GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone purchase a Thule Roof Carrier for the 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 01:21 PM
charlyang
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cannysage
i ended up buying this and it's a good build quality.. only minor complaint is that the holes for the hooks are too small and you will have to buy thin hooks if you want to tie anything down.
Did you end up buying any hook?
Old 01-16-13, 04:37 PM
winstoncol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello CL members im trying to find cross bars for my gx 460. do i have to create an account to sewell to get a discounted price or as long as you are logged in to CL and use the vendors link they could authomatically see your profile?
Old 10-29-13, 10:43 PM
LexusB0y
Driver School Candidate

hey look up a brand called "inno" for rooftop carriers might find something that fits for you
Old 10-30-13, 03:02 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

what is the best luggage carrier for the GX?
Old 10-31-13, 08:32 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a Stowaway 2 Max fixed frame cargo box and really like it. I replaced a Thule roof box.

It holds more weight than the roof box, and is easier to load and unload. It sits far enough from the back that you can still get between the box and the car to get things in and out of the rear window.

There was some confusion about whether I needed an exhaust shield. Turns out I didn't. I think it might be necessary for the swingaway version.
Old 10-31-13, 01:23 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Interesting....how much of as hassle if you have to open the swing gate?
Old 10-31-13, 02:31 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Well, you can't get the door open very far with the box on. You would have to empty it and take it off to open the door all the way. That didn't matter for us, since we load the car up, drive half way across the country, and unload the car.

I don't remember if the swingaway version can be swung away without unloading it, you would want to clarify that with the manufacturer.

BTW, I should also have mentioned that in addition to the reasons I stated earlier, there is no wind noise or reduction in mileage, and I wonder how much weight those roof racks will bear. The 460's rails also seem very low profile, and the fin sticking up in the back means you have to go with a pretty small rooftop box to avoid the box sitting on the fin.
Old 10-31-13, 07:53 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LFIL
Well, you can't get the door open very far with the box on. You would have to empty it and take it off to open the door all the way. That didn't matter for us, since we load the car up, drive half way across the country, and unload the car.

I don't remember if the swingaway version can be swung away without unloading it, you would want to clarify that with the manufacturer.

BTW, I should also have mentioned that in addition to the reasons I stated earlier, there is no wind noise or reduction in mileage, and I wonder how much weight those roof racks will bear. The 460's rails also seem very low profile, and the fin sticking up in the back means you have to go with a pretty small rooftop box to avoid the box sitting on the fin.
Thanks for the information LFIL. Do you think the swing model help with the door? How heavy is it unloaded? I think I will go with the non-swing model as well.
Old 11-01-13, 06:28 AM
LFIL
Rookie

I think it would help some with the door, but not sure if you could get the door open all the way because the swing arm is hinged on the same side. Also not sure about the weight of the fixed box-maybe 100#? The company could tell you exacts. I can move it around myself, but it is pretty awkward-much easier with a helper. I know the swingaway adds some to the weight as well.
Old 11-01-13, 12:43 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

most likely I will get the fixed model as well. thanks for the information.
Old 11-04-13, 10:55 AM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

Default Yakima Box vs hitch back Thule

I no longer have my godforsaken GX from hell as of July (Lexus repurchased), but I ended up buying the Yakima Skybox pro after I had the original post. We used it extensively for the three years that I had the Lexus and never had an issue loading/unloading, antenna issue or getting it stuck on the back door. We had the Lexus crossbars. This is the largest box Yakima makes and we chose that over the Thule box because it was more durable (REI guy jumped on top of the box in the store and it did not crack) and he said the Thule box would crack. I bought the box from REI and they installed it on the car for me (basically adjusted the clips in the box to sit properly on the car).

We had two dogs and could not use the cargo area when we traveled because they were there. The box accommodated 4 of us- including two children that traveled with a ton of accessories and supplies for our beach house. The box carried a lot of weight and we never had any issues. It will decrease fuel efficiency some if fully loaded. We traveled back and forth a lot between my home and the beach so on average it was used one to two times per month. I preferred this to the box on the hitch because you can pack almost three times as much stuff and you can still you a trailer hitch basket if needed. When we had the hitch basket on, we could only open the back door enough to let me dogs out of the car and yes. we usually unloaded first. The only downside with the yakima top box was that I was unable to put it on the car myself...it took two people to lift it on as to not damage the car.
Old 11-04-13, 11:50 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Capacity can be measured in two ways: weight and cubic feet.

The Lexus crossbars are rated for up to 176 pounds. The Yakima Skybox Pro 21 (cubic feet) weighs 62 pounds, leaving 114 for stuff in the box.

The Stowaway2 Max holds 16 cubic feet with a max weight of 200 pounds. I'm not sure what the box weighs, but whatever it is plus 200 pounds is comfortably below the hitch weight limit.

Since we use the cargo space mostly for clothes, which are dense and weighty, the hitch box was best for us. If we needed to haul bigger, lighter stuff it would be a different story.