GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 06:34 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there another way to access the backup lights? I'm having difficulty trying to get the bulb. Also, when installing LED's make sure before you assemble the bulb housing that you test the polarity. If it doesn't turn on then you have to reverse the polarity.
Old 12-02-10, 06:46 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
Is there another way to access the backup lights? I'm having difficulty trying to get the bulb. Also, when installing LED's make sure before you assemble the bulb housing that you test the polarity. If it doesn't turn on then you have to reverse the polarity.
What difficulties do you have to get the bulb out? If I remember correctly I got from the bottom of the truck to replace the backup bulbs without any big problems.
Old 12-02-10, 08:00 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

It's very tight and can barely reach it! I was able to unplug it but it doesn't reach to far down! I am going to try tomorrow one more time!
Old 12-18-10, 07:18 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

A while back I have posted in one of the threads measurements when installing side moldings (from Premium model) you can buy through Sewell. I still get questions for the information, so let me post the picture here where is easier to find. Sorry for lack of drawing abilities.
Attached Thumbnails Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-side.jpg  
Old 12-23-10, 12:38 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Default Valentine 1 with Concealed display wiring

Per request, here it is my Valentine 1 install.

Routing cables is very easy. The side pilar needs to be removed (remove two screws holding the handle). Under the glow compartment there is one screw holding that cover. To remove the center console there are not screws. All you need to do is pop out sides and then pop the center console upwards. Everything else should be self-explanatory by looking at pictures. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-1.jpg   Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-img_4292.jpg   Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-img_4295.jpg   Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-img_4315.jpg   Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-img_4319.jpg  

Old 01-22-11, 03:59 PM
tnguyenmdc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Running Board Lights
Luke,

I've been starting at these running board lights picture that you took. I still can't figure out where they are or how to get to them. Do you crawl underneath the vehicle to get to them? Do you have to remove anything on the running board?

Please help!!!

Thanks,
Old 01-22-11, 04:31 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Originally Posted by MickeyS
You have to reach way up in there from the bottom. It is a tough job but can be done. Skinny arms work good but I don't have skinny arms so it was a tight fit.
Old 01-22-11, 06:38 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by tnguyenmdc
Luke,

I've been starting at these running board lights picture that you took. I still can't figure out where they are or how to get to them. Do you crawl underneath the vehicle to get to them? Do you have to remove anything on the running board?

Please help!!!

Thanks,
It is very easy. Reach out from the top, right over the clear dome which points downward. You will feel a **** with a wire. Just turn the **** like you are trying to replace any other bulb in headlight, fog light, etc... until you are able to pull it out. The wire may feel too short, but will a little tension it will let you turn to the point you can pull it out.
Old 01-22-11, 06:42 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by gxgonz
You have to reach way up in there from the bottom. It is a tough job but can be done. Skinny arms work good but I don't have skinny arms so it was a tight fit.
Actualy is not that hard. On each side below there is a plastic plate held by three screws and one with a star pattern. Unscrew the three of them and you will be able rotate the plate so you have plenty of space to put your arm in. I hope this helps. Without unscrewing the plate I am sure it is very difficult to get there.
Old 01-23-11, 09:45 AM
tnguyenmdc
Driver School Candidate

Actualy is not that hard. On each side below there is a plastic plate held by three screws and one with a star pattern. Unscrew the three of them and you will be able rotate the plate so you have plenty of space to put your arm in. I hope this helps. Without unscrewing the plate I am sure it is very difficult to get there.

Are you referring to the backup light or running board light here?
Old 01-23-11, 10:53 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by tnguyenmdc
Are you referring to the backup light or running board light here?
Running board
Old 01-24-11, 03:56 AM
gxgonz
Rookie

The passenger side was a little tighter because of the muffler being in the way when you rotate the plastic plate.

We are referring to the reverse lights. The running board lights are the easiest of any light on the car to change.
Old 01-24-11, 04:39 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Actually above in two replies I have responded to running board and the backup light question (post 173 & 174). There were two different inquireies.
Old 04-10-11, 08:31 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Per request, here it is my Valentine 1 install.

Routing cables is very easy. The side pilar needs to be removed (remove two screws holding the handle). Under the glow compartment there is one screw holding that cover. To remove the center console there are not screws. All you need to do is pop out sides and then pop the center console upwards. Everything else should be self-explanatory by looking at pictures. Please let me know if you have any questions.
This is a great write up! The only points I'd add:

1. Unscrew the shift ****. Makes it easier to lift the panel.

2. No need to remove "A" pillar/airbag cover. Just use a plastic trim tool (a few bucks at harbor freight) and tuck the V1 cord under the headliner and rubber molding.

3. While you have the panel up, install a second t-tap. Go to Radio shack and get a cigarette socket with cord. Install the second cigarette lighter in the glove box to charge a second device (I have my Ipod in the small compartment with the usb connector, and my phone in the glove box).
Old 05-13-11, 08:58 PM
kevinLA
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Luke
I got my GX 460 on 4/14/11 and now I have finished the lighs mod. Look Great and I dont think to post pictures b/c your pix very clear and enough

I also did DVD hack. So my wife can also watch movie while the car in motion. The phone and other function work as well on Navigator.

This is the link www.prestigioussociety.com if some one interest to mod.

Last edited by kevinLA; 05-13-11 at 08:59 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!