
Old 03-23-11, 05:08 AM   #30
Koz

The GX will idle at 550 rpm (when it is at operating temp) and you don't need very much pressure to keep it stopped. When moving the brakes work perfectly! The problem is when the engine is first started and is running at fast idle (a little over 1000rpm). This is normal. The other issue with starting on a hill is also normal, after owning the vehicle for some time you will not even notice it. If the hill start bothers people so much, all they have to do is hold the brake with their left foot and don’t let the vehicle roll back. Trust me when I say, the hill start assist could save you and your vehicle under the right conditions (slippery surface on a hill, on or off road). Remember when ABS first came out, so many people said something is wrong and it is dangerous. Then it was VSC, Oh My God the system cut the engine OFF! These systems could SAVE your life!

Koz
Old 03-23-11, 05:08 AM

Tags
2010, 460, brake, brakes, gx, gx460, hate, idle, lexus, mica, problems, recall, red, sepia, soft