GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Efficient Ventilation Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 08:23 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Efficient Ventilation Mode

Is there any way to make the air intake mode stay in the "auto" position every time I turn the ventilation system on? The manual says it is controlled by the "Efficient Ventilation Mode," and to my understanding it has to be turned on in order for the intake system to switch to "auto." I've checked to make certain that Efficient Ventilation Mode is indeed on, but I have to change the intake mode to "auto" every time I start my car. Am I missing something here?
Old 06-24-10, 07:24 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If you turn it off and then on the AC/Heat system, I think you need to hit auto again. I just leave it on and auto all the time and just change the temperature up/down you shouldn't have to do anytihng. My is on auto all the time and don't mess with it until I have guests and they are starting to play with buttons.
Old 06-25-10, 07:34 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We also leave the system in auto mode and it takes care of itself. If the vehicle has been parked it helps to tilt open the sunroof and switch to fresh air to pump out the stale hot air, but otherwise it cycles between fresh and recycled automatically. The less button pushing the better, right?
Old 06-25-10, 07:53 PM
akfd
Pole Position

That's why I want to use the auto air intake function, because the weather's quite hot here, plus pollen everywhere. **Sneeze**

I figured it out: I had to turn the Efficient Ventilation Mode off, then the air intake mode was able to hold at Auto even when I turned the ventilation system off, then back on again. I hear it's better to turn everything off, including the ventilation system, before switching the ignition off, that way the battery will last longer and won't screw the computer system up. Is there any truth to that?
Old 06-25-10, 08:06 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by akfd
That's why I want to use the auto air intake function, because the weather's quite hot here, plus pollen everywhere. **Sneeze**

I figured it out: I had to turn the Efficient Ventilation Mode off, then the air intake mode was able to hold at Auto even when I turned the ventilation system off, then back on again. I hear it's better to turn everything off, including the ventilation system, before switching the ignition off, that way the battery will last longer and won't screw the computer system up. Is there any truth to that?
Never heard about the computer thing. Battery who cares. New one costs $60 if needs replacement. Also battery recharges itself while driving so there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-26-10, 02:51 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We decided to "break the habit" of turning off everything before shutdown and turning on everything after startup.

It used to be a problem for cars to start with headlights on, fan running, air conditioner compressor engaged, etc., but it seems that modern vehicles "soft start" these circuits after the gasoline engine has started. Besides, as Luke27617 says ... why bother trying to squeeze an extra month out of the battery, which is one of the cheapest replacement parts in the vehicle, available at any auto supply shop and always on sale at Sears?

I expect that the 'OFF' switch on vehicle climate control systems will eventually join the cigarette lighter, the ash tray and the cassette deck! Indeed, the 2010 RX 350 loaner provided for our last service has combined the 'OFF' function with the fan speed manual control. Push the button once and the fan speed is manually controlled, but you must push it twice to turn off the climate control system.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-26-10, 11:51 PM
akfd
Pole Position

I was told my a friend that turning everything off before shutdown is better for the battery, engine, A/C compressor, etc., but I guess his knowledge was stuck in the 70's and 80's. It's good to know that I won't do any damage when I forget to turn everything off before switching the ignition off. Thank you for the advice folks!!