GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone purchase a Thule Roof Carrier for the 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 10:26 AM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone purchase a Thule Roof Carrier for the 460

I am looking for a rooftop carrier that will offer a descent amount of cargo space. I have the roof bars on order and was looking at a Yakima or Thule carrier, but there was nothing listed for the GX 460 as compatible on the website. I was looking at the Thule Boxter or Yakima Skybox 21, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks so much!
Old 07-02-10, 07:04 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pierpark
I am looking for a rooftop carrier that will offer a descent amount of cargo space. I have the roof bars on order and was looking at a Yakima or Thule carrier, but there was nothing listed for the GX 460 as compatible on the website. I was looking at the Thule Boxter or Yakima Skybox 21, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks so much!
Isn't the roof rack instruction said not for cargo on roof?
Old 07-05-10, 07:57 PM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

Default Was told it was possible by c/s prior to buying

I was told by the 800 number that it could be accomodated, but have not found a way to do it yet. Completely sucks because I need the space b/c I have dogs who take up the back plus two kids in car seats. We have a hitch basket but that does not provide enough storage. One would think they would have a solution... I hope I can find an aftermarket solution.
Old 07-06-10, 04:33 PM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

I went into a local bike shop today and saw they carried Thule and Yakima luggage carriers. They were great and researched the GX for me. Turns out Yakima makes 58" bars for the 2010 GX 460 that will hold their carriers. It will hold a Thule too, but they can not "recommend" mixing the two. I am very happy that they have a fit for the 460!
Old 07-06-10, 08:45 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pierpark

I went into a local bike shop today and saw they carried Thule and Yakima luggage carriers. They were great and researched the GX for me. Turns out Yakima makes 58" bars for the 2010 GX 460 that will hold their carriers. It will hold a Thule too, but they can not "recommend" mixing the two. I am very happy that they have a fit for the 460!
I went to one of Yakima's Internet sites and I found the following information.

I you already have the Optional Crossbars, no need to buy Yakima's.

If you don't have the crossbars on your GX 460, then Yakima's will work.

~ Cap
Old 07-07-10, 06:57 PM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I decided to get the Lexus crossbars and am having them installed tomorrow. I called Yakima and got conflicting info on their rail grabs so I decided to go with the factory rails because they would work with the box (fingers crossed). When I called the dealer I learned the reason that Lexus did not include them on the vehicle, as like the 470, was because it put the SUV over the national weight number?? Lexus stopped selling these (there was a hold on them) in one of their ordering systems because of the weight issue. The parts manager researched and was able to locate some so this is waaaay more work than it should have been.

I had not heard that before. I am ordering the box so hopefully it was all work. I will post an update either way.

Thanks for all the posts and info!!
Old 07-07-10, 07:12 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

putting heavy stuff on the rack will obviously raise the center of gravity and increase chance of rollover. thats why they probably didnt include them, and it explains the dinky roof rails on the gx 460
Old 07-13-10, 11:07 PM
sawoolse
Driver School Candidate

Default Cross Bars

In CA, about a surfboard or two will hold just fine up on the factory installed cross bars. I did almost daily on my prior model GX. awaiting my new 460 but it does not have cross bars, anyone have any they want to sell?
Old 07-14-10, 12:07 PM
T4Fun
Racer

where does one get the cross bars for the gx? I dont even see it on sewell website. I wonder if its the same cross bars as on the highlander, 4runner, and other toyota suvs. Probably is if I had to guess
Old 07-15-10, 07:01 AM
cwonbe
Driver School Candidate

Default Cross Bars

Got mine from Sewell. Great price with ClubLexus discount. For some reason I no longer see them on their site.
Old 07-15-10, 11:56 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
where does one get the cross bars for the gx? I dont even see it on sewell website.
The challenge as of today with the GX cross bars is they're on Stop Sale. This means Lexus as deemed or determined an issue with this particular product thus will not allow them to be sold to the dealers (thus the reason I removed it temporarily from our site). The reason involves the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and what restrictions and guidelines they've invoked on the GX and how it's equipped, i.e. Total Gross Vehicle Weight, Gas Mileage publications etc. (the same happened back in 2003-2004 with the tow hitch on the GX470).

Darrel

Last edited by Sewell; 01-05-11 at 09:49 AM. Reason: changed ship time to remove potential confusion between 2010CY & 2011CY
Old 07-15-10, 11:57 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the installation instructions.

Darrel
Old 07-15-10, 03:34 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From Sewell

~ Cap
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-10, 09:16 PM
T4Fun
Racer

i wouldve preferred a roof rail looking more like this

http://allsports-cars.blogspot.com/2...d-cruiser.html

dont know why the discreet roof rail on the US version.
Old 07-23-10, 01:19 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my Gx460 seller told me he promised to get me the roof cross bars but later told me all orders have been canceled.. I need them soo should i wait? is the situation going to be resolved or.. find an after market? another fail service

Last edited by Gs350Lola; 07-23-10 at 01:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone purchase a Thule Roof Carrier for the 460