Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Premium Gas vs. Regular

Old 08-15-12, 06:10 PM   #16
seahaul
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

I have a 2010 GX460, I quit running premium when it started costing me $12 more per tank. It makes no difference and this is the same engine that is in other Toyotas. Some say its different or the ecu is different but i call BS, there is no way an Lexus would allow the engine to wear more because of a few octane numbers.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
seahaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 06:16 PM   #17
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahaul View Post
I have a 2010 GX460, I quit running premium when it started costing me $12 more per tank. It makes no difference and this is the same engine that is in other Toyotas. Some say its different or the ecu is different but i call BS, there is no way an Lexus would allow the engine to wear more because of a few octane numbers.
when you sell your gx, i feel sorry for the poor sap that gets it

2014 GX 460 Luxury - Starfire Pearl - Sepia - Driver support.
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 06:24 PM   #18
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
Trader Score: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahaul View Post
you keep telling yourself that, but the truth is that yes, they don't allow additional wear - they sense knock and retard timing... this reduces available engine power and can reduce fuel mileage as well...

Here, premium costs 20 to 30 cents more than regular, so, from regular to premium, and 20 gallons (out of 23 gallons), even at 30 cents, is $6

Lets do some more basic math... 20k miles a year, even at 15 mpg and $3.50 a gallon regular, $3.75 premium. There is a $360 per year difference in fuel costs is all, that is $30 a month, or $1 a day... Even the guys on the Tundra boards accept that the Toyota version is a detuned version of the GX460 motor...
- Lots more certs, too many to list here!

2001 Lexus IS300 - 500whp/476wtq (Mustang Dyno)PTE 6765/Custom AEM EMS - Auburn Sky Pearl (1 of 1348)
1999 Isuzu VehiCross 285/75-16 Destination MT's - Astral Silver Metallic (1 of 1021)
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 06:15 AM   #19
Eppieguy
Lead Lap

Here is my take on this subject. My company is owned by Toyota and employees of my company used to get special pricing on Toyota's and Lexus's (program is discontinued now ). We have had many Lexus vehicles since 2003, ususally do 2-3 year leases on 3-4 cars as company cars and emplyees have boyght many cars as well. Anyway, with that being said most of our company cars run either 87 or 89 and at the end of the lease these cars have 75-80K on them. We have never once experianced an issue with the cars due to fuel. Never any engine problem to be honest. My mother has a 2009 ES and she always runs 89, 35K on that car and no issues to date. My 2012 GX has only seen premium so far but to me, I haven't seen any issues due to running lessor grade fuels.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 06:21 AM   #20
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
Trader Score: (2)

I agree that on a relatively new engine, there should be no ill effects. Ignition timing is the big variable here and cars are designed to save themselves when they start knocking. They do this by pulling timing. The difference is that factory cars are generally not tuned to run on the ragged edge, so you get some leeway... anyone that has ever tuned a car or driven a tuned car realizes the importance of running the fuel the car was tuned for, as a lesser grade fuel could quickly spell disaster...

To each their own...
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 06:40 AM   #21
Koz

The Lexus 4.6 is tuned different then the Toyota engine. The Lexus engine is tuned to be smoother and quieter then the Toyota engine (requiring premium fuel). I would be more then willing to give up the smoother engine for 9 more HP and being able to use regular fuel! Being able to use the much cheaper fuel is just like getting better mileage. Also, 9 HP is nice bump!

Note - There is NO difference in the amount of energy in the different octanes. There is also NO difference in fuel mileage. The best octane to use in any vehicle is the lowest octane without causing engine knock. Once you have eliminated knock any more octane is just a waste of money. The only difference octane makes is its ability to prevent engine knock. Anything over the OEM recommended octane does NOTHING! What makes a real difference in fuel is how well it keeps your system clean. Use top tier fuel!

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Koz
Old 08-16-12, 08:21 AM   #22
Craig B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
The Lexus 4.6 is tuned different then the Toyota engine. The Lexus engine is tuned to be smoother and quieter then the Toyota engine (requiring premium fuel). I would be more then willing to give up the smoother engine for 9 more HP and being able to use regular fuel! Being able to use the much cheaper fuel is just like getting better mileage. Also, 9 HP is nice bump!

Note - There is NO difference in the amount of energy in the different octanes. There is also NO difference in fuel mileage. The best octane to use in any vehicle is the lowest octane without causing engine knock. Once you have eliminated knock any more octane is just a waste of money. The only difference octane makes is its ability to prevent engine knock. Anything over the OEM recommended octane does NOTHING! What makes a real difference in fuel is how well it keeps your system clean. Use top tier fuel!

Koz
Lexus uses a knock sensor, so you won't hear it knock. It will retard the timing and cut down on power and mileage. I run the best fuel I can purchase in my area which is Mobil Premium 93 octane.

2007 LS 460
2014 GX 460 Luxury
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 08:45 AM   #23
Koz

Once you pass the required 91 octane you are only wasting your money. Higher octane does NOT make the fuel better. What makes the fuel better is the one that keeps your engine cleaner.

Koz
Old 08-16-12, 04:25 PM   #24
SaniDel
Lead Lap

Quote:

Koz
Koz:

I checked the web site you provided for Top Tier Fuels and it seems most the major brands are represented ... except Valero, which is the cheapest in our area. Your advice is to buy gas only from stations on the Top Tier list, right? Would there be any indication on the pump or is the brand all you need to shop for?
Regards,

SaniDel
SaniDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 05:51 PM   #25
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Quote:

Koz
Excellent post! And right on the money. But don't try to tell it to these hammer heads who persist in believing that higher octane is always better and that it always boosts mileage. Old b.s. is very slow to die.
NCRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 06:14 PM   #26
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybing View Post
I believe all Lexus from 2000 use premium... so far as I know... but car runs on premium can take regular too, just not good to the engine for long term and have less power and low performance
My bought-new 2005 RX330's recommended fuel was mid-level (often called "Plus") but the manual said regular was OK if the owner prefers. I ran regular for the last 3 or 4 years I owned that vehicle and never had any problems nor did gas mileage decrease. It had nearly 85,000 miles on it at trade-in and was running great. My new 2013 RX350 calls for regular, period.
NCRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 07:12 PM   #27
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver

toyota does likely use different components in their lexus vs toyota engines. i have a hard time believing that its just "tuned" differently.

2014 GX 460 Luxury - Starfire Pearl - Sepia - Driver support.
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 05:04 AM   #28
Koz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniDel View Post
Koz:

I checked the web site you provided for Top Tier Fuels and it seems most the major brands are represented ... except Valero, which is the cheapest in our area. Your advice is to buy gas only from stations on the Top Tier list, right? Would there be any indication on the pump or is the brand all you need to shop for?
Regards,

SaniDel
Some time ago there were only a few brands on this list. You will not see any indication at a gas station of them being Top Tier. I only use Top Tier (Shell V-Power). I'm a very aggressive driver and tow often, so I use the higher octane (could get away with the middle grade).

Recommendation - Stay away from vehicles/engines that have (only) direct injection. The fuel is injected directly into the cylinder and does not flow through the intake system, which would be cleaned by the special additives in the fuel. No manufacture has designed a system (direct injection) that will stay clean enough without periodic cleaning. This periodic cleaning can get VERY involved (and expensive).

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 08-17-12 at 05:14 AM..
Koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 05:11 AM   #29
Koz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Fun View Post
toyota does likely use different components in their lexus vs toyota engines. i have a hard time believing that its just "tuned" differently.
The term "Tuned" includes different cam profiles and other component differences in the design of the engine. It is not just different mapping of the fuel delivery system.

Koz
Old 02-06-14, 06:06 PM   #30
KULEGOS
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel Question : premium or regular?

Have u fuel up your GX with regular fuel? Can U see a diference betwin premium & regular?
KULEGOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 06:06 PM

Tags
250, 400, 430, 450h, 460, es350, gas, gx, is300, lexus, premium, regular, rx, sc, vs