GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Isn't anyone as outraged as me? (Consumer Reports)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 02:11 PM
fins0608
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isn't anyone as outraged as me? (Consumer Reports)

I am really surprised that more people on this board are not outraged about what has occurred with the 2010 GX460.

I took delivery of my new $62,995 2010 GX460 just over a month ago. It has not been licensed yet. While it is yet to be determined whether Lexus can fix the safety defects, the value of this car is virtually worthless after being saddled with the "DO NOT BUY" rating from Consumer Reports. The 2010 Lexus GX460 now joins a dubious group of similarly defective cars that received "DO NOT BUY" ratings, like the Mitsubishi Montero, Isuzu Trooper, and Suzuki Samuri, none of which could be given away today. The difference, of course, is that none of those cars carried a sticker price of $62,995. Given the stigma associated with this rating, I doubt that Lexus will release more 2010 GX460s; it will probably change the model and year in an attempt to stop the bleeding. That leaves 5,000 of us owners with $60,000+ cars that
will be forever cloaked with a "DO NOT BUY" rating from the most recognized consumer product testing group in the world.

I paid $62,995 for a vehicle that I expected - and that Lexus prides itself in advertising and promoting - as a leader in safety. I purchased the car expecting that it would truly be state-of-the-art in safety features. I trusted Lexus to design, test, and manufacture the car with safety as its top priority. The defects in the vehicle are not insignificant and they are not a failure of modern safety devices. Rather, the defect exists in the electronic stability control, which has been a standard safety feature for years. The failure of Lexus to properly design, test and manufacture the vehicle to ensure there are no defects with a standard safety feature is both troubling and unacceptable. I expect more from Lexus, especially in a $62,995 car.

Is there anyone else who feels this way, and if so, what responses have you received from Lexus or dealers? I have demanded that the dealer return my 2008 GX470 that I traded in and I will return the 2010 GX460, but the dealer has not responded.
Old 04-14-10, 02:32 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fins0608
I am really surprised that more people on this board are not outraged about what has occurred with the 2010 GX460.

I took delivery of my new $62,995 2010 GX460 just over a month ago. It has not been licensed yet. While it is yet to be determined whether Lexus can fix the safety defects, the value of this car is virtually worthless after being saddled with the "DO NOT BUY" rating from Consumer Reports. The 2010 Lexus GX460 now joins a dubious group of similarly defective cars that received "DO NOT BUY" ratings, like the Mitsubishi Montero, Isuzu Trooper, and Suzuki Samuri, none of which could be given away today. The difference, of course, is that none of those cars carried a sticker price of $62,995. Given the stigma associated with this rating, I doubt that Lexus will release more 2010 GX460s; it will probably change the model and year in an attempt to stop the bleeding. That leaves 5,000 of us owners with $60,000+ cars that
will be forever cloaked with a "DO NOT BUY" rating from the most recognized consumer product testing group in the world.

I paid $62,995 for a vehicle that I expected - and that Lexus prides itself in advertising and promoting - as a leader in safety. I purchased the car expecting that it would truly be state-of-the-art in safety features. I trusted Lexus to design, test, and manufacture the car with safety as its top priority. The defects in the vehicle are not insignificant and they are not a failure of modern safety devices. Rather, the defect exists in the electronic stability control, which has been a standard safety feature for years. The failure of Lexus to properly design, test and manufacture the vehicle to ensure there are no defects with a standard safety feature is both troubling and unacceptable. I expect more from Lexus, especially in a $62,995 car.

Is there anyone else who feels this way, and if so, what responses have you received from Lexus or dealers? I have demanded that the dealer return my 2008 GX470 that I traded in and I will return the 2010 GX460, but the dealer has not responded.
I'm not as outraged as you but felt dissapointed from recent lexus/toyota quality reputation been tarnished. Since I had visit from my local Lexus dealer couple weeks back regarding trading my GX470, they had been calling/email me every single day, then since yesterday no more calls and emails...period, good I waited this long. They probably realized this model had been marked now for possible design flaw.

Last edited by vince22; 04-14-10 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 03:00 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not that worried about the problem, simply because it's not that big of an issue. What surprised me was why CR considered the car to be so unsafe that they put it on the "Do not buy" list. Although CR states ALL cars and SUV's have passed that test EXCEPT for the GX, I don't see how a driver will be faced in that type of situation, and even if you do, I bet you'll do something else to bring the car under control. Yes, to some people it's a big deal, and if one is planning on trading in the GX in 1-2 year's time that could mean a huge depreciation. I'm planning on keeping my car for quite a while (so does Warren Buffett, and I'm proud of that!), so I'm not affected. The worst case scenario Lexus will do to save their reputation is probably to stop selling the GX in North America, but I highly doubt they will do that, as even CR admits that it's probably just a software issue. When Lexus comes up with a solution, it all depends on how CR responds, we'll see.

On the good side, the CR video shows how well the KDSS system had worked; the car was pretty flat when make that turn as such high speed!! Enjoy your GX, as overall it's a very good and luxurious SUV!
Old 04-14-10, 04:39 PM
Troy L
Driver School Candidate

The new GX460 is among other high profile vehicles that presents a slightly higher risk of rollover than a Corvette. This high luxury vehicle is designed for a purpose that is typically not well suited for suicide cornering maneuvers. This can be said for most categories of extended-height vehicles, including the ever-popular minivans. As far as the video is concerned, I believe that Lexus should use it as positive evidence of this vehicle's superior handling characteristics. I expected to see the vehicle skid into an horriffic crash. It's going to take a lot more than what I've seen to convince me that Lexus, especially the 460, is not the best vehicle on the road (by a wide margin). I regret that new owners are having to suffer these temporary setbacks with all the negative press, but I guarantee you this story will have a happy ending. My prediction: within a few months, Consumer Reports will withdraw their criticisms, and, over time, the GX 460 will return to its righful place as one of the most sought after vehicles on the market. By the way, CR could have issued a general cautionary note about the high profile characteristic of this and similar vehicles, but I believe a "Do not Buy" rating is categorically unfair.
Old 04-14-10, 05:07 PM
Balooo2
Driver School Candidate

Default One of the lucky 6,000...

I review forums such as this to obtain useful information about Lexus products…
As an owner of the 2010 GX460 it goes without saying I am very concerned about me and my families’ safety and OTHER peoples safety if the vehicle should ever lose control as alleged it could and the loss of my new vehicles value due to this CR warning.
These forums can be fun place to visit but under the circumstances I now consider this one of few tools to gather information about a situation that could be life or death, again could be life or death we don’t know how safe the GX460 is or is not yet we can only speculate and offer our own opinions. That being said I would hope the tone can come up a notch or two as owners try to make sense of all this. I do not need to read about Girl Scout cookies etc.
For many the GX460 was their “Dream Car” and a huge investment relatively speaking for some and for others it was just another purchase and of course many in the middle, in any circumstance this is an expensive purchase with high expectation.
Please understand there is a lot of fear, anger and frustration out there so some owners will use this forum to vent those emotions o.k., fine…
Will there be a satisfactory fix I believe so; will owners take a financial hit due to this(residual value) let’s not kid ourselves probably yes, was I happy with my GX460 48 hours ago yes. Not too pleased today. Nothing has changed except my perception and truthfully a little bit of bruising to my ego we all like to think we made a wise choice and have the best etc.( I try keep it real).
Hopefully this tread can adjust and stick to providing useful information as we try to get through this, to those who have done so thank you.
Old 04-14-10, 07:47 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Balooo2
I review forums such as this to obtain useful information about Lexus products…
As an owner of the 2010 GX460 it goes without saying I am very concerned about me and my families’ safety and OTHER peoples safety if the vehicle should ever lose control as alleged it could and the loss of my new vehicles value due to this CR warning.
These forums can be fun place to visit but under the circumstances I now consider this one of few tools to gather information about a situation that could be life or death, again could be life or death we don’t know how safe the GX460 is or is not yet we can only speculate and offer our own opinions. That being said I would hope the tone can come up a notch or two as owners try to make sense of all this. I do not need to read about Girl Scout cookies etc.
For many the GX460 was their “Dream Car” and a huge investment relatively speaking for some and for others it was just another purchase and of course many in the middle, in any circumstance this is an expensive purchase with high expectation.
Please understand there is a lot of fear, anger and frustration out there so some owners will use this forum to vent those emotions o.k., fine…
Will there be a satisfactory fix I believe so; will owners take a financial hit due to this(residual value) let’s not kid ourselves probably yes, was I happy with my GX460 48 hours ago yes. Not too pleased today. Nothing has changed except my perception and truthfully a little bit of bruising to my ego we all like to think we made a wise choice and have the best etc.( I try keep it real).
Hopefully this tread can adjust and stick to providing useful information as we try to get through this, to those who have done so thank you.
Finally some wise words and no
Old 04-14-10, 09:01 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

I watched the video, the gx didn't roll over, seems o.k. to me. If had the money, I would buy one today.

Tim
Old 04-14-10, 10:22 PM
Alaska
Rookie

I don't own a GX460. I have watched the CR video and I actually thought the truck handled pretty well. My first impression was "who's gonna be driving like that anyway?"

I sure would feel bummed if I owned one, and be worried that my insurance would go up. However, if Lexus fixes the issue, they will request that the "Do not buy" rating be removed.
Old 04-14-10, 10:26 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont own one but..the news is blowing up like wildfire..it was on a local radio station that has listeners who dont even speak or understand english...
Old 04-14-10, 11:06 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can drive properly and safely and not try to speedy gonzales your way through turns, then you'll be safe. Why is there a need to be outraged? Things happen, Toyota/Lexus has already immediately responded with recommendation to bring the GX to the Lexus dealer in exchange for a loaner until the issue has been solved. I don't know why you're so quick to hate on the very car that you decided to buy, issues like this happen alot, I just saw a Mercedes SL break down in front of the gym today and I always see Mercedes on the side of the road and/or on tow trucks and I almost never see Lexus' on the side of the road. We drive great cars, take pride in your brand and if you feel that horrible this situation, you know what your options are, it's not like they are blocking your calls and refusing to serve you.

If I liked the GX and wanted to purchase one, I wouldn't hesitate for a second because I know that it is a SUV and it is not meant to be driven so fast, everybody knows this, to tip over in an SUV would be a freak accident (heavy swerving to avoid incoming vehicles or just poor driving judgement).