GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-10, 04:44 PM
sawoolse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coat Rims

Has anyone powder coated their rims in a different color?
Old 10-24-10, 11:13 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Hey guy I just wanted to say thank you a ton for helping out with all of the information. Antonio and Luke you comments were extremely helpful. I recently purchased a GX 460 Premium and hated the fog lights right off the bat and those were the first to go LED. As it becomes addictive to modify your car I have continued to transform the rest of the eye sore lights to a clearer brighter white or LED. The DRL's were changed to Sylvania Ultra for now. Parking and puddle lamps were next on the list to go LED. Thinking I might could live with the yellowish interior but as modifying goes I just ordered the dome and door panel lights. Keep the great ideas and help coming. I know it has been months since you have done your light mods but I am just getting started and excited about it. On another modification note, has anyone taken off the running boards or replaced them with N-fab or a rockrail type? I think it might be a good look.
Old 10-25-10, 05:02 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gxgonz
Hey guy I just wanted to say thank you a ton for helping out with all of the information. Antonio and Luke you comments were extremely helpful. I recently purchased a GX 460 Premium and hated the fog lights right off the bat and those were the first to go LED. As it becomes addictive to modify your car I have continued to transform the rest of the eye sore lights to a clearer brighter white or LED. The DRL's were changed to Sylvania Ultra for now. Parking and puddle lamps were next on the list to go LED. Thinking I might could live with the yellowish interior but as modifying goes I just ordered the dome and door panel lights. Keep the great ideas and help coming. I know it has been months since you have done your light mods but I am just getting started and excited about it. On another modification note, has anyone taken off the running boards or replaced them with N-fab or a rockrail type? I think it might be a good look.
Moding is addictive. Glad we were able to help.
Old 11-03-10, 08:02 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Default New LED DRL Module

Here are couple pictures of my newest mod - new DRL module for GX. It is a very high quality prototype I am testing and will be able to share more information around April when the final version is available. Meantime enjoy some pictures. They dim when lights come on. The color is identical to what you see on the Audi or Mercedes. The truck looks great with them. Actually judge it for yourself
Attached Thumbnails Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-drls-on-4.jpg   Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-lights-on-and-drl-dimmed.jpg   Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-dlrs-on-6.jpg  

Last edited by Luke27617; 11-03-10 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 09:32 AM
snair84
Driver School Candidate

Default Removing lower plastic grill/ facia

Hi everybody,

Anyone have suggestions on how I could remove the lower black plastic grill on a 2010 GX 460? I am trying to install some LED DRL's made by phillips. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-10, 10:02 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by snair84
Hi everybody,

Anyone have suggestions on how I could remove the lower black plastic grill on a 2010 GX 460? I am trying to install some LED DRL's made by phillips. Any help would be appreciated.
It may be difficult or take some force to pop it out. Each grill is held from top and bottom. See pictures (both have grill facing forward). I would do all mods while on the bumper. Plastic is soft and easy to work with.
Attached Thumbnails Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-1.jpg   Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-2.jpg  
Old 11-04-10, 10:07 AM
snair84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luke27617
It may be difficult or take some force to pop it out. Each grill is held from top and bottom. See pictures (both have grill facing forward). I would do all mods while on the bumper. Plastic is soft and easy to work with.
Thanks Luke. You are the resident genius here. It was your modding attempts that got me started. To clarify, there are no screws that hold it in place? Just push tabs? So I can pull it off?
Old 11-04-10, 10:17 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Thanks Luke. You are the resident genius here. It was your modding attempts that got me started. To clarify, there are no screws that hold it in place? Just push tabs? So I can pull it off?
Glad to help. Make sure you post pictures of your mods.

I have not popped it out so don't know. The pictures are not mine. Looking at the pictures the bottom may require some force. Top has those holes. I assume there is a screws to hold it. I would try feel with a hand. The easiest access it may from the engine compartment when remove the front plastic cover. Second option and the safest is the remove the front bumper, but that may require a little more work, but could be worth it at the end.

What Philips DRL unit do you have? I think you should be able to install it without removing anything (do all mods on the bumper). My mod required cutting of the plastic grill and it was fairly easy.
Old 11-04-10, 10:39 AM
snair84
Driver School Candidate

Glad to help. Make sure you post pictures of your mods.

I have not popped it out so don't know. The pictures are not mine. Looking at the pictures the bottom may require some force. Top has those holes. I assume there is a screws to hold it. I would try feel with a hand. The easiest access it may from the engine compartment when remove the front plastic cover. Second option and the safest is the remove the front bumper, but that may require a little more work, but could be worth it at the end.

What Philips DRL unit do you have? I think you should be able to install it without removing anything (do all mods on the bumper). My mod required cutting of the plastic grill and it was fairly easy.
I might end up doing just that. Working on the grill with it in place. Where did you get those pics from?

I got these DRL's. http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...tn=12810WLEDX1

I will contact you again when I am ready to install my remote radar detector for pointers to go through the firewall!
Old 11-04-10, 10:50 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

I might end up doing just that. Working on the grill with it in place. Where did you get those pics from?

I got these DRL's. http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...tn=12810WLEDX1

I will contact you again when I am ready to install my remote radar detector for pointers to go through the firewall!
The install of your Philips DRLs should be an easy excercise. Probably the best location will be in the upper left and right corners of the grill (like mine). Cut out a hole the same size as your DRL unit. Then screw in the bracket which holds the DRL upward. If you don't want to screw in, I would use a good two part glue mix and I would glue the bracket in. The DRL unit just snaps in after into the bracket. After that all you have to do is get cables connected which takes couple minutes and plug in to fuse box. There are two fuse locations that are lower amp and are not ON all the time (until your turn the ignition on). Those are rear wipers and rear washer. Here it is a picture of your bracket screwed into a bumper. If the brain of the unit comes with a cable to connect to regular lights so the unit dims when the lights come on, just connect that to one of the side markers (thinner cable).
Attached Thumbnails Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-normal_toyota-supra-027.jpg  

Last edited by Luke27617; 11-04-10 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-04-10, 11:03 AM
snair84
Driver School Candidate

You da man! Thanks
Old 11-04-10, 11:27 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Looking at the picture of the bracket, I have even better idea. When you cut the whole in the grill, you will still have the plastic on top of grill which has double sided tape (sticks to the bumper). Just stick the bracket between the grill and bumper. Even with one screw it will not go anywhere and it will be perfectly leveled as well.
Attached Thumbnails Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-img_0004.jpg   Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-normal_toyota-supra-027.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Chadmacc (07-24-17)
Old 11-04-10, 01:15 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Luke
they look good. They arent very bright though

now how come no one wants my brand new philips LED DRLS..ive been trying to sell them for a while.
Old 11-04-10, 01:28 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
Luke
they look good. They arent very bright though

now how come no one wants my brand new philips LED DRLS..ive been trying to sell them for a while.
Actually they are pretty bright. The picture was taken in a full sun right after the install. If you look at the picture of headlights, you can barely see they are on in one of the pictures. Will take some more pictures and post.

I remember you were trying to sell your Philips. Maybe snair84 didn't buy his yet and is interested in yours.
Old 11-04-10, 02:39 PM
snair84
Driver School Candidate

Actually they are pretty bright. The picture was taken in a full sun right after the install. If you look at the picture of headlights, you can barely see they are on in one of the pictures. Will take some more pictures and post.

I remember you were trying to sell your Philips. Maybe snair84 didn't buy his yet and is interested in yours.
Sorry T4Fun. Just joined the forum today and had already purchased the Philips LED DRL.

Luke, thanks for the pointers. I installed the DRL's and I really like them.

Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!