GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 09:58 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX
You know you can add the side moldings, right?
I heard someone did it, but costed around $1k. I have called Sewell Lexus with no success. Local Lexus has some third party option, but it is just an estetic chrome piece and cost $400. They have tried to get them from Lexus as they few requests and that option is not available. Hopefully someone soon can reproduce them and make some good money.
Old 04-01-10, 03:14 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
I heard someone did it, but costed around $1k. I have called Sewell Lexus with no success. Local Lexus has some third party option, but it is just an estetic chrome piece and cost $400. They have tried to get them from Lexus as they few requests and that option is not available. Hopefully someone soon can reproduce them and make some good money.
hmmm, that was me, so I know it can be done - at least they did it for me and someone else locally and seems like someone else on here ordered from Sewell and last I heard they were going to ship it (wonder what happened with that).

I wonder if they put a stop to it so people who really cared would pay for the premium. Who did you talk to at Sewell and what did they say? Would you want it if it was available? I can ask the parts director. He knows me well from the DVD drama.
Old 04-01-10, 12:10 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

hmmm, that was me, so I know it can be done - at least they did it for me and someone else locally and seems like someone else on here ordered from Sewell and last I heard they were going to ship it (wonder what happened with that).

I wonder if they put a stop to it so people who really cared would pay for the premium. Who did you talk to at Sewell and what did they say? Would you want it if it was available? I can ask the parts director. He knows me well from the DVD drama.
I have spoke with some guy after sending two e-mails with no response. How much did you pay? Wonder what the price is without installation.

I think what they may have done is order as replacement parts (for a body shop or internall work) and something that is not sold to end users and that is why you got them.

Last edited by Luke27617; 04-01-10 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-01-10, 02:39 PM
wannaGX
Driver

I have spoke with some guy after sending two e-mails with no response. How much did you pay? Wonder what the price is without installation.

I think what they may have done is order as replacement parts (for a body shop or internall work) and something that is not sold to end users and that is why you got them.
Here is what my contact at Sewell said: "The moldings by themselves would cost your friend 695.00. The labor I’m not sure. We charge 300.00 when we add those moldings, we have to drill holes in the door, which is more time consuming for the technician. So, they might call to ask their local dealer what they might charge. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions, or if I need to ship the moldings to them."

Let me know if you want me to pm you his email/phone number.
Old 04-01-10, 06:31 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Here is what my contact at Sewell said: "The moldings by themselves would cost your friend 695.00. The labor I’m not sure. We charge 300.00 when we add those moldings, we have to drill holes in the door, which is more time consuming for the technician. So, they might call to ask their local dealer what they might charge. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions, or if I need to ship the moldings to them."

Let me know if you want me to pm you his email/phone number.
Yes, please do PM me the info. I will ask my local body shop how much would the labor cost. I am sure they will do a better job than a random technician drilling holes. Thanks for doing the research!
The following users liked this post:
Galexy (07-11-19)
Old 04-01-10, 06:39 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Yes, please do PM me the info. I will ask my local body shop how much would the labor cost. I am sure they will do a better job than a random technician drilling holes. Thanks for doing the research!
done.
Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-01-10, 06:42 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

done.
Let us know how it works out.
ty .
Old 04-03-10, 12:41 PM
jaxrwld
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stick on

I purchased the mouldings and stuck them on my self. I just cut the clips and didn't drill holes. The doulbe face tape should be enough to hold if you prep it right.
Old 04-03-10, 05:00 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaxrwld
I purchased the mouldings and stuck them on my self. I just cut the clips and didn't drill holes. The doulbe face tape should be enough to hold if you prep it right.
Can you share some pictures? Did they come painted to match color of your car? You have mentioned that you have not drill holes. How many clips did each molding come with? I live in NC and summers get really hot. Worries that the tape may let go.
Old 04-03-10, 05:58 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Are you guys kidding me? You just dropped $55K + on a gas guzzler and you're going cheap on the $300 instillation charge? April fool is over. . .
Old 04-03-10, 06:22 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Are you guys kidding me? You just dropped $55K + on a gas guzzler and you're going cheap on the $300 instillation charge? April fool is over. . .
The $300 for install is not a problem. I am fighting the thought of someone drilling holes in perfect new doors. There is a difference when they come with square holes from factory and painted after vs. someone trying to make them.
Old 04-04-10, 04:14 AM
wannaGX
Driver

The $300 for install is not a problem. I am fighting the thought of someone drilling holes in perfect new doors. There is a difference when they come with square holes from factory and painted after vs. someone trying to make them.
Ah. If you're worried about them messing up can you have your Lexus dealer do it? Or do you want to be able to take them off?
Old 04-04-10, 09:55 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Ah. If you're worried about them messing up can you have your Lexus dealer do it? Or do you want to be able to take them off?
Once I buy them, I am not planning to take them off. I have some bad experiences with spoiler installation before on an accord I had before. That is why I am hesitant about drilling holes in the door. This is time is not just a trunk, but four doors.
Old 04-20-10, 10:04 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Still waiting on the LED bulbs, they said will restock on the first week of May...
Old 04-20-10, 10:13 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

What is the order number? Let me look into that for you.

Steve

Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!