GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

CR is full of BS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 09:26 AM
Mike450h
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down CR is full of BS

I am not a GX owner but a GS owner, a very happy one at that! I happen to think CR is completely full of crap! I also think all of the hubbub about Toyota over last several months, is nothing more than Government Motors picking on the number one car maker in the world in hopes of selling more cars. I can remember a few short years ago, Ford had some issues with their SUV's blowing tires and killing people, They did not testify in front of congress?

You GX owners should rally and file a class action lawsuit against CR! Now that they have single handedly rendered your vehicles worthless!

Just my thoughts!

Last edited by Mike450h; 04-15-10 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-15-10, 10:46 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep in mind that for a very long time Toyota and Toyota products have been placed very high and mostly at the top of CR recommendations. During this time every GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc owner thought CR was biased and had an agenda against them. Funny how perception works, huh?
Old 04-15-10, 11:51 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well for sure now people can't say CR is in bed with Toyota...maybe that was a factor too in the way they announced this. Can't say for sure though so it's just speculation. However I wouldn't be surprised if in light of all the recall fiascos that they are going over Lexus products with a fine-tooth comb.

Still, the exact nature of the test suggests it is a very specific issue that can only be reproduced under certain circumstances. No incidents have been reported which really stem from this, and with CR using the publicity to sell subscriptions, it could be their pronouncement is a bit hyperbolic (who knows, maybe like McRib, every decade or so they roll out one of these 'don't buy' warnings to drum up media attention--still just speculation though). Overall, I'd still feel comfortable driving a GX, albeit more carefully.

However, the fact remains that they were able to produce oversteer in their lift-off test. If this can be replicated by other parties, and is judged to be abnormal versus other comparable vehicles, it should be fixed. So far there's been difficulty doing the replication:

Consumer Reports Declines Toyota’s Request to Use Its Test Track
By CHRISTOPHER JENSEN

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...-track/?src=mv

Mr. Kwong said no problem was found when the GX 460 was tested for trailing-throttle oversteer during the vehicle’s development. That development test was conducted at about 50 to 55 m.p.h., and the turn that the automaker used was not nearly as sharp as the one used by the magazine.

“Our engineers stated that they do similar testing and development, but the radius is not as dramatic,” Mr. Kwong said. “Definitely the Consumer Reports test is a lot more aggressive than the in-house testing.”
Lexus Temporarily Suspends GX 460 Sales
By Erin Riches | April 13, 2010
Edmunds.com

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...460-sales.html

"Our tests are different [than CR's]," Dan Edmunds, our testing director, notes. "Our slalom test features quick direction changes, such as those you might see in an avoidance maneuver."

He continues, "Is this CR test realistic? That looks like a very fast approach -- a deliberate high-speed approach to a corner that's more akin to high-performance track driving than driving a few miles per hour over the speed limit on public roads. And it looks like no brakes were used by the driver at all (no brake lights are visible). I'm not sure how realistic that situation is in the context of a luxury SUV.

"That said, I would have expected stability control intervention in that situation. But I also would expect a driver to apply the brakes if he or she were surprised by the tightness of an unfamiliar corner."
If it can't be replicated, then there is grounds for complaints against CR. Courts did find their Isuzu Trooper statements to be misleading.

Last edited by encore888; 04-15-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-15-10, 02:33 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike450h
I am not a GX owner but a GS owner, a very happy one at that! I happen to think CR is completely full of crap! I also think all of the hubbub about Toyota over last several months, is nothing more than Government Motors picking on the number one car maker in the world in hopes of selling more cars. I can remember a few short years ago, Ford had some issues with their SUV's blowing tires and killing people, They did not testify in front of congress?

You GX owners should rally and file a class action law suite against CR! Now that they have single handedly rendered your vehicles worthless!

Just my thoughts!
IMO, this is no "BS", actually I'm glad CR did it publicly for safety reasons, No more hiding/coverup etc....retesting all toyota/lexus SUV's would be a great idea, my whole family owns 3 GX470, 1 IS350, 2 highlanders, camry's. In fact they already found a fix....

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-t...-concerns.html
Old 04-15-10, 03:45 PM
captain1
Driver School Candidate

You GX owners should rally and file a class action law suite against CR! Now that they have single handedly rendered your vehicles worthless!

Just my thoughts!
that's because Toyota is a foreign brand. we don't like to see foreigners become successful. we want to embarrass Mr. Toyota in front of congress and show that on TV to everyone. now we took Toyota down, Honda will be the next one on the list.

all jokes aside.... do people really believe GM / Dodge / Ford is safer than Toyota? Consider the number of cars Toyota sold, the problem only affects a very small fraction of the consumers. Yes, the problems should still be fixed, but why make such a huge deal of of this?
Old 04-15-10, 04:17 PM
Mike450h
Driver

Originally Posted by vince22
IMO, this is no "BS", actually I'm glad CR did it publicly for safety reasons, No more hiding/coverup etc....retesting all toyota/lexus SUV's would be a great idea, my whole family owns 3 GX470, 1 IS350, 2 highlanders, camry's. In fact they already found a fix....

Take any SUV, drive it at 55 mph in a strait line on dry pavement, than suddenly turn right. What do you think is going to happen? Watching that CR video is a complete joke that proves nothing. Toyota indeed did the smart thing, they clearly do not need anymore bad press. If they have a ''fix'' LOL I'm sure its nothing more than a placebo. But everyone will feel better.
Old 04-15-10, 05:54 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's hope that after the "fix" we won't complain that Toyota/Lexus has taken out all the fun out of the GX!
Old 04-15-10, 08:40 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

CR wants to sell more magazines. I want to see a test on the Smart car and side impact on motorcycles.

Tim
Old 04-15-10, 09:10 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vince22

I wonder what would happen if you got a Tahoe and did the same test? I am sure similar results would happen.

What throws me off is the whole it's pretty much a 4runner and the 4 runner didn't have issues passing CR's test. I understand that the GX is a little higher then the 4 runner but they must give very similar out come on both. I don't know I would be happy if CR gets awake up call by Lexus/Toyota saying "Even though we were able to pass our tight safety test, we have also exceeded your ridicules test."
Old 04-16-10, 07:50 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLDriver

I wonder what would happen if you got a Tahoe and did the same test? I am sure similar results would happen.
Guys, CR has answered THAT question. Just read what they say. In most cars/SUVs tested (I'm assuming that includes Tahoe) the front wheels were the first to lose traction, which caused the car to continue straight forward, ESC (or VSC for some) would react by applying the brakes and bring the car under control. That was the expected behavior for GX460 as well, what they've got was unexpected (as seen in video) swing of the rear and delayed ESC response. Why is this so difficult to understand
Old 04-16-10, 09:04 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike are CR's test results only BS when the outcome of the tests are negative? What about all of the other years when the test results were EXTREMELY favorable to Toyota/Lexus??!??

You GX owners should rally and file a class action lawsuit against CR! Now that they have single handedly rendered your vehicles worthless!

Just my thoughts!
Old 04-16-10, 09:18 AM
Mike450h
Driver

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Mike are CR's test results only BS when the outcome of the tests are negative? What about all of the other years when the test results were EXTREMELY favorable to Toyota/Lexus??!??
NO! What I think is BS, is CR putting a NO BUY label on the GX based on a test that is complete BS. If they want to put a NO BUY label on the GX based on that test, than they should put a no buy label on ALL SUV's. as all perform very close to how the GX performed.

Again I would reference the Ford Explorer problems in 2002 tire problem that caused the SUV to roll over and caused some 271 deaths. Ford never received a NO BUY from CR? and it was discovered that the problem was related to tire pressure....low tire pressure made it roll over under certain conditions. To date I have yet to hear of a single death in a GX? or even a roll over? That my friend is why I call BS!!!

A NO BUY label is a death sentence from CR for any vehicle.

Last edited by Mike450h; 04-16-10 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-16-10, 09:23 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think what most forget is that this test is done for ALL SUV, not just Lexus and the new GX is one (or one of few) that actually does the sliding. Don't look at this as just CR testing the GX for this, this is done for all vehicles.

I never gave any magazine that takes a "snap shot" of a vehicles life and predicts anything from this over the real-life use of that vehicle. Same holds true for JD Powers surveys, whether they are good or bad for Lexus.

I think Toyota knows there is an issue, they are addressing it, will correct it with a ECU change, and then that's it. CR will retest the vehicles, or possibly the 2011 model, hopefully it then passes and GX is back on "recommended" list.
Old 04-16-10, 09:40 AM
Mike450h
Driver

Why I think you GX owners should be concerned is that, with a NO BUY label even for a short time, the resale or even trade in value will greatly diminish, even if you trade it back to Lexus, as there will be a lot less consumers looking to purchase the car strictly based on CR's one time NO BUY BS TEST! you really think there will be a 2011 GX? LOL
Old 04-16-10, 09:50 AM
dbacf
Driver School Candidate

Toyota would not have halted the sale/manufacture of this car unless they thought this was a major problem... As I have posted before I hope this problem can be easily fixed..

Quick Reply: CR is full of BS