Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-10, 06:03 PM   #1
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Thumbs up Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!

I would like to start a mod threat. Personally I like to keep everything stock, but unfortunately Lexus went cheap in some places so modifications are needed.

Today want to share how to:
- convert turn signals to LEDs
- replace dome lights with LEDs
- replace running board lights with LEDs
- replace parking lights with LEDs
- replace back-up lights with LEDs
- clear bra install (will show final result only) - when you buy the kit, you will get instructions (there is a nice kit for around $230 on Ebay). Buy a good one or have a shop install one for you.

All LEDs in DIY tutorials were purchased from www.v-leds.com LEDs may seem blue on the pictures, but actually are pure white. Personally don't like lights with blue tint. The only LEDs with blue tint are the back-up lights which I will replace as soon as 5k high power are available.

MORE DIY TO COME

Thanks to help from Steve from www.xenondepot.com , shortly I will provide DIY on HID convertion kit (the kit is in route to me as we speak).

Also within the following couple weeks, I am planning to buy Valentine1 radar detector with a concealed display. Will prepare DIY as well.

I would like to replace bulbs in doors with LEDs as well, but currently I don't know how to get to those. It seems you have to remove door pannel. Please share if you know how and done it.

Have fun moding... and please share your DIY
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by Luke27617; 03-23-10 at 06:09 PM..
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 06:06 PM   #2
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Default LED Turn Signals

LED Turn Signals
Attached Images
    
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 06:07 PM   #3
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Default LED Turn Signals - part 2

LED Turn Signals - part 2
Attached Images
    
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 06:08 PM   #4
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Default Dome Lights

Dome Lights
Attached Images
 
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 06:10 PM   #5
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Default Running Board Lights

Running Board Lights
Attached Images
   
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 06:11 PM   #6
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Default Parking Lights

Parking Lights
Attached Images
  
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 06:13 PM   #7
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Default Backup Lights

Backup Lights
Attached Images
  
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 06:15 PM   #8
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Default Clear Bra

Clear Bra - make sure you don't buy cheap stuff. The cheap stuff is very thin and will get yellow very quickly. Don't go cheap on this.
Attached Images
  
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 07:53 PM   #9
ybing
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NV
Posts: 278
Default

Nice job, good reference for me to do it later on when I have time, I will change the parking light for sure, and I want to do the interior, and the running board, it will looks a lot better if it is LED

My dealership install the clear bra for me, you won't tell its on from some distance
__________________
'14 IS350 Ultra White/Rioja Red (Nov 15, 2013 - )
'13 IS250 Nebula Gray/Saddle & Black (Apr 08, 2013 - Nov 15, 2013)
'10 GX460 Starfire Pearl/Black (Mar 12, 2010 - Apr 08, 2013)
'06 IS350 Blue Onyx/Cashmere (Feb 28, 2006 - Feb 28, 2010)

ybing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 09:24 PM   #10
antonio98
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke27617 View Post
I would like to replace bulbs in doors with LEDs as well, but currently I don't know how to get to those. It seems you have to remove door pannel. Please share if you know how and done it.
Luke,

Thanks for the detailed instructions and photos.

I already replaced my running board lights, and yes, I did unscrew the housing on the first one before I figured out I could reach the light from the top.

You do not have to remove the door panel to get to the door lights. They also just pop out like the dome lights. I have attached a photo.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by antonio98; 03-22-10 at 09:33 PM..
antonio98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 09:35 PM   #11
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio98 View Post
Luke,

Thanks for the detailed instructions and photos.

I already replaced my running board lights, and yes, I did unscrew the housing on the first one before I figured out I could reach the light from the top.

Are these the LED's you used for the dome lights, running boards, and parking lights?

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...14849-1-2.html

They're showing as out of stock.

You do not have to remove the door panel to get to the door lights. They also just pop out like the dome lights. I have attached a photo.

Antonio,

THANKS for sharing how to pop up door lights. Looks like I need to buy four more bulbs.

The one I have bought last week looks like are no longer on the web site. I see they still have the 6k version which I don't want due to the blue tint.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...81039-1-2.html

Will e-mail them to see if the will have more soon. Very happy with 5k version as it is pure white.
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 04:02 AM   #12
XenonDepot
ClubLexus HID Kit Sponsor
Trader Score: (9)
 
XenonDepot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,525
KBcarstuff XenonDepot
Default

Great write up!

Steve
__________________



ClubLexus SUPER SALE is on now!! - SAVE $$$
AUTHORIZED LEXUS Parts & Accessories VENDOR SINCE 2004 - SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE
XenonDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 11:47 AM   #13
ybing
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NV
Posts: 278
Default

All the 5K LED are out of stock
__________________
'14 IS350 Ultra White/Rioja Red (Nov 15, 2013 - )
'13 IS250 Nebula Gray/Saddle & Black (Apr 08, 2013 - Nov 15, 2013)
'10 GX460 Starfire Pearl/Black (Mar 12, 2010 - Apr 08, 2013)
'06 IS350 Blue Onyx/Cashmere (Feb 28, 2006 - Feb 28, 2010)

ybing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 02:51 PM   #14
ybing
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NV
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke27617 View Post
I would like to start a mod threat. Personally I like to keep everything stock, but unfortunately Lexus went cheap in some places so modifications are needed.

Today want to share how to:
- convert turn signals to LEDs
- replace dome lights with LEDs
- replace running board lights with LEDs
- replace parking lights with LEDs
- replace back-up lights with LEDs
- clear bra install (will show final result only) - when you buy the kit, you will get instructions (there is a nice kit for around $230 on Ebay). Buy a good one or have a shop install one for you.

All LEDs in DIY tutorials were purchased from www.v-leds.com LEDs may seem blue on the pictures, but actually are pure white. Personally don't like lights with blue tint. The only LEDs with blue tint are the back-up lights which I will replace as soon as 5k high power are available.

MORE DIY TO COME

Thanks to help from Steve from www.xenondepot.com , shortly I will provide DIY on HID convertion kit (the kit is in route to me as we speak).

Also within the following couple weeks, I am planning to buy Valentine1 radar detector with a concealed display. Will prepare DIY as well.

I would like to replace bulbs in doors with LEDs as well, but currently I don't know how to get to those. It seems you have to remove door pannel. Please share if you know how and done it.

Have fun moding...
Will any 194 LED fit? I found some is wedge, 120 and 360 degree, not sure what's the different
__________________
'14 IS350 Ultra White/Rioja Red (Nov 15, 2013 - )
'13 IS250 Nebula Gray/Saddle & Black (Apr 08, 2013 - Nov 15, 2013)
'10 GX460 Starfire Pearl/Black (Mar 12, 2010 - Apr 08, 2013)
'06 IS350 Blue Onyx/Cashmere (Feb 28, 2006 - Feb 28, 2010)

ybing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 05:06 PM   #15
Luke27617
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Luke27617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 611
Default

Spoke with Bill from v-leds.com and they will have more bulbs coming in next week. They have ran 20% off promo and completely sold out on almost everything.

Also I would consider Putco brand. Steve above from www.kbcarstuff.com aka www.xenondepot.com sales those. He is a great help and easy to work with.
Luke27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 05:06 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<<< HID Powerhouse <<< **2008-2013 IS-F H.I.D. and L.E.D. Lighting Upgrades** HIDPH Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace 249 11-24-14 07:28 PM
DIY Door LED Guide AL13NV8D3R GS - Fourth Generation 10 11-11-14 03:24 PM
LED Upgrade Guide JiniJazz RX - Third Generation 26 10-08-12 04:05 PM
3GS Frequently Asked Questions and DIY Thread - Please look here first! passnu2 GS - Third Generation 0 03-05-10 05:44 PM
3GS FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and DIY Thread ★★ New Members Start Here! ★★ FAQ & DIY GS - Third Generation 0 04-13-01 05:00 AM


Tags
460, 5k, 6k, diys, dome, dyi, gx, gx460, gx470, interior, led, lexus, lights, modifications, putco, vleds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info