GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fog Lights as DRL

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 05:54 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Fog Lights as DRL

I want to do a new mod. DRL (daytime running lights) are ugly. Converting them to LEDs will prevent from using high beams. Also if you make them too bright, turn signals will be hard to see.

I have changed fog lights to 5k LEDs which look great. Would like to run fog lights as DRL. Unfortunetely the only way to turn on the fog lights is by turning low beams.

I have searched the web but have not found anything specific. Any ideas from anyone who has some electrical experience or better web searching abilities. Also my understanding is that law limites how many lights can be turn on at the same time which is four which may complicate the process.
Old 07-27-10, 06:01 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i 'll be adding philips drls to the grilles if i ever get a chance. Very easy to do. Just have to splice one side of the high beams, then channel that to a led driver, then channnel the + and - leads into the system, then done. There is no way that i know of disconnecting the current drls without affecting the high beam function, so I will be stuck with 2 sets of drls, but the leds will look way cool..

as for the fogs, those have to go also. Will be placing hella microxenons on those. Again, if i get time. Involved process and front bumper cover has to come off, which is also connected to parking sensors and headlamp cleaners, so dont know what to expect there. These bumper covers are surprising just slapped on with a few plastic connectors and bolts.

Luke if you want the Phillips drls, i can sell them to you. I paid 230 and theyre only available in UK and europe. I dont think i will get around to doing them, here is a link
http://www.carbulbsdirect.com/produc...l.asp?prod=162

Last edited by T4Fun; 07-27-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 06:08 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i 'll be adding philips drls to the grilles if i ever get a chance. Very easy to do. Just have to splice one side of the high beams, then channel that to a led driver, then channnel the + and - leads into the system, then done. There is no way that i know of disconnecting the current drls without affecting the high beam function, so I will be stuck with 2 sets of drls, but the leds will look way cool..

as for the fogs, those have to go also. Will be placing hella microxenons on those. Again, if i get time. Involved process and front bumper cover has to come off, which is also connected to parking sensors and headlamp cleaners, so dont know what to expect there. These bumper covers are surprising just slapped on with a few plastic connectors and bolts.
I have disabled the factory DRL. I was thinking about installing third party LEDs made by Hella but I am worried that it may take more work than I want to spend. My fogs looks great like the aftermarket so was thinking that this would work great too if I can make them work as DRL.

Here are the Hella I am looking at. The site has install instructions as well.

http://www.daytime-running-light.com/tfl/index_uk.html

I like those since they blend in nicely and all you have is drill 5 holes for LEDs on each side.

Which Philips were you thinking about?
Old 07-27-10, 06:30 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Luke27617
I have disabled the factory DRL. I was thinking about installing third party LEDs made by Hella but I am worried that it may take more work than I want to spend. My fogs looks great like the aftermarket so was thinking that this would work great too if I can make them work as DRL.

Here are the Hella I am looking at. The site has install instructions as well.

http://www.daytime-running-light.com/tfl/index_uk.html

I like those since they blend in nicely and all you have is drill 5 holes for LEDs on each side.

Which Philips were you thinking about?
see my link above. the hella's are ok, but i believe the philips are better.

check this out on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbCzVVbaxiw
Old 07-27-10, 06:42 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

see my link above. the hella's are ok, but i believe the philips are better.

check this out on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbCzVVbaxiw
Thanks for the offer, but I will pass. I am looking for a more discret look when they are off and as well shorter solution. Those Philips are too long to fit in the solid plastic piece next to fog lights. Even the Hella could be a little too much so that is why I am thinking how to convert fogs into DRL. My fogs provide the same effect and color as those after market DRL.
Old 07-28-10, 08:19 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

h
Originally Posted by Capirato
About in 1996 when DRLs first appeared on the scene, I bought a kit which I installed on a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. You could make any light a DRL. I chose the low beams.

During the day when the car was running, the low beams would come on at a dimmer state. At night they came on at full brightness when the lights were turned on.

I would think that if that kit was still available, you could disable the factory DRLs and make the Fog Lights your new DRLs.

I think I bought the kit at Pep Boys.

~ Cap
Thanks for the tip! For sure will check the Pep Boys.

Disabling factory DRL is not a problem as you can do this in maintence menu on Nav. Making fog lights working independent as Low Beam is my challenge. Would like them to come on automatically when I turn on the car and turn off when you flash high beam (required by law that way no more than 4 lights are on at the same time).
Old 07-28-10, 01:57 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

I've ordered the Daytime Running Lights Conversion Kit by Web Electric Products, from High Horse Performance, Inc.

I will now have to decide whether to make the Turn Signals the DRLs or the Fog Lights.

I'll let you know how it works out.

~ Cap
Please post DIY. This could be a popular mod as factory DRL are terrible. I would go for fogs. Turn signals would be cool if the location would be better (corner of the headlight like the 2006-2009 4runner).

Look forward to your post
Old 07-28-10, 03:29 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617

This could be a popular mod as factory DRL are terrible. I would go for fogs. Turn signals would be cool if the location would be better (corner of the headlight like the 2006-2009 4runner).
You can read about it here:

http://estore.websitepros.com/802805...ion/Detail.bok

~ Cap
Old 07-28-10, 03:35 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Took a look as soon as you posted. Read install instructions based on Turn signlas as well there. Would like to see the install based on fogs and an actual DIY on gx460 when you finish the MOD. Diagram is nice, but nothing beats actual DIY.
Old 07-28-10, 05:51 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Luke.....

I too, read the installation instructions. Looks like one only needs to use half of the module for the Fog Lights, provided the module can handle two bulbs instead of one.

~ Cap
I think you are right. All is needed is a relay that is connected to an IGN wire. Connect the other end of the relay coil to the parking lights, and the fogs should go off when you turn on the lights to be legal.
Old 07-28-10, 07:29 PM
T4Fun
Racer

luke
fyi, in reading the philiip drl instructions, they are also relayed to the parking lights on one side, so they would be on in daytime and turn off when parking lights come on.

as for them not fitting in, the width is just right. The black grille would have to be trimmed so they fit length wise
Old 07-28-10, 07:43 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

luke
fyi, in reading the philiip drl instructions, they are also relayed to the parking lights on one side, so they would be on in daytime and turn off when parking lights come on.

as for them not fitting in, the width is just right. The black grille would have to be trimmed so they fit length wise
Length is the problem. The set you have is 18cm long per web sites. I would consider one which is no longer than 14cm. Behind the grill there is a plastic vetical cover which protects water coming toward fog lights, etc. I don't want to cut that. So space to work with is very limited and why I have considered Hella which provides flexibility of install. But I am hunting the fog lights convertion to DRL as effect will be the same and estetically will provide fatory and clean look.
Old 07-28-10, 11:05 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Luke.....

Looks like all I have to use from the DRL module are five wires.

The Green goes to a Ground. The Yellow goes to a Positive when the ignition is on.

Then I cut the wire that goes to the Fog Lights. The cut-end that continuous to the Fog Lights I connect to the Brown wire. The other cut-end I connect to the Red wire.

The Blue wire goes to a toggle switch to Turn Off the module.

That should do it, I hope. Will let you know in a week or two.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights as DRL-drl-module.gif  

Last edited by Capirato; 08-08-10 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 06:05 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Luke.....

Looks like all I have to use from the DRL module are four wires.

The Green goes to a Ground. The Yellow goes to a Positive when the ignition is on.

Then I cut the wire that goes to the Fog Lights. The cut-end that continuous to the Fog Lights I connect to the Brown wire. The other cut-end I connect to the Red wire.

That should do it, I hope. Will let you know in a week or two.

~ Cap

Look forward to your write up. One suggestions that may be worth trying before cutting the fog light wires.

The module will shut down fog lights when lights come on. I am sure you still want to use fog lights at night. Instead of cutting the fog lights wire, how about using wire tap. That way fogs will come on when you turn on the car even if the lights are off and will stay on when you drive at night with lights on. An always on option.
Just thinking now, maybe just by taping + wire on parking light and connecting it + wire on fogs would let fogs run with switching to parking lights on.
Anyway, look forward to your update. Please do a write up with locations and color of wires you tapped in to.
Old 07-29-10, 06:44 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

I'm confident that the Fog Switch will override the DRL Module.

Even though I'm cutting the Fog Wire, the current from the Switch still goes through the DRL Module.

~ Cap
Look forward to see your final result

Quick Reply: Fog Lights as DRL