GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 04:46 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Luke,

It was my pleasure working with you as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to put together such a detailed and informative review.

Just a couple of things to note:

1) The non-Philips bulbs will have the trigger wires going through the grommet so that GX owners will not need to worry about removing the 2 trigger wires as per your post. We will most likely change this in the future so that all the bulbs have the trigger wires going through the grommet however at the moment the Phlips bulbs do not.

2) Philips bulbs color shift over time meaning that within approximately 100 hours of use the bulbs will reach color temperatures of approximately 4700k meaning that they will give you the crisp color that you are after :-).

Regards,

Steve
Old 03-27-10, 06:28 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
Those after market HID are always better than stock one, but it just need a lot of work to install it, I installed on my IS, but one of the bulb burn after 1 year use
To be honest with you, this can be done within an hour if you know where to mount the kit and know the dimension of hole to drill in the dust cover. Since everyone now knows a good location after reading my post, this should be a quick one.

Bulbs burning out. Like everything mechanical it may happen. I saw many people complianing about fake philips kits on ebay, chineese made kits, etc... Some were hoping that warranty they got with kit will get them a replacement just to find out they are no longer in business. I think if you go with a quality kit like the one I got and from reputable company like www.xenondepot.com, you will not see any problems. If you do Steve stands behind it. I spoke with him at least 2-3 times over telephone when had questions. I know his kits are a little more expensive what you can buy in the market, but you get what you paid for and spending few extra $ is worth it long term.

Last edited by Luke27617; 03-27-10 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-27-10, 06:34 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi Luke,

It was my pleasure working with you as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to put together such a detailed and informative review.

Just a couple of things to note:

1) The non-Philips bulbs will have the trigger wires going through the grommet so that GX owners will not need to worry about removing the 2 trigger wires as per your post. We will most likely change this in the future so that all the bulbs have the trigger wires going through the grommet however at the moment the Phlips bulbs do not.

2) Philips bulbs color shift over time meaning that within approximately 100 hours of use the bulbs will reach color temperatures of approximately 4700k meaning that they will give you the crisp color that you are after :-).

Regards,

Steve

Steve, thanks for the follow up to my post and explanation to my questions during the selection and installation process. Very nice kit.
Old 03-27-10, 06:37 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luke, on the photo of your lights against the garage doors it seems like the aim of your HID's is higher than mine.

Maybe it's the slope of your driveway, but I was wondering if it's possible to adjust the aim of the HID's.
Old 03-27-10, 06:48 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by antonio98
Luke, on the photo of your lights against the garage doors it seems like the aim of your HID's is higher than mine.

Maybe it's the slope of your driveway, but I was wondering if it's possible to adjust the aim of the HID's.
My driveway is flat and level. My lights could be incorrectly aimed as I have non-hid GX460 and the output of original bulbs is lower and maybe Lexus on purpose aim them a little higher. Also since you have factory HID, they come with self-leveling system. If you want to adjust higher I am sure you can. In my GS350 I had to remove the plastic cover and there was a bolt to adjust it. I would be suprised if they have invented something different. Also you can just stop by Lexus dealer and tell them that you think you aim seems to be low and ask them to adjust.
Old 03-27-10, 07:54 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Ok. I'll ask the dealer to check it. Thanks.
Old 03-27-10, 10:57 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
To be honest with you, this can be done within an hour if you know where to mount the kit and know the dimension of hole to drill in the dust cover. Since everyone now knows a good location after reading my post, this should be a quick one.

Bulbs burning out. Like everything mechanical it may happen. I saw many people complianing about fake philips kits on ebay, chineese made kits, etc... Some were hoping that warranty they got with kit will get them a replacement just to find out they are no longer in business. I think if you go with a quality kit like the one I got and from reputable company like www.xenondepot.com, you will not see any problems. If you do Steve stands behind it. I spoke with him at least 2-3 times over telephone when had questions. I know his kits are a little more expensive what you can buy in the market, but you get what you paid for and spending few extra $ is worth it long term.
I did bought it from xenondepot ~ and that one is the very first design which gave me a huge headache, one harness wire don't go through the rubber ring, no way to seal the hole, water went into the head lamp and cause moisture. I removed it because I don't want the lamp getting worse, but the HID fog light was working fine til the day I sold it.

That's why this time I get a car with HID standard lol~ no need to worry anymore
Old 03-27-10, 01:02 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by ybing
I did bought it from xenondepot ~ and that one is the very first design which gave me a huge headache, one harness wire don't go through the rubber ring, no way to seal the hole, water went into the head lamp and cause moisture. I removed it because I don't want the lamp getting worse, but the HID fog light was working fine til the day I sold it.

That's why this time I get a car with HID standard lol~ no need to worry anymore
I want to make sure that I will not have moisture as well as the set up didn't let me seal the hole properly. If you notice I have this brown thing around the seal. I could do it just at the bottom where I have routed additional cable, but have decided to glue to hole thing to make sure it is sealed. I have used this two parts glue which was very dense. Doesn't look pretty, but should work. Non-Philips kit doesn't require routing the additional cable as it is included in the seal. The seal is very tied and as long the hole is no bigger then 18mm accros, it should be sealed very well.

I like the idea of buying with HID already, but unfortunetely you have take the Premium model which has a lot of extra crap and substantial $ hike. Still Lexus should include it standard on a $50k car.

Last edited by Luke27617; 03-27-10 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-27-10, 01:34 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

HID's are also an option on the base model, but most of them are not being delivered to the dealers with this option.
Old 03-27-10, 01:44 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by antonio98
HID's are also an option on the base model, but most of them are not being delivered to the dealers with this option.
I know it is like an $800 option, but doesn't come with standard package they keep sending units with.
Old 03-27-10, 11:13 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I want to make sure that I will not have moisture as well as the set up didn't let me seal the hole properly. If you notice I have this brown thing around the seal. I could do it just at the bottom where I have routed additional cable, but have decided to glue to hole thing to make sure it is sealed. I have used this two parts glue which was very dense. Doesn't look pretty, but should work. Non-Philips kit doesn't require routing the additional cable as it is included in the seal. The seal is very tied and as long the hole is no bigger then 18mm accros, it should be sealed very well.

I like the idea of buying with HID already, but unfortunetely you have take the Premium model which has a lot of extra crap and substantial $ hike. Still Lexus should include it standard on a $50k car.
I'm not sure hows the new package are, but I can't remember did I get the Philips kit or not, I need to route the second cable.

The premium package does cost more, I originally also want to get the basic and add the stuff I want, but it end up almost the same price as premium, and need to wait for 3-4 months. Really wish I could wait that long, so I can get more stuff that I want but I need a car... sighs
Old 03-29-10, 07:58 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just what do you consider extra crap in the Premium model ??

~ Cap
Old 03-30-10, 09:44 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by Capirato
Just what do you consider extra crap in the Premium model ??

~ Cap
Maybe crap is a wrong word. You have to take ML which is just ok. Have it in my GS350 and for sure not worth extra +2k, descent control, air suspension, etc...

The only thing I would want from Premium that I don't have on my base is factory HID lights and side moldings.
Old 03-30-10, 02:43 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I find the "Base" model in Canada is very well-equipped; it's got HID lights, ML audio, and wood steering wheel. While the AVS is nice to have, I don't think I would ever use it.
Old 03-30-10, 05:08 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing I would want from Premium that I don't have on my base is factory HID lights and side moldings.
You know you can add the side moldings, right?

Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!