Fog Lights as DRL

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 06:37 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hi Luke.....

Received the DRL module yesterday, have not installed it yet, but have had time to reflect on it's operation.

Actually, what it amounts to, is that the Fogs will be on all the time and act as DRLs.

If that's what we want, we could just run a wire from an Ignition source to the Fogs and they will be on all the time the engine is running, and not use the module.

However, there may be times when you are parked with the engine running at night and not want the Fogs to be on.

But wait, the module has a wire that can connect to the Parking Lights and when they are turned on, the module will turn off the Fog Lights. How clever is that ??

~ Cap
You have made a very valid point. So the fogs will turn off when the lights will switch to parking/low bean lights

I hope you can turn them back on with fog lights switch is engaged to on. Also would like if they will turn off when you turn on high beams. Legally you cannot have more than four lights on at the same time.

When are you planning to install?
Old 08-06-10, 03:44 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Luke.....

I will try tomorrow. I've been thinking about the installation. I've discovered that some switches in newer cars, ground the source wire (the Fogs in this case) when the switch is turned off. If that's the case, (without the module) I will have to go to Plan 2 which is, wire the Fogs directly via a custom switch that gets it's current only when the engine is running. That same switch turns off the Fogs if desired.

However, without the module connected, the Fogs will not come on the Normal way. I'll run some tests tomorrow and let you know.

~ Cap
How about using the module you have bought, wiring the power through fuse box using one of those ("ADD-ON" ATM MINI AUTOMOTIVE FUSE TAP)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT I am sure RadioShack sells those too.
Maybe connect it to the ignition fuse which is in the engine compartment fuse box or another fuse which would be more proper.

Hopefully this setup would turn them automatically on with engine. Also hopefully when you turn on headlights (fogs on), the normal system would overwrite it and let you keep them on at night too and turn off when high beams are on.

Looks like you have more experience than I when it comes to electrical. Look forward to hear what you will come up with.
Old 08-08-10, 12:07 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617

Look forward to hear what you will come up with.
Luke.....

Installation of DRL Module previously mentioned works as hoped.

I only used half of the module designed to work on Turn Signals as shown on previous pix. Used all of the wires except the two for one of Turn Signals and the one for the Sync.

Installed a Toggle Switch to turn OFF the Module, so that the car reverts to its Original State.

When the module is ON the Fogs will come on when the High Beams are on and also act as DRLs.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights as DRL-toggle-switch.jpg  
Old 08-08-10, 12:12 PM
Capirato
Racer

FOGS with High Beams.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights as DRL-drls.gif  
Old 08-08-10, 12:22 PM
Capirato
Racer

FOGS as DRLs

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights as DRL-drls.gif  
Old 08-08-10, 03:56 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Luke.....

Installation of DRL Module previously mentioned works as hoped.

I only used half of the module designed to work on Turn Signals as shown on previous pix. Used all of the wires except the two for one of Turn Signals and the one for the Sync.

Installed a Toggle Switch to turn OFF the Module, so that the car reverts to its Original State.

When the module is ON the Fogs will come on when the High Beams are on and also act as DRLs.

~ Cap

Congrats on install!

Some questions
- you have added a switch to turn on the system. Usefull to pass the inspection in NC. Legally you can only have 4 lights turn on at the same time. Where did you hook up switch wires to? Did you route them to engine compartment?
- With high beams on, you have 6 lights on. Is there a way to hook up the system so you the DRL turn off when high beams come on?
- Where did you connect the ignition wire?

Can you maybe post some pictures where you have connected all module wires to in the car (including the switch wire)?

Thanks!

Luke
Old 08-08-10, 06:17 PM
Capirato
Racer

Congrats on install!

Some questions
- you have added a switch to turn on the system. Usefull to pass the inspection in NC. Legally you can only have 4 lights turn on at the same time. Where did you hook up switch wires to? Did you route them to engine compartment?
- With high beams on, you have 6 lights on. Is there a way to hook up the system so you the DRL turn off when high beams come on?
- Where did you connect the ignition wire?

Can you maybe post some pictures where you have connected all module wires to in the car (including the switch wire)?

Thanks!

Luke
Luke.....

Hopefully, I answered most of your questions below. Everything is zipped up, so I can't take anymore pictures.

For Reference see Post # 13

On the hot side of the switch, we connected the Yellow wire from the Module and a wire that is hot, (only when the ignition is on). We found such a wire in the drivers side panel and connected to it with a 15 Amp online fuse. On the load side of the switch we connected the Blue wire from the Module.

(Very important, if you use a switch that has a Ground connector, do NOT connect to ground)

I always drive with my Fogs on and the fact that they stay on when the high beams come on, is a pleasure.

To deactivate the module, just toggle the switch. Everything returns to Nomal.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 08-18-10 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 07:35 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Luke.....

Hopefully, I answered most of your questions below. Everything is zipped up, so I can't take anymore pictures.

For Reference see Post # 16

On the hot side of the switch, we connected the Yellow wire from the Module and a wire that is hot, (only when the ignition is on). We found such a wire in the drivers side panel and connected to it with a 15 Amp online fuse. On the load side of the switch we connected the Blue wire from the Module.

(Very important, if you use a switch that has a Ground connector, do NOT connect to ground)

I always drive with my Fogs on and the fact that they stay on when the high beams come on, is a pleasure.

To deactivate the module, just toggle the switch. Everything returns to Nomal.

~ Cap
Thanks Cap! Will have to play around with this. Still concerned where to connect the ignition wire to.
Old 08-20-10, 10:44 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Fogs as DRLs

Thanks Cap! Will have to play around with this. Still concerned where to connect the ignition wire to.
Hey Luke.....

I'm very pleased with my Fog Lights as DRLs.

What have you decided to do ??

~ Cap
Old 08-21-10, 04:29 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Hey Luke.....

I'm very pleased with my Fog Lights as DRLs.

What have you decided to do ??

~ Cap
I was concerned with wires connecting as I didn't know location of ignition, etc. I am working with a company which will have a custom solution for GX. Due to NDA I cannot talk about it, but will have the product in few weeks and will be posting a lot of information before SEMA in Las Vegas. Stay tuned.
Old 08-22-10, 11:28 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Fog Lights Only

Luke.....

With the DRL module I installed, I can reduce glare when driving through Fog. All one has to do is turn the light switch to Parking Lights, to turn ON the Tail Lights when driving when foggy, day or night.

~ Cap
Old 08-22-10, 01:25 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Luke.....

With the DRL module I installed, I can reduce glare when driving through Fog. All one has to do is turn the light switch to Parking Lights, to turn ON the Tail Lights when driving when foggy, day or night.

~ Cap
Cap,
Trust me, I like your solution and it is exactly what I wanted to begin with since my fog lights are LED and give a perfect crisp 5K white light. The challenge for me is the wiring. I was hopying you will be able to post some pics. But on the other side since I couldn't duplicate your solution, I have made a contact with a company overseas which will provide a special solution for all Lexuses which attaches to the grille and will provide an OEM look. In Europe all new cars as of 2011 need to be equiped with DRL.
Old 08-25-10, 02:59 AM
suys4uce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!

I'm thinking about using led strips for DRLs

similar to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI_YM...eature=channel
Old 08-25-10, 04:33 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm using 100w 9005 bulbs as DRL/High beem. The DRL circuit uses reduced voltage, so the only time they will draw 100w is when you are using the high beams. I only use the high beams briefly when flashing someone to get out of the fast lane. I would estimate the temp at approx 3500K or as bright as a standard halogen bulb. Much whiter then the OEM DRL. I think it is perfect and you don't lose your high beams. Actually the high beams are awesome! I also used dielectric grease/compound on the connectors. I checked the wiring after keeping the high beams on for 10 min and there were no problems. Remember standard high beams are rated at 65w. I'm using these. I have been using these bulbs for over 2 years (In a IS350) and everything is fine. I will be putting them in my (soon to get) GX460.

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...5da7fe4210bb31

Koz
Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights as DRL-dsc09921.jpg  

Last edited by Koz; 08-25-10 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-30-10, 09:14 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by Koz

I'm using 100w 9005 bulbs as DRL/High Beam.

Remember, standard high beams are rated at 65w.

I have been using these bulbs for over 2 years (in a IS 350) and everything is fine.

I will be putting them in my (soon to get) GX 460.

Koz
Koz.....

Turns out that the original OEM bulbs are 60 watts.

The ones you recommend are 100 watts and they match perfectly in color with the original low-beam OEM bulbs.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

~ Cap

Quick Reply: Fog Lights as DRL